Is it worth upgrading bearings on a Pixy?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is it worth upgrading bearings on a Pixy?

Post by silversix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Received an Airy Red Pixy couple of days ago. Had a chance to try it on the water and OMG people were spot on about how amazing this reel feel :shock: . Throws 3" Keitech walleye swimbaits with a 1/8 jighead across the lake (and im only using an Elite Tech medium action 6.6" rod), love it!!! But would upgrading the spool/side plate bearings worth it for throwing lighter lures (mainly 1/16 - 1/4)? If so, which ones? Are the Boca OS abec 7 worth it or should i grab something from Hedgehog? I don't want to spend too much money on bearings but if the difference is noticeable, i will consider.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it worth upgrading bearings on a Pixy?

Post by the hooligan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:24 pm

If your mainly throwing 1/16-1/4oz baits, definitely grab a pair of hedgehog airs.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:34 pm

the hooligan wrote:If your mainly throwing 1/16-1/4oz baits, definitely grab a pair of hedgehog airs.
The Hedgehog bearings are impressive and the difference over stock is definitely noticeable. Either the AIR or the AIR BFS would work well in your situation. We have both types in stock if you decide to give them a shot...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... f9abdef50b

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... =1517_1519

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:03 am

HH air bfs.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:33 am

If it's worth it, can you guys specify what would be a distance increase with Air Ceramics?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 am

What's the difference between Air and Air BFS? Which of the two would cast further/easier?

Another question *need a confirmation for this*, what are the exact bearing size of the spool/sideplate on an Airy Red Pixy? Sideplate-ID 3mm x OD 8mm x Width 4mm, Spool-ID 5mm x OD 11mm x Width 4mm? Little worried of ordering wrong size if i happen to buy a pair.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:15 am

Also, on ebay, peeps from China sell full ceramic bearings for a decent price. Are these a good idea or better grab bearings from HH/Boca?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:58 pm

silversix wrote:Also, on ebay, peeps from China sell full ceramic bearings for a decent price. Are these a good idea or better grab bearings from HH/Boca?
Well i still don't trust anything out of China and Bocca is kind of obsolete with HH bearings being affordable. Their ZR stainless bearings are at abec9 spec/tolerance, super quiet, and will take TSI301. The micro aka AIR bearings are available in stainless with AL cage and ceramic (white balls, Zirconia 02? or Alumina 03?) with stainless cage for throwing light lures. I still have a few reels with Bocca, but i do know that once they go bad or get louder i will be replacing everything with ZR or AIR.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Ordered a set of HH Air! Super excited to try them out :D . I bought the Red Pixy on ebay and the stock bearings are making a tiny scratchin' noise (the reel may be 10y old who knows lol) so it had to be changed.