Daiwa's Icast releases

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa's Icast releases

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 am

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 am

Damn! now watch the JDM SS SV sales skyrocket! :lol:

I'm quite happy with the 2 I have, been saying so from the get go!

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 am

389Maverick wrote:
JWR075 wrote:
Aaronb wrote:
Cracker wrote:USDM Steez SV, ICAST Coverage
Steez SV Series: All speculation is over. Daiwa is officially bringing over the 2014 JDM SS SV. Upgraded even from the JDM version, the Steez SV features 12 bearings instead of 8. Our guess is the extra bearings are in the knobs, but one thing missing in the USDM version of this reel is the low gear ratio option of 5.3:1. The Steez SV is available in 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 only. The JDM version is available in 5.3:1, 6.3:1, and 7.1:1. Price point for the new Steez SV baitcaster is $399.95.
Still can't understand...
USDM Steez SV - that reel is close to JDM SS SV by characteristics + extra bearings or it's close to JDM Steez SV?

And which reel is better USDM Steez SV or JDM Steez SV Limited?
I don't know where that quote came from. It makes no sense to say that the new USDM Steez SV is an upgraded SS SV. If that's the case anyone who bought a JDM Steez Limited reel was actually buying an SS SV Limited reel. The reel would need to be opened up and see if they put the weaker single drag in the new Steez similar to the SS. Also to see if there were any other internal changes similar to the SS reels. I'm guess if there's no low gear option it's because they're using the better gear and drag setup that the Steez has.
I found the quote. It came from TT''s Icast coverage. But like I said it appears to be a merger of the Limited (mag frame and Zion side plate) and the SV (SV spool and matte black color) plus the nose piece does not look as pointed and angular as the SS. Also the price point is way off since the SS can be found overseas for less than $250.00 U.S. dollars but a lot closer to the JDM Steez SV which sales for around $400.00 U.S. dollars. Also the new U.S. Steez appears to have a clicking cast control knob but the SS (non Air version) does not have.
I’m not sure why it would even be an issue trying to resolve the JDM equivalent to the US Steez SV and vice versa 8-[
We’ve got plenty of options to choose from at different price points.

Ltd SV, Ltd TN, SS SV, and now a Steez SV.

I’m a happy camper \:D/ considering price point will be 400$, for once I might consider buying a US Steez.
Two major differences between the Steez and the SS was the drag and the clicking cast control knob. If we are to believe that this is just a USDM version of the SS then it would be a down grade compared to the previous versions of the Steez. The SS was always created to be the "Fuego" of the Steez family but according to TT, it is now the premier US Daiwa reel. If it is a SS then it is a waste of money since you can get a new SS from Japan for less than $240.00 and even the SS Air for less than $285.00.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 am

After reading it, it sounds like either the U.S. Steez is a rip off (since the JDM SS can be obtained for less than $230.00 U.S. lanes) or that some one did not know that the latest JDM Steez had SV spools and Zaion side plate (both limited versions featured Zaion side plate and clicking cast control knob, something the SS was lacking).

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:48 am

I assume US Steez is EX. JDM Steez SV 6.3 is except for the spool identical to EX. These reels have magnesium side plate. I have both Steez SV and SS SV, the feeling is not comparable, Steez feels much smoother and better, it also casts longer.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 am

I am very confused with what Daiwa is doing here. Also with the TT description for the USDM Steez SV.

They brought the Alphas SV over as the SV105, but the high speed is only available in a lefty? We are always told sales are 3:1 or greater right vs left. Go lefties!

TT states the new USDM Steez SV is an upgraded JDM SS SV. Does that simply mean it has a single drag stack? If that is the case, that is very disappointing.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:23 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:I am very confused with what Daiwa is doing here. Also with the TT description for the USDM Steez SV.

They brought the Alphas SV over as the SV105, but the high speed is only available in a lefty? We are always told sales are 3:1 or greater right vs left. Go lefties!

TT states the new USDM Steez SV is an upgraded JDM SS SV. Does that simply mean it has a single drag stack? If that is the case, that is very disappointing.
It looks like the Steez is a Steez EX SV to me, not the SS SV.

The SV105 is only available in low gear righty, lefties and righties get the 7:1.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 am

the hooligan wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:I just want the spools.
x2 :)
X3

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 am

Teal101 wrote:
RMCatchNrelease wrote:I am very confused with what Daiwa is doing here. Also with the TT description for the USDM Steez SV.

It looks like the Steez is a Steez EX SV to me, not the SS SV.

The SV105 is only available in low gear righty, lefties and righties get the 7:1.
To me the USDM appears to have a lot in common with the limited Steez released in Japan.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 am

Thank you for clarifying the right/left concern.

As for the Steez, I am only confused because TT states it is the imported SS SV rebranded as a Steez with 12 vs 8 bearings. To me it looks like a steez, but they held it and spoke to the Reps first hand. Let's hope it is a typo/mistake. The sideplate is not a real concern to me, but the single stack drag of the SS SV is weak.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:08 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:Thank you for clarifying the right/left concern.

As for the Steez, I am only confused because TT states it is the imported SS SV rebranded as a Steez with 12 vs 8 bearings. To me it looks like a steez, but they held it and spoke to the Reps first hand. Let's hope it is a typo/mistake. The sideplate is not a real concern to me, but the single stack drag of the SS SV is weak.
Is it that the single stack is weak or than we have grown to expect high drag rates. I ask this because the original Steez had a drag that was rated at 8.8lbs and only increased with the EX version. The SS's drag tested at 8.82lbs which is right in line with the original Steez.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:00 am

Keep in mind that the two reels are very similar and also that TT referred to the ss sv as a steez in disguise. As of now, it is hard to say whether this new steez will uphold the level of refinement expected in a flagship reel, so comparing it to the similar SS SV does not entail anything concrete until the reel is put to the test.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:18 am

JWR075 wrote:

Is it that the single stack is weak or than we have grown to expect high drag rates. I ask this because the original Steez had a drag that was rated at 8.8lbs and only increased with the EX version. The SS's drag tested at 8.82lbs which is right in line with the original Steez.
I was told multiple drag stack by an Icast attendee.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:28 am

389Maverick wrote:
JWR075 wrote:

I was told multiple drag stack by an Icast attendee.
Cool but then TT was off calling it a 2014 JDM SS since the SS is single stack. But personally I have no issues with the original Daiwa 8.8lb drag.
Last edited by JWR075 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Does anyone know the length of the new USDM Steez SV handles? I'm hoping 90mm so that I only have to change the knobs on the Steez and the SV 103.