TT Reels Shootout - Getting Complacent?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
67er
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TT Reels Shootout - Getting Complacent?

Post by 67er » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:19 pm

I can't help but to feel Shimano owns TT after reading the latest CI4 vs Zillion TWS shoot out. I mean, how on earth would anyone be comparing a reel of 34mm spool with CI4 body while the other has a 36mm spool with aluminium body?

Does shimano really wins on price, weight, ergonomics and lower casting weight limit? :roll:

Do you find it strange that the durability comparison is left out which lend to the advantage of Zillions TWS?

I would think a Chronach CI4 VS T3 would make a stronger case of argument.

What do you think?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TT Reels Shootout - Getting Complacent?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Oh boy. I'm simply writing this so I can pull up the thread quickly under "view your posts".

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Well they compared USDM reels. The T3 was discontinued in the USDM market. They probably wanted to compare to current models.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:57 pm

why not? they both priced similarly and are the mid levels of each reel brand.

daiwa messed up wiht the current zillion and that's the fact, lets hope they do good and bring a solid replacement for the steez and pixy.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:47 am

I think since historically the chronarch has always been compared to the zillion it had to be done.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:50 am

Fact is that many felt TT was very Daiwa slanted for years. It may have just been that Daiwa had a much more robust enthusiast offering for the NA market than Shimano. Now, it seems, that the tides have turned and the bean counters that advised Shimano to commit some head scratching product decisions now seem to be employed by Daiwa.
Frankly, the market hangs delicately in the balance with some incredible upstarts like 13 Fishing and restarts like Lews taking a fair swipe of market share in rods, and reels.
If Daiwa re-introduces some monster reels in the Steez and Pixy, we may be in for a hell of a horse race.
Can't wait to hear what Cal has to say. TT is hands down the most thorough and transparent tackle review site in the world and he's proud of it. He'll set you straight ;)

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 am

I think it was fair. Pricepoint and level of build to each respective companies. I dont like either reel personally. I would rather have an E series and a TD Zillion....oh wait...I do! lol

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradbellflower » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:06 am

It's all about opinions and it's clear what most of those are worth. Daiwa v. Shimano, Ford v. Chevy and several others. Sometimes it's all about price point. Any testing procedure is limited by what can be actually measured quantitatively, testing equipment and sample size. At least TT compared reels from the top tier rather than the bottom, like 13 and Lew's or worse yet, that stuff from that communist country.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 am

Are 13 reels and Lews reels the bottom tier of reels? I'm seriously asking, because most customer reviews on those reels seem to be really complementary. Where does Abu Garcia fit in? I consider the $150-$250 range to be the meat of the market. I always considered bottom tier to be the entry level reels of most company's.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:22 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Are 13 reels and Lews reels the bottom tier of reels? I'm seriously asking, because most customer reviews on those reels seem to be really complementary. Where does Abu Garcia fit in? I consider the $150-$250 range to be the meat of the market. I always considered bottom tier to be the entry level reels of most company's.
I wouldn't say bottom tier, but cookie cutter.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 am

The reviews are there to present the facts in an unbiased format.However it is just an informative guideline.
Take the facts and use them as you may.We all have different requirement when it comes to selecting a reel,so take the great info provided together with your preferences and make an educated reel purchase.
Thankfully the great reviews combined with TT user feedback prove to be invaluable.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:30 am

cndbasshunter wrote:why not? they both priced similarly and are the mid levels of each reel brand.

daiwa messed up wiht the current zillion and that's the fact, lets hope they do good and bring a solid replacement for the steez and pixy.
Pretty much. It was a good apples to apples comparison and really revealed a lot.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:22 am

BucketHunter wrote:TT is hands down the most thorough and transparent tackle review site in the world
I agree and this is why it's also my favorite fishing site.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 am

Maybe you should read more of the reviews. Daiwa has come out on top in past reviews. Did Daiwa own TT at that time :talk hand:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 am

njbasscat wrote:Maybe you should read more of the reviews. Daiwa has come out on top in past reviews. Did Daiwa own TT at that time :talk hand:

Truth is, we've always been biased. From day one. Our bias is towards tackle that performs well, period. Only by expecting more from manufacturers will they feel the pressure to deliver product close to your expectations.