Daiwa's Icast releases

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa's Icast releases

Post by JWR075 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:03 pm

So this year Daiwa brings out the...

Steez SV - glad to see a little drop in price plus the SV spool.
SV103 - many are excited the original Zillion makes a return with an updated spool but appears it lost the clicking cast control, no weight and no decrease in cost.
Alpha 105SV - cool we get a affordable finesse reel but the cost compared to the JDM version will be a turn off to the TT' crowd because we know we can get them cheaper from Japan.
TWS Zillion HD - for fans of the TWS family this is a nice reel but the Morethan PE can be found for the same price.
Fuego - a conventional design of a mid level reel and in my opinion a disservice to the original Fuego (much like they did with the Presso rods and Ardito rods.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa's Icast releases

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 pm

I just want the spools.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:I just want the spools.
x2 :)

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 pm

USDM Steez SV, ICAST Coverage
Steez SV Series: All speculation is over. Daiwa is officially bringing over the 2014 JDM SS SV. Upgraded even from the JDM version, the Steez SV features 12 bearings instead of 8. Our guess is the extra bearings are in the knobs, but one thing missing in the USDM version of this reel is the low gear ratio option of 5.3:1. The Steez SV is available in 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 only. The JDM version is available in 5.3:1, 6.3:1, and 7.1:1. Price point for the new Steez SV baitcaster is $399.95.
Still can't understand...
USDM Steez SV - that reel is close to JDM SS SV by characteristics + extra bearings or it's close to JDM Steez SV?

And which reel is better USDM Steez SV or JDM Steez SV Limited?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Will we see a Zillion TWS Type R SV in the future?? Don't think the OG Zillion SV spool will fit the TWS. ](*,) ](*,)

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Cracker wrote:USDM Steez SV, ICAST Coverage
Steez SV Series: All speculation is over. Daiwa is officially bringing over the 2014 JDM SS SV. Upgraded even from the JDM version, the Steez SV features 12 bearings instead of 8. Our guess is the extra bearings are in the knobs, but one thing missing in the USDM version of this reel is the low gear ratio option of 5.3:1. The Steez SV is available in 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 only. The JDM version is available in 5.3:1, 6.3:1, and 7.1:1. Price point for the new Steez SV baitcaster is $399.95.
USDM Steez SV - that reel is close to JDM SS SV by characteristics + extra bearings or it's close to JDM Steez SV?

I don't know where that quote came from. It makes no sense to say that the new USDM Steez SV is an upgraded SS SV. If that's the case anyone who bought a JDM Steez Limited reel was actually buying an SS SV Limited reel. The reel would need to be opened up and see if they put the weaker single drag in the new Steez similar to the SS. Also to see if there were any other internal changes similar to the SS reels. I'm guess if there's no low gear option it's because they're using the better gear and drag setup that the Steez has.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Aaronb wrote:

I don't know where that quote came from. It makes no sense to say that the new USDM Steez SV is an upgraded SS SV. If that's the case anyone who bought a JDM Steez Limited reel was actually buying an SS SV Limited reel. The reel would need to be opened up and see if they put the weaker single drag in the new Steez similar to the SS. Also to see if there were any other internal changes similar to the SS reels. I'm guess if there's no low gear option it's because they're using the better gear and drag setup that the Steez has.
I found the quote. It came from TT''s Icast coverage. But like I said it appears to be a merger of the Limited (mag frame and Zion side plate) and the SV (SV spool and matte black color) plus the nose piece does not look as pointed and angular as the SS. Also the price point is way off since the SS can be found overseas for less than $250.00 U.S. dollars but a lot closer to the JDM Steez SV which sales for around $400.00 U.S. dollars. Also the new U.S. Steez appears to have a clicking cast control knob but the SS (non Air version) does not have.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:22 pm

Regarding the US Alphas retail price...keep in mind its close to the retail price of the JDM reel(japan tackle lists it at $263), but we all know reels are available at a discount and that is why we can get a JDM one for $200-210. I would bet we'll be able to get the US version for around $215 (20% off retail) on Ebay and other sites, after the initial release rush is over.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:33 pm

blakjack23 wrote:Regarding the US Alphas retail price...keep in mind its close to the retail price of the JDM reel(japan tackle lists it at $263), but we all know reels are available at a discount and that is why we can get a JDM one for $200-210. I would bet we'll be able to get the US version for around $220-230 or so, after the initial release rush is over.

