PX Type R - Underrated All Around reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

PX Type R - Underrated All Around reel?

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:30 am

Does anyone else think the PX Type R makes a great all-around reel rather than just finesse? It has a good drag, brass gears, with a longer handle pretty good power. Good all around inches per turn, super smooth and tight tolerances. To me the only limiting factor is the spool size which isn't an issue if using braid or mono in the 10 to 12 pound range. It seems to be right at home casting over 1/2 ounce baits just as much as with under 1/4 oz. It to me a great all around reel that can do everything and lets you also cast effectively with a little lighter baits than your rod would allow with most reels.

Am I missing something or do other people use this as an all-around reel where line capacity isn't an issue?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: PX Type R - Underrated All Around reel?

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:31 am

hungry_cow wrote:Does anyone else think the PX Type R makes a great all-around reel rather than just finesse? It has a good drag, brass gears, with a longer handle pretty good power. Good all around inches per turn, super smooth and tight tolerances. To me the only limiting factor is the spool size which isn't an issue if using braid or mono in the 10 to 12 pound range. It seems to be right at home casting over 1/2 ounce baits just as much as with under 1/4 oz. It to me a great all around reel that can do everything and lets you also cast effectively with a little lighter baits than your rod would allow with most reels.

Am I missing something or do other people use this as an all-around reel where line capacity isn't an issue?
awesome all around reel for braid or 10-12 finesse fc use.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:27 am

What you have pointed out is so true, same thing is said about the Alpha platform. The PX's & Alpha/Sol/Zonda have strong drive trains and are stronger than most of the newer light reels.
Last edited by BigG on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:38 am

anything under 20lb braid, i get line digging on bc. u guys have that problem too?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:55 am

Chode wrote:anything under 20lb braid, i get line digging on bc. u guys have that problem too?
Nope. I use 20lb sx1 on many BC and no issues.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:50 am

I do at times with 20lb PP but it's nothing major. It's only when I'm snagged on something and I try to pull it off. I just know that my next cast I have to be careful and that cast is usually just to fix the digging. It's not a big deal to me because it doesn't happy too often.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:17 am

Drag setting has a lot to do with dig-in as well, correct? Barring deep backlashes of course... 'Cause none of us still backlash... [-X :lol:

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 am

I agree with what's been posted here about the Pixy/ Alphas platforms, this past weekend I mounted my tried and true
original purple alphas on a Megabass F6-69X Super Destroyer with 30# braid and went to town on some serious bass
hitting the feed bag in 49 degree water! The Alphas never fails to impress. =D>

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:28 pm

I hadn't really thought of the PX type R just being basically a Magnesium Alpha and that is thought of as a good all-around reel.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 pm

I couldn't agree with you more. Up north, we tend to throw lighter stuff. The PX-R makes a perfect all arounder.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:37 am

The spool capacity makes it useless as an all-purpose unless I used 8 lb mono or smaller for me.

I don't do enough pitching to justify it.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:14 am

I have 15 power pro on mine and have no issue

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 am

I've had 50lb braid on mine at one time, pitchin jigs into nasty lay down. It was great for that. I pretty much keep 10lb braid on it now for some of my finesse jigs and lighter TRigs. The reel is a pitchin machine!

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:32 pm

been using 10 lb 832 braid on mine for about 3 years now. No issues with dig so far.