2015 Aldebaran BFS XG LTD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2015 Aldebaran BFS XG LTD

Post by zelmo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:57 am

Now that this reel has been out for a while I was hoping someone could report on their on water experience.

I figure it will perform better with very light baits than the 2012 BFS model due to the spool, but how does it compare to the PX Type R?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2015 Aldebaran BFS XG LTD

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 pm

I just acquired a 15 BFS. No real water time yet. I have the PX Type R as well. Will report back.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 am

The Alde LTD casts lighter lures farther and easier than my presso, airy red pixy and/or PX68. When the wind picks up, the Diawa reels are much more manageable. Fishing from a SOT kayak, with open scrupper holes, I get paranoid opening up the Shimano to adjust the brakes. Unlike the standard Aldebaran MG7, it seems like I'm always wanting to adjust the brakes when changing lures on the LTD or when the wind picks up. Fishing in my buddies jetboat, for river smallies, I prefer the PX68 for pitching duty. The PX68's magforce Z, stronger drag, and the ability to use braid makes it a great BFS bass reel.

Earlier in the season, I did a side by side comparison while floating down the river for trout & bass. Unfortunately, they were not identical set ups, but it did allow me to see the true performance of the Aldebaran LTD.

Set up #1:
Reel: Daiwa Presso w/ magforce
Rod: Pixy 661MLFB-04
Line: 10/2 powerpro braid w/ 10 lb tatsu leader

Set up #2:
Reel: Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG LTD
Rod: Powell Max 701C
Line: 8 lb sunline sniper

Both rods had a LC pointer 65sp on (weight 3/16 or 5 grams). Casting with the Aldebaran was effortless. It was easily getting an additional 10 feet in distance over the Presso. Not sure if that was due to the extra length of the rod, the fluoro or the reel? I did notice that the Shimano's casting trajectory was much higher than my Daiwa reels, but that may have been due to the rod. The funny part, was that I was never able to cast a Pointer 65sp that well, on the Powell, with my tuned Airy Red Pixy.

The Aldebaran BFS XG Limited is a true finesse casting reel, but I'm not letting go of my Pixys.

I hope this helps.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:04 am

Nice comparison review! The pixy is not going to compete with these new breed of ultra shallow spool BFS reels like the BFS XG, Revo LTZ\LTX, Daiwa Airs. It was the only game in town for years when it came to lp finesse but not anymore and its even been discontinued.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:18 am

Nice stuff, and yack!

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:54 am

Nice set-ups. I like the classic Presso/Pixy combo. Where I fish, the extra 10 feet wouldn't come into play much.

I miss the "661MLFB-04". Back when, searched the JDM sites with that key word and the Pixy rod was my first JDM purchase via an auction site I couldn't even read. It was a nightmare to procure and the additional charges were crazy but I was all-in. Paid several shipping charges beforehand and finally arrived COD; so the UPS guy wanted another $95. But... it was in my hands, in perfect condition with new tags and a rod sleeve. Felt like I had a Samurai sword in my hands. Never used it. Sold it to a TT member after a couple years.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: The PX68's magforce Z, stronger drag, and the ability to

Post by zelmo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:47 am

Good stuff. Thank you.
Schlag wrote: The PX68's magforce Z, stronger drag, and the ability to use braid makes it a great BFS bass reel.
Are you saying that you can't use 10lb braid with the Alde LTD? If so I had missed that.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 am

zelmo wrote:Good stuff. Thank you.
Schlag wrote: The PX68's magforce Z, stronger drag, and the ability to use braid makes it a great BFS bass reel.
Are you saying that you can't use 10lb braid with the Alde LTD? If so I had missed that.
Sorry for the delay. I had an extended weekend of fishing & golfing. Shimano only states fluorocarbon on all their info. I wouldn't recommend using braid on the Alde LTD, due to the thin walls & shallow spool design.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/3828

Hey, I use to know a Zelmo that fished the New River in Virginia... Would that be you?

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 am

I have never been on the New River, so it wasn't me!

Thanks for mentioning the line. I had missed that. I've been using 10lb Super Slick on my 2012 Alde BFS. I have the 2015 on order and in anticipation moved the 2012 to another rod, stripped the line off, and put 20lb Sufix Performance on it. Luckily I haven't had it out on the water yet so I'll get it off and spool up something else. I'll leave the 10lb Power Pro on the PX Type R.

I have never used light fluoro for anything other than a leader, and my experiences with 12lb to 17lb on reels have not been good. I have major issues with backlashes which is why I like using the small braid. After reading up on finesse spool problems it seems mono is a real no-no due to the stretch. I really don't see why 6lb or 8lb braid wouldn't work. Any thoughts on that?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Nice comparison review! The pixy is not going to compete with these new breed of ultra shallow spool BFS reels like the BFS XG, Revo LTZ\LTX, Daiwa Airs. It was the only game in town for years when it came to lp finesse but not anymore and its even been discontinued.
It was discontinued in 2009, years before any of those reels were even thought of. Same with Conquest 50/50s and other old bfs reels. Good thing is there are Ktf, Zpi, and Avail making spools for those that love classic platforms or do not like how composit materials feel.

My Conquest 50 with avail and Alde mg7 with zpi are back in the game and not far behind. The px68 with cp-301 is still my favorite for controlled casting of light shad hard baits.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Schlag wrote:
zelmo wrote:Good stuff. Thank you.
Sorry for the delay. I had an extended weekend of fishing & golfing. Shimano only states fluorocarbon on all their info. I wouldn't recommend using braid on the Alde LTD, due to the thin walls & shallow spool design.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/3828

Hey, I use to know a Zelmo that fished the New River in Virginia... Would that be you?
If you are wanting to try a 50 sized BFS Shimano that is very braid safe, give the Brenious a look. I love mine loaded with 15lb USA Braid. Throws a 1/8th oz rooster tail a mile with no fuss. Key is to use 4-6 red brakes on the spool.

DaveJ

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:22 am

You can use braided line on the BFS model. All Shimano reels are approved for use with braided line. We do own a little company called Power Pro. I'm sure you have heard of them. 10 pound is perfect. Plus with the reduced weight of braided line it makes for a lighter spool weight overall.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:37 am

Bantam1 wrote:You can use braided line on the BFS model. All Shimano reels are approved for use with braided line. We do own a little company called Power Pro. I'm sure you have heard of them. 10 pound is perfect. Plus with the reduced weight of braided line it makes for a lighter spool weight overall.
Thank you. So is there a limit on the braid that can be used on the 2012 or 2015 LTD Alde? Seems to me that if you wanted to catch bluegills on 50# braid there shouldn't be a problem. Obviously that is an extreme example, but the point is I don't see how braid is inherently detrimental regardless of the test.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:04 pm

zelmo wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:You can use braided line on the BFS model. All Shimano reels are approved for use with braided line. We do own a little company called Power Pro. I'm sure you have heard of them. 10 pound is perfect. Plus with the reduced weight of braided line it makes for a lighter spool weight overall.
Thank you. So is there a limit on the braid that can be used on the 2012 or 2015 LTD Alde? Seems to me that if you wanted to catch bluegills on 50# braid there shouldn't be a problem. Obviously that is an extreme example, but the point is I don't see how braid is inherently detrimental regardless of the test.
As long as the drag is set appropriately you should be fine. Just be careful pulling snags with strong braid.

DaveJ

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Sweet! Thank you.