SV 103?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV 103?

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 am

E73Bass wrote: "No secret" as to being cheaper...they just came up last nite after 4:00CDT. So other then the Alphas SV vs 105SV ...these specific 3 reels have no EXACT equal in USDM prior to TW putting them up last night.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's rule of thumb that JDM reels tend to be "cheaper" regardless of an equal USDM counterpart. I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 am

It's great that Daiwa is following Shimano in the sense of creating a creating or at least introducing a global product. Great for us because we can start sourcing parts here as opposed to overseas.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:35 am

blakjack23 wrote:Keep in mind you're comparing US MSRP pricing to JDM discounted pricing. If you look at the MSRP's they aren't much different.

You'll be able to find the US versions on Ebay for pretty close to what you can buy the JDM ones for pretty soon. They just aren't discounted in the US right when they are released. Wait a month...

That's true...thanks for bringing that up...exactly my argument back in August when 105SV vs Alphas prices were discussed.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:28 am

E73Bass wrote:
blakjack23 wrote:Keep in mind you're comparing US MSRP pricing to JDM discounted pricing. If you look at the MSRP's they aren't much different.

You'll be able to find the US versions on Ebay for pretty close to what you can buy the JDM ones for pretty soon. They just aren't discounted in the US right when they are released. Wait a month...

That's true...thanks for bringing that up...exactly my argument back in August when 105SV vs Alphas prices were discussed.
It's not really an argument as much as it is a discussion :big grin:
Also. While I don't frequent Ebay often, the only newer Daiwa reel I've seen discounted anything beyond marginal are the Tats. Do we know with certainty if any of these reels can be acquired in the future from Ebay at Jdm prices, or are we just speculating at this point?

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:54 am

It is certainly not speculation. Most of Daiwa reels are available at a good discount on Ebay after they've been available for awhile. I just looked and you get a new TWS Zillion for $195 shipped. MSRP is $299. I'd say a 35% discounts is significant.

Tat's, Aird Coastal and Lexa are also 25-35% off. Alphas SV only 15% off so far...

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:04 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
E73Bass wrote:

It's not really an argument as much as it is a discussion :big grin:
Also. While I don't frequent Ebay often, the only newer Daiwa reel I've seen discounted anything beyond marginal are the Tats. Do we know with certainty if any of these reels can be acquired in the future from Ebay at Jdm prices, or are we just speculating at this point?
Looks like you need to frequent Ebay...as the JDM SS AIR can be had at JDM prices.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:46 am

Got to hold one of these today. Not sure if it's the SV spool because it seems like every reel I put an SV into the reel will automatically feel smoother but the 103 felt really smooth. No clicking CCC but not a deal breaker. If I didn't have a new reel coming this week I would seriously consider an SV 103.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:30 am

biggs wrote:Got to hold one of these today. Not sure if it's the SV spool because it seems like every reel I put an SV into the reel will automatically feel smoother but the 103 felt really smooth. No clicking CCC but not a deal breaker. If I didn't have a new reel coming this week I would seriously consider an SV 103.
Which store had them in stock?
What's coming your way?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:59 am

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:03 pm

biggs wrote:Got to hold one of these today. Not sure if it's the SV spool because it seems like every reel I put an SV into the reel will automatically feel smoother but the 103 felt really smooth. No clicking CCC but not a deal breaker. If I didn't have a new reel coming this week I would seriously consider an SV 103.
The non clicking CCC really annoys me... They went out of their way to spend time and money to change the CCC to a new version to downgrade the reel in the process. ](*,) wtf?

DaveJ

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:31 am

Yeah, I would prefer a clicking CCC too.
I wonder why they don't just add one on every reel at that price??

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:44 pm

biggs wrote:Yeah, I would prefer a clicking CCC too.
I'm sure they are trying to differentiate between their premium reels like the Zillion TWS. It is really stupid. Whoever makes these decisions is misguided at best.

DaveJ

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 am

Well I couldn't stand it and ordered one today. I have an OG Zillion and really like the platform. I have no experience with an SV model or the cast control system on the SV103 but feel confident it's going to be a top tier performer. We shall see.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm still holding out for the time being. If the Zillion TW SV indeed turns out to be smaller I'll go that route. If not this will be my next reel purchase. Does anyone know if Daiwa is going to release a JDM only version of the SV103 as they did with the OG Zillion? Even though this reel is no longer called the Zillion. Kind of reverse of what they did with the Alphas SV and SV105. If anything Daiwa has done an incredible job of confusing any folks who don't closely follow the brand and may be looking for a new reel. I'm half asleep right now so I'm not even sure if my question made sense :-k

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:26 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
biggs wrote:Yeah, I would prefer a clicking CCC too.
I'm sure they are trying to differentiate between their premium reels like the Zillion TWS. It is really stupid. Whoever makes these decisions is misguided at best.

DaveJ
Doesn't it seem that there would be a huge market for aftermarket spool tension knobs that click?