help me choose the spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnp
Angler
Angler

help me choose the spinning reel

Post by johnp » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:19 pm

I have a new st croix legend tournament bass spinning rod model tbs68mlf the reels I've been looking at so far are the diawa ballistic 2500 ,quantum smoke speed freak 2500,shimano stradic c14 2500,shimano sustain 2500 pfleueger patriarch and the pflueger supreme xt this set up will be used mainly for small and largemouth bass.
i like them all but cant decide what to buy!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: help me choose the spinning reel

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Hard to beat the ci4+ for weight and performance. With a 6'8" rod the ci4+ should balance and feel great. If you go ballistic ex get the 2000 size.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:02 pm

I would suggest the CI4+ 2500 for that rod. Stay away from Quantum spinning reels. They don't last.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:17 pm

stradic all the way

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Another vote for the ci4+

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 am

stradic but maybe think about throwing the lew's team gold into the mix

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 am

Bassmar wrote:I would suggest the CI4+ 2500 for that rod. Stay away from Quantum spinning reels. They don't last.

Not true.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:06 am

stingray23 wrote:
Bassmar wrote:I would suggest the CI4+ 2500 for that rod. Stay away from Quantum spinning reels. They don't last.

Not true.
i've heard on more than one occasion that the quantum reels have durability issues but they seem to be a love hate relationship with most people. the ones with rods/reels that don't break down love em. me on the other hand, i bought an energy e760pt back in the days and that experience was so bad id never touch another quantum reel...came close once when american legacy had a fire sale on the smokes for $100 haha

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:48 am

Chode wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

Not true.
i've heard on more than one occasion that the quantum reels have durability issues but they seem to be a love hate relationship with most people. the ones with rods/reels that don't break down love em. me on the other hand, i bought an energy e760pt back in the days and that experience was so bad id never touch another quantum reel...came close once when american legacy had a fire sale on the smokes for $100 haha

Totally opposite for me and I've fished them exclusively for over 20yrs now. I keep my gear in great condition, but I still use them a lot and have never had a failure with the casting or spinning reels. Hell, the Quantum T.E. Pt rods have been fantastic too. I have now purchased my first Shimanos and am looking forward to the experience of comparing the two, but I will always be a Quantum fan.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 am

The Terminator of spinning reels Image It can't be stopped.

It has a whopping 3 bearings. It's ugly. It doesn't have infinite anti reverse (it does have a gear and cog anti reverse that will never slip) It's not made of exotic interplanetary materials. Enthusiasts will shun you and whisper behind your back.

What it does have is a well earned legendary reputation for durability. It has one of the best drags out of the box that you can get. It will outcast just about any other spinner out there. It handles braid beautifully. Saltwater guys have a hard time killing these reels, and those guys could break an anvil.

Seriously, it's been around unchanged since around 1987 or so ... there are very few of anything with a lifespan like that, especially fishing reels. Google them and see what all of the fuss is about, don't take my word for it 8-)

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:06 am

uljersey wrote:The Terminator of spinning reels Image It can't be stopped.

It has a whopping 3 bearings. It's ugly. It doesn't have infinite anti reverse (it does have a gear and cog anti reverse that will never slip) It's not made of exotic interplanetary materials. Enthusiasts will shun you and whisper behind your back.

What it does have is a well earned legendary reputation for durability. It has one of the best drags out of the box that you can get. It will outcast just about any other spinner out there. It handles braid beautifully. Saltwater guys have a hard time killing these reels, and those guys could break an anvil.

Seriously, it's been around unchanged since around 1987 or so ... there are very few of anything with a lifespan like that, especially fishing reels. Google them and see what all of the fuss is about, don't take my word for it 8-)

Agree. These were top of the line back in the early '90's. I still have my dads from when he bought it in 1992.

johnp
Angler
Angler

Post by johnp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 am

[quote="cndbasshunter"]Hard to beat the ci4+ for weight and performance. With a 6'8" rod the ci4+ should balance and feel great. If you go ballistic ex get the 2000 size.[/quote]

is your preference for the 2000 series over the 2500 series just a size preference or do you have other reasons why you would pick the 2000 over the 2500? I compared the two reels in the drag on the 2000 is 7.9 pounds in the drag on the 2500 is 15.9 pounds so the drag is better on the bigger one but if you're talking size the 2000 definitely looks a lot better on the rod than the 2500 does.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:30 am

johnp wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Hard to beat the ci4+ for weight and performance. With a 6'8" rod the ci4+ should balance and feel great. If you go ballistic ex get the 2000 size.
is your preference for the 2000 series over the 2500 series just a size preference or do you have other reasons why you would pick the 2000 over the 2500? I compared the two reels in the drag on the 2000 is 7.9 pounds in the drag on the 2500 is 15.9 pounds so the drag is better on the bigger one but if you're talking size the 2000 definitely looks a lot better on the rod than the 2500 does.
Just because of the size and weight. The smaller lighter reel will feel nicer on the 6'8" rod n

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:41 am

If you fish mono / fluoro. Go with a bigger size. bigger size spool = less line trouble. If you use braid, choose the one most comfortable to you. Drag smoothness is more important that maximum lb in spinning. Your rod is rated 10lb. Ideally, drag set at 1/3 line rating give you about 3.3lb if you use 10lb line. Do you really want 15.9lb drag lock down on 6lb-8lb line? Need more pressure? just put your finger on the spool.

johnp
Angler
Angler

Post by johnp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:43 am

well I have to say, I just got back from Cabelas and checked out all the reels I mentioned in my original post I ended up with a daiwa ballistic and quantum smoke Speed freak.
I gave the Shimano reels a real good look and eliminated them, my reason for eliminating the Shimano is that if you hold the rotor and moved the handle it had a lot of play in it, I checked probably 5 or 6 reels and they all had play too this also was the case with the sustain and even the stella (Stella not as much as the other Shimano's) daiwa and the quantum pretty much had no play at all!
now I know this is no big deal but I am a machinist by trade and i work with close tolerances and spending that kind of money on a reel with that much play in it I decided not to go with the Shimano, the shimano is probably the great reel but with me it's a psychological thing.