But when comparing retail to retail cost there is no reason to buy the USDM version outside of instant gratification. Japan Tackle prices are high even compared to Plat and reel (pun intended) high compared to JP Angler where it sales for sub $185.00. Plus the JDM version is slightly (.2oz) lighter according to specs. Heck looking at Japan Tackle prices the Alpha SV can be had right now for less than $230.00.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 pm

blakjack23 wrote:Regarding the US Alphas retail price...keep in mind its close to the retail price of the JDM reel(japan tackle lists it at $263), but we all know reels are available at a discount and that is why we can get a JDM one for $200-210. I would bet we'll be able to get the US version for around $215 (20% off retail) on Ebay and other sites, after the initial release rush is over.
I'm never going to buy any USDM Daiwa or Shimano reels, because they continue to discriminate right handed folks by not selling left handed reels in low gear ratio's. For instance Daiwa only offers one gear ratio option for US Alphas left handed reel.
Japan offers two options :D

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:48 pm

TommyG wrote:Will we see a Zillion TWS Type R SV in the future?? Don't think the OG Zillion SV spool will fit the TWS. ](*,) ](*,)

The JDM Morethan SV PE is it....maybe a slight deeper SV spool though.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 pm

JWR075 wrote:
Aaronb wrote:

I found the quote. It came from TT''s Icast coverage. But like I said it appears to be a merger of the Limited (mag frame and Zion side plate) and the SV (SV spool and matte black color) plus the nose piece does not look as pointed and angular as the SS. Also the price point is way off since the SS can be found overseas for less than $250.00 U.S. dollars but a lot closer to the JDM Steez SV which sales for around $400.00 U.S. dollars. Also the new U.S. Steez appears to have a clicking cast control knob but the SS (non Air version) does not have.
I’m not sure why it would even be an issue trying to resolve the JDM equivalent to the US Steez SV and vice versa 8-[
We’ve got plenty of options to choose from at different price points.

Ltd SV, Ltd TN, SS SV, and now a Steez SV.

I’m a happy camper \:D/ considering price point will be 400$, for once I might consider buying a US Steez.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:54 pm

JWR075 wrote:
Aaronb wrote:

Wells both Steez Limited reels have the Zaion side plate and SV spools. The Limited Steez and SS SV reels are similar. It looks like the new Steez is actually identical to the JDM Steez. They only just painted it a different color. The trim around the driveshaft is identical to the 105 Steez Limited. Compared to the black plastic on the SS side plate.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:55 pm

389Maverick wrote:
JWR075 wrote:
Aaronb wrote:

I’m not sure why it would even be an issue trying to resolve the JDM equivalent to the US Steez SV and vice versa 8-[
We’ve got plenty of options to choose from at different price points.

Ltd SV, Ltd TN, SS SV, and now a Steez SV.

I’m a happy camper \:D/ considering price point will be 400$, for once I might consider buying a US Steez.
I think I'll be on board with picking one of these up as well. :big grin:

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 am

JWR075 wrote:So this year Daiwa brings out the...

Steez SV - glad to see a little drop in price plus the SV spool.
SV103 - many are excited the original Zillion makes a return with an updated spool but appears it lost the clicking cast control, no weight and no decrease in cost.
Alpha 105SV - cool we get a affordable finesse reel but the cost compared to the JDM version will be a turn off to the TT' crowd because we know we can get them cheaper from Japan.
TWS Zillion HD - for fans of the TWS family this is a nice reel but the Morethan PE can be found for the same price.
Fuego - a conventional design of a mid level reel and in my opinion a disservice to the original Fuego (much like they did with the Presso rods and Ardito rods.
Not quite...but very close....the Morethan PE is SV spool...Which leads to a followup inquiry...has anyone here purchased one yet and confirmed weather it will fit in a current JDM or Zillion -TWS ? Just wish they had a Deeper version of that particular SV spool that is found in the MORETHAN...Would not mind replaceing my BBS (swimbait reel) with it. I do not use braid ( 20 lb Mono)