SV 103?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV 103?

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for the pics =D>

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:36 am

Has anyone asked that one really important question? Does it have a spacer to make the spool fit. Or is the inner frame been change on this new version to accommodate the new spool? I thought it was important because several people pointed it out before. Now that someone has one we can ask.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am

Oh man! Where'd you get it? :-s

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:50 pm

slime king wrote:I don't have a steez to try the spool in. The one thing I noticed this reel is lacking is the clicking cast control cap. It is just a standard non indexing cap.
Then it must be disposed of immedialtely!!! Send it to me, and I'll make the appropriate arrangements. No charge, of course, in the spirit of TT fellowship!

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:07 pm

I was lucky to get my order filled early by American Legacy Fishing. I traded in some gear and used a credit to order this reel in October off their site. I've heard good things about the previous zillion platform and wanted a high speed reel without the T-wing system on it.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:23 pm

I guess it won't be long before we get the rest of the story.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 pm

-Looks like a great reel...but with the non fitting OG zillion spool that may have changed a lot of others opinion. Brings to question weather most were on the sidelines on this reel for the reel itself or just the spool availability down the road.

-Since TW did not have the SV103 available on the Black Friday -20% sale...Kinda wished now that I would of just ponied up another $30 for another Steez 103SV. Oh well...I should have my new 103SV in before end of year.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 pm

I made the switch to Daiwa not too long ago, I’ve never owned an OG Zillion but did acquire a J-Dream and absolutely love the platform. With the addition of an SV spool, this is definitely a no brainer to me.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:48 am

Sounds like the SV103 may be smaller or narrower then the OG Zillion or J-Dream? Am I correct ?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:08 am

E73Bass wrote:-Looks like a great reel...but with the non fitting OG zillion spool that may have changed a lot of others opinion. Brings to question weather most were on the sidelines on this reel for the reel itself or just the spool availability down the road.

-Since TW did not have the SV103 available on the Black Friday -20% sale...Kinda wished now that I would of just ponied up another $30 for another Steez 103SV. Oh well...I should have my new 103SV in before end of year.
I'm in the exact same situation.
None of my OG Zillions have a spool that is light enough for light weight pitching. My 100M spool also doesn't inspire me for this application. The SV 103 may be great for this. I'm interested to hear how the SV spool compares to the J-Dream spool in this platform. I may pick up an IP.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rarebreed » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 am

Any way you can give us a measurement of the spool itself?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:35 am

toddmc wrote:
E73Bass wrote:-Looks like a great reel...but with the non fitting OG zillion spool that may have changed a lot of others opinion. Brings to question weather most were on the sidelines on this reel for the reel itself or just the spool availability down the road.

None of my OG Zillions have a spool that is light enough for light weight pitching. My 100M spool also doesn't inspire me for this application. The SV 103 may be great for this. I'm interested to hear how the SV spool compares to the J-Dream spool in this platform. I may pick up an IP.
I can't find such difference between the JDream and IP. Pretty much same reel.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:35 am

BigG wrote:
toddmc wrote:

I think they have different spool, and different paint job. That's about it.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:20 am

IAY wrote:
BigG wrote:
toddmc wrote:

I think the spool is actually the same, or VERY similar.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 am

Teal101 wrote:
IAY wrote:
BigG wrote:
toddmc wrote:

I think the spool is actually the same, or VERY similar.
I was under the impression that the IP and J-Dream spools are the same also. I want a stronger and heavier reel than a Steez to use for pitching. This is the one gap in my already too big Zillion arsenal. I have read on TT that the IP/J-Dream spool is lighter and a little better all-around spool than the OG USDM Zillion, but I have never seen anybody say that the IP spool is an easy start-up pitching spool. I already know that the SV spool in my lone Steez is good. Also, I haven't come across any retailers in Japan that have had the PE Long Cast spool for sale. So, I am left with a choice between the IP and SV103 to fill my need.