Best Spinning Reel Brand For Fluorocarbon ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Spinning Reel Brand For Fluorocarbon ?

Post by ChrisD46 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:51 pm

After spooling FC line properly and not over filling - Have you found a best brand of spinning reel to handle FC line ?
Daiwa and Shimano are on my short list in that 2500 size range - but there may be others ?

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Spinning Reel Brand For Fluorocarbon ?

Post by bradbellflower » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Shimano.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:56 pm

bradbellflower wrote:Shimano.
Shimano has great spinning reels, first small point I'll point out is there Propulsion Line management system, specifically the 45 degree angle on the spool lip. Reduces friction and results in long casts, every body else spinning reels have the traditional "flat-top"

Start with the Stradic and Stradic CI4, if these aren't enough skip Sustain and but the Stella FI

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 am

Thanks for the replies - I had generally heard Shimano had a good spinning reel line management system considered more friendly to FC line . Daiwa is said to have it's "twist buster" line twist reduction technology / ABS spool which also would be a plus for FC line users . Conversely , you don't hear anything similar for reducing line twist from : Abu Garcia , Okuma , Pflueger or Quantum ?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

Shimano spinning is all i use. No problems with flouro.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:34 am

I gave up on Shimano and went to Daiwa. I found that with the shimano reels I had a lot more line twist.

TLee_905
Angler
Angler

Post by TLee_905 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:39 am

You'll always be dealing with line-twist if you use straight fluoro on spinning gear. I go through hundreds of dollars of fluoro each year because of this.

There is really no known solution to this as far as I know. 'Propulsion' from Shimano as previously mentioned is touted as a "Your solution for long accurate casts without tangles, twists or wind knots". But unless that thing untwists the line as it comes off the spool. I just don't see how it can eliminate that problem so many of us straight fluoro on spinning gear deal with. Also the angled lip can make freshly not yet 'settled' fluoro jump off the spool. I'm not shimano bashing here. It's a fluorocarbon thing...

Shimano & Daiwa are both great choices. I would recommend going with the 3000 size spool. I feel slightly larger diameter of the spool helps with coiling due to fluoro's memory. Less tighter coil I guess.

P.S. - Have gone with braid to fluoro. I’m really enjoying the added sensitivity and less aggravation from line management or lack of. And braid backing thing is also working superbly.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 am

I may go to braid + FC leader yet ! ...On a shakyhead set up I think it would be fine .
On my dedicated drop shot outfit - it's going to be straight #6lb. InvizX FC line (with KVD line treatment) on top of mono backing . I'm thinking that drop shot set up has got to work ! ...If by chance it doesn't then it's a copoly line like YoZuri or P-Line CX .

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am

I don't know if it's the best but I'm currently using a Daiwa 2500 Certate with 6lb Tatsu. This combination has worked very well for me. If money is not an issue, I couldn't see how you could go wrong with a Stella.

Gyrfalcon12
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gyrfalcon12 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

I use Shimano Stradic 2500 with no problems.Prior to that I was using
the Stradic 1000 with all types of issues.I'm thinking the small spool was
probably the issue.

bearcatp8
Angler
Angler

Post by bearcatp8 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 am

x2 on the Shimano Stradic 2500. They are all I use.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:25 pm

big_gee wrote:I gave up on Shimano and went to Daiwa. I found that with the shimano reels I had a lot more line twist.
That's kind of funny how I gave up Daiwa and went to Shimano cuz I had more line twists on my Daiwa like 15 some years ago. I guess it can be subjective to individual. I missed that ABS spool design and larger line roller (twist buster) on Diawa's, but the Aero wrap system on a Shimano Stradic was what won me over.

Stradic 2500 get's my approval.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:28 am

I've had good luck with the Stradic FJ's and above. I currently like 13 Certate's (2000 and 2500). They're pretty good with limiting line twist...might be in part to the Neo Cross Wrap it and the higher end Daiwa's use. I just bought an Ignis Type R expecting the same results. I mainly use Tatsu 6lb. I still get line twist but it seems to be dependant on the lure/current...

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:33 am

I have the Steez 2508 and the Ballistic EX 2500 and use 10-12 lb flouro on both of them and have very little twist on either one. As with any Daiwa spinning reel you have to do the opposite from a baitcaster when spooling your spinning reel as in from the bottom of the filler spool than from over the top for a baitcaster because of the rotation of the bail arm. With the twist buster and the "advanced locomotive levelwind and reversed tapered spool this allows "less line twist" while filling your spool.
I haven't found that to be the case with any other reel
Jeff

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:56 am

I've found that FC up to 5lb (Sunline) is pretty well behaved even on older style reels (I use a 'G' series Stella 2500) but as you go to 6/8/10lb line handling gets progressively trickier almost regardless of reel. What I mean is that even with good FC reels like FE Stellas 8-10lb FC isn't great. I've gone to JDM Baitfinesse gear for 8-10lb FC and finesse jigs / SPs - much better approach IMO. Braid + FC leader works well but on fast action rods (eg 6'8" Steez Compile X or GLoomis SJR) it feels a bit too abrupt - no give at all - hard to explain. I fish a lot of kickboats so this problem is more of an issue at short range, less so fishing long casts and deep water.