Tatula T-Wing Grooving

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tatula T-Wing Grooving

Post by ctgalloway21 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:10 pm

so I noticed tonight I am having line fraying. Checked my reels when I got home and 5 out of 7 Tatulas have T-Wing grooving. This is not cool. I am assuming Daiwa will send me the updated, non grooving T-Wings when I call on Monday. I have been from Abu, to Lews, to Shimano, and finally settled on Daiwa and had no problems until this. I am hoping there is a newer updated T-wing I can just swap in and keep with Daiwa.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tatula T-Wing Grooving

Post by ctgalloway21 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:26 pm

and for reference, I only use Sunline Sniper, Defier, and Defier Armilo

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Under magnification, I can see wear starting at the same two spots on a Tatula I have used less than 10 hours, all with Sunline BMS fluorocarbon. When grooving claims started surfacing here, I was a skeptic. I am not one anymore.

Please update with Daiwa's response.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 am

GrooveGate? Tagroovela? Groovetula? There needs to be a name for this, especially with the majority of members defending Daiwa and being skeptical of the low post count users that initially claimed the issue ( me included ).

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:48 am

BucketHunter wrote:GrooveGate?.
you have won the internet this month. no idea how this hasn't been called that before. well done!

i still have 2 tatulas with grooves as well.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 am

I know they have redone the T-Wing so I am hoping to get them sent to me next week. I will update when I contact them tomorrow. Should be an easy fix just to put the new T-wing in and don't have to worry about it but it is obvious that the first run of Tatulas had a bad T-Wing.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:12 am

Just contact Daiwa in the AM. You will be taken care of. i truly hate to hear of anyone having an issue with their gear. It can be frustrating no matter the brand so please just take a second and contact them and let them know. If I can help in any way please feel free to let me know.

To address some other comments on this thread. Its not really so much a conspiracy or Groovegate we just were not having people send them in early on so Daiwa was not seeing them with grooves. Still have not had a ton returned to date. In addition none were getting returned to retailers when the first reports og it were coming out occasionally. It was frustrating as guys would say they had issues then never send the reels in. You can't address what you cannot see. That was a huge factor in some of it as well.
If there truly is an issue Daiwa will make it right. They have great CS and like all good companies they care about the product they put out and want their customers happy.

Never hesitate to contact them if you have any questions or issues.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks M. Perry. I have been through Lew's, Abu, Shimano, etc. and am finally happy with Daiwa. I know it is a quick fix. The only thing that sucks is I Have a trip planned for this upcoming weekend to South GA to chase Shoal Bass. Not sure how I will manage it now being down all of my main reels.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:59 pm

a quick response this weekend was that I am overspooling and adding pressure which I don't think is the case. They told me to call this morning which I am about to.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:46 am

ctgalloway21 wrote:a quick response this weekend was that I am overspooling and adding pressure which I don't think is the case. They told me to call this morning which I am about to.
It seems that if overspooling is the problem, then Daiwa should put a mark or line or some sort of marker on the spool to indicate proper spooling.
I don't have a Tatula, but I do have 3 Zillion TWS reels,so far no problems.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:57 am

Ok, I talked to customer service. They are gonna swap out the T-Wings to the newer one. Thing is I got to send in all 7 of them and it will probably be 3 weeks to get them back, which is unfortunate. I got a big trip this weekend and a big tourney in 3 weeks. Guess I will have to use spinning reels and saltwater baitcasters. lol

billjaco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by billjaco » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:05 am

ctgalloway21 wrote:Ok, I talked to customer service. They are gonna swap out the T-Wings to the newer one. Thing is I got to send in all 7 of them and it will probably be 3 weeks to get them back, which is unfortunate. I got a big trip this weekend and a big tourney in 3 weeks. Guess I will have to use spinning reels and saltwater baitcasters. lol
Would it be possible to have customer service sell you the new t-wings as a replacement part, then refund the purchase price after they have received and inspected the damaged parts? Might get you up and running a little sooner. Fax them a photo of the seven damaged reels so they know you are on the level with your problem.

Three weeks seems like too long in this day and age, if you want to be recognized for great customer service.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am

I tried and they said they had to have the original parts. I am in Alabama and they are in California. It will take 3 or 4 days to get out there, 3 to 5 days to fix it and then 3-5 days to get back to AL. Not counting weekends, that will be 3 weeks roughly.

Based on my phone call with Daiwa, they kinda acted like they knew nothing of it. They told me they redid the T-wing and the newer one is a lot thinner up top. The pic below shows the original size t-wing and then the updated t-wing on the Tatula HD. He told me the smaller, updated T-wing did not have grooving issues. I am sending them all anyways with a letter to make sure all T-wings are in proper shape and the most current one available.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:53 am

and I was going to buy one this week.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 pm

BigAl23 wrote:and I was going to buy one this week.
still worth it imo