Date my Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Date my Daiwa

Post by africanbass » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:51 am

jeff h wrote:Just wanted to share a quick comment on this reel.....

While it feels a little strange in hand and the old technology is... well overall the age of this reel shows itself in use, but....after adding bearings to the spool in place of the bushings this old reel casts WAY better than I had hoped it would. I am quite surprised and it is matching some very nice modern BFS reels in distance so far.
I have to agree, with the correct settings I can cast up there with any of the new fancy daiwa reel offerings.
Refinement, weight and lack of palmability kill it for sure. Great for nostalgia yeah \:D/
I just can't live without anti reverse :lol:

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Purely nostalgic, but it's still surprising and I have not even made any attempts to tune that very simple 2 pin braking system. The lack of AR is definitely it's most irritating feature.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm

The Daiwa Procaster PM-100 first appears is Daiwa US catalogs in 1982. The page reads "Now - Daiwa has expanded Procaster series into a complete series of ultralight, light and intermediate baitcasting reels. Procaster Minis, for lines down to 4 pound test, and very light lures..."

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 am

Reel Old Geezer... I very much appreciate you sharing that information!

danieljanse
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by danieljanse » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:24 am

I just came into possession of one of these reels and was hoping to get the info on where to get bearings that will replace the bushings. Thanks

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:59 pm

jeff h wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 am
Nice! I also still have my PL-100 that I bought new. I just don't remember what year, but seems it would have been prior to 1980??
1980-1981
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:11 pm

This is what I was picturing... but I didn't go back nearly far enough.

My first decent baitcaster was some version of this reel. I was hooked immediately.

DaveJ