Smoothest Baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Smoothest Baitcaster

Post by tonyex » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:43 am

IAY wrote:new Conquest by far.
X2. That reels can't be touched. //T

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 am

A couple things keep popping into my head.

I've had two identical reels purchased new and one be smoother than the other right out of the box side by side.

I've had reels that when I do a complete rebuild with factory parts ( Spool/pinion/anti reverse bearings, inner tube, main/pinion gears ) they sometimes turn out surprisingly smooth. I just had this recently happen on a Curado 200e7 I rebuilt for a friend. The reel has spent its whole life as a inshore reel and was in rough shape. I had a chance to fish it last week out of his boat and I'm still shaking my head as I've never felt a Cu/Ch/Scorpion 200e feel like this one. Butter !!!

It's been a couple of years now but I purchased a Cl200A from a member here. The reel was used but in like new condition. Upon my first outing with it throwing mid diving cranks I was left sorta confused on how it was smooth but no wheres near where I had placed the bar for a Calais. I came home a little disappointed. After a couple of days of thinking about it I tore it down. Inside was still super clean as it had come from Shimano. Just for the heck of it while I was in it I replaced the pinion bearing. Next outing after chunking it a few times I was amazed as it didn't feel close to the same reel anymore and was smooth !
I think back that if I had not changed that pinion bearing I would have deemed the Cl200A as not being in a class of refinement it deserves.

Guess point being there are all sorts of possibilities of how and why one reel may be smoother than another.
Yes you have a higher chance/better odds of getting a smooth reel ( Conquest/Antares/Ryoga ) at a higher price point but that's not always a guarantee.
On the other end of the spectrum every now and then a mid tier reel pops up and leaves me shaking my head and going WOW!

I'm sure Ian has tuned some mid grades that have turned out slick as snot ! :lol:
Or a higher end reel not take the tune as well as he expected ( although to an average angler still be mind boggling) ... Yet the exact same model the following week be out the park !

It's interesting to see different models getting listed and the differences in opinions ....

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:30 am

jpd0144 wrote:A couple things keep popping into my head.

I've had two identical reels purchased new and one be smoother than the other right out of the box side by side.

I've had reels that when I do a complete rebuild with factory parts ( Spool/pinion/anti reverse bearings, inner tube, main/pinion gears ) they sometimes turn out surprisingly smooth. I just had this recently happen on a Curado 200e7 I rebuilt for a friend. The reel has spent its whole life as a inshore reel and was in rough shape. I had a chance to fish it last week out of his boat and I'm still shaking my head as I've never felt a Cu/Ch/Scorpion 200e feel like this one. Butter !!!

It's been a couple of years now but I purchased a Cl200A from a member here. The reel was used but in like new condition. Upon my first outing with it throwing mid diving cranks I was left sorta confused on how it was smooth but no wheres near where I had placed the bar for a Calais. I came home a little disappointed. After a couple of days of thinking about it I tore it down. Inside was still super clean as it had come from Shimano. Just for the heck of it while I was in it I replaced the pinion bearing. Next outing after chunking it a few times I was amazed as it didn't feel close to the same reel anymore and was smooth !
I think back that if I had not changed that pinion bearing I would have deemed the Cl200A as not being in a class of refinement it deserves.

Guess point being there are all sorts of possibilities of how and why one reel may be smoother than another.
Yes you have a higher chance/better odds of getting a smooth reel ( Conquest/Antares/Ryoga ) at a higher price point but that's not always a guarantee.
On the other end of the spectrum every now and then a mid tier reel pops up and leaves me shaking my head and going WOW!

I'm sure Ian has tuned some mid grades that have turned out slick as snot ! :lol:
Or a higher end reel not take the tune as well as he expected ( although to an average angler still be mind boggling) ... Yet the exact same model the following week be out the park !

It's interesting to see different models getting listed and the differences in opinions ....
Agreed. I have a Curado 200E7 that was never smooth. Replaced the gear set and pinion bearing, still not smooth. Replaced the gear set with a Chronach 200E6 gear set and it is now super smooth - not as smooth my Metanium but very nice to use.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:54 am

Ryoga/Z2020

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Antares HG

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:54 pm

@Strewth what gear ratio is your Metanium?

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:33 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:What is your smoothest baitcasting reel?
I have a bunch of Daiwa's (HSTA's,Fuego's & TD-Z's) that anybody would be happy to fish with. One Fuego in particular is absolutely flawless. :D

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:22 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:@Strewth what gear ratio is your Metanium?
6.2. Perhaps lower gearing is better for smoothness due to the different angles on the gear teeth?

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lawaia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Conquest 51/ 2014 CQ 201
Although I have to say, my Ryoga 2020 is right up there

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Strewth wrote:
6.2. Perhaps lower gearing is better for smoothness due to the different angles on the gear teeth?
I think I will order 6.2 gear ratio and see.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 am

New Antares 5.6:1. HG model is very close as well. Metanium XG, HG and CH CI4+ are very smooth as well but cannot match the Antares. Like butter with a big crankbait attached.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 am

I don't have a dog in the fight but it speaks volumes when Cal says the Antares is the smoothest reel he's ever used. This is taking into consideration all the high end reels he owns and uses.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:24 am

My supertuned Curado BSF is smoother than my Calais stock reel.

It's amazing what some of these reels "could" feel like, if they weren't manufactured by the millions without strict QC.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:15 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:My supertuned Curado BSF is smoother than my Calais stock reel.

It's amazing what some of these reels "could" feel like, if they weren't manufactured by the millions without strict QC.
Yep.

With smoothness- Having bought multiples of the same reels from the same place- I think a lot of times it comes down to who put the reel together/did the final touches.

An over-greased bearing, or a gear set that got a little extra polishing can equal a big difference in how smooth it is.

*and I fully agree about the super tuning.
I sent some of my old Daiwa PT33's to e_bassfisher to work his magic on.
Those old reels came back smoother than my stock Calais/chron D's. :shock: Literally feels like the gears are made of ice.
I can only imagine what my Calais's & Chron D's will feel like when they get the royal treatment(hopefully this winter).

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:36 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Strewth wrote:
I think I will order 6.2 gear ratio and see.
I don't think the gear ratio really has anything to do with it, in my opinion. I have1 hg and 2 xg and to me what makes the big difference in feel is the x-ship combined with the micro gearing .imo