Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Post by Cracker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Here is some of the vids

Metanium 2013 vs Metanium DC 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=78oZP5NFudU

Winner - Metanium

Another video
Metanium DC 2015, Metanium 2013 with BFS spool, Standard Metanium 2013, Antares 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=qZYL73hMjfw

Winner - Metanium with BFS spool

Very precise results with that line counter.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:29 am

Does anybody have distance numbers? My best is an estimated 183ft measured on Google Earth from my casting point to a landmark in the water. TD-Z R+, 10lb Red Label, Dobyns 765cb, Lucky Craft LV-300.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:20 am

Teal101 wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Teal101 wrote:The R+ tuned Gigas spools have been the best for distance in my experience, so TD-Z R+, TD-Z I'ze, Millionaire I'ze Light.
Interesting that you mention the R+ spool. Some say these are pretty wild. How would you compare it the Gigas spool found in the 100m?
They are a bit fast, but easily manageable. They are my favorite spool for distance casting techniques. All three of my crank combos and my spinnerbait combo are R+ equipped. They are not as wild as the R tuned spools which I feel are a bit fickle. I do quite a bit of spinnerbait skipping with an R+ spool actually and it really skips a swimjig well.

I used a 100M in a Zillion Type-R and wasnt impressed honestly. The stock Zillion R spool actually seemed to pitch baits easier and handles the lighter weights better in my experience. For overhead casting the 100M works well, although it did fluff a bit if I was at 3/8oz or so. I have since sold the reel and spools to my buddy and he concurs the Zillion R spool is superior for pitching in his hands. The 100M went into a Fuego and does well with Spinnerbaits.

My next experiment is to put a R+ inductor on a 105 spool and see how angry it gets :mrgreen:

I would also put the R+ up against the Jdream/IP Zillion spool. The Jdream feels a bit more in control, but distance wise the R+ still shines. I also tried a 1016 and found it to be a great spool as well, but it didnt seem to be on par with the R+ casting wise, and the SV105 outmatches it by far for pitching and skipping so I sold it and went SV105.

Now that I've thoroughly confused you, I'll have to note I have yet to try any of Shimanos latest offerings, although a Met DC is on the short list.
You may have confused me a bit but I truly appreciate the reply! Would the R+ spool fit into a TDZ 100m. If not what reels would be compatible with this spool?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:22 am

tonyex wrote:For baits between 3/8 and 3/4 oz I am confident that the Exsence DC will cast furthest, specially when casting in headwind. I am talking to archive the maximum possible distance, so skipping, pitching and so on, do not counter. My OG Zillions was very good longcasters, but that was before the DC era.

I test my long casting baitcaters with 10 feet long rods and casting plugs to test the edge of the casting capabilities of the reel. When using 7 feet long rods, then differences in distance are not so clear.

Other long casting reels for similar weight range baits are those with SVS infinity last generation.
I found that those new reels with taller spools and SVS infinity are perfectly controllable when casting long in real fishing situations. My MAG Z reels do not allow me to accelerate the spool to the max rpm with little braking force without backlash and increasing the braking force will have a negative impact in distance. I "solved" the problem using a different casting technique, but I was not happy with the results.

BR //T
So it sounds like the Exscence DC takes the cake in that weight range using a normal 7 foot +/- casting rod and the usual baits for bass?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:24 am

Cracker wrote:Here is some of the vids

Winner - Metanium

Another video
Metanium DC 2015, Metanium 2013 with BFS spool, Standard Metanium 2013, Antares 2012

I will check these out later when I leave work. Thanks for the links! Guessing the standard 13 Met is the better distance caster of these for normal weights? Any personal experience you could share?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:26 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Teal101 wrote:The R+ tuned Gigas spools have been the best for distance in my experience, so TD-Z R+, TD-Z I'ze, Millionaire I'ze Light.
Interesting that you mention the R+ spool. Some say these are pretty wild. How would you compare it the Gigas spool found in the 100m?
They are a bit fast, but easily manageable. They are my favorite spool for distance casting techniques. All three of my crank combos and my spinnerbait combo are R+ equipped. They are not as wild as the R tuned spools which I feel are a bit fickle. I do quite a bit of spinnerbait skipping with an R+ spool actually and it really skips a swimjig well.

I used a 100M in a Zillion Type-R and wasnt impressed honestly. The stock Zillion R spool actually seemed to pitch baits easier and handles the lighter weights better in my experience. For overhead casting the 100M works well, although it did fluff a bit if I was at 3/8oz or so. I have since sold the reel and spools to my buddy and he concurs the Zillion R spool is superior for pitching in his hands. The 100M went into a Fuego and does well with Spinnerbaits.

My next experiment is to put a R+ inductor on a 105 spool and see how angry it gets :mrgreen:

I would also put the R+ up against the Jdream/IP Zillion spool. The Jdream feels a bit more in control, but distance wise the R+ still shines. I also tried a 1016 and found it to be a great spool as well, but it didnt seem to be on par with the R+ casting wise, and the SV105 outmatches it by far for pitching and skipping so I sold it and went SV105.

Now that I've thoroughly confused you, I'll have to note I have yet to try any of Shimanos latest offerings, although a Met DC is on the short list.
You may have confused me a bit but I truly appreciate the reply! Would the R+ spool fit into a TDZ 100m. If not what reels would be compatible with this spool?
The R+ will not fit in the 100M without spacers of some sort. Any TD-Z reel other than the 100M will take the R+ spool. The Steez will as well, but the Steez has a lighter magnet configuration which leads to a wilder spool compared to the TD-Z.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:04 am

Cracker wrote:Here is some of the vids

Winner - Metanium

Another video

I saw these videos when they came out, very informative but I do question his casting stroke.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:

The R+ will not fit in the 100M without spacers of some sort. Any TD-Z reel other than the 100M will take the R+ spool. The Steez will as well, but the Steez has a lighter magnet configuration which leads to a wilder spool compared to the TD-Z.
Thanks for the great info. I will keep this in mind for a winter project possibly. :D

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Any personal experience you could share?
My personal experience with Daiwa reels only, my best casters are Daiwa T3 SV and Megabass FX68 with SV spool, both reels has Magforce 3D braking system, Steez SV Limited about 10% behind, weights in between 3/8 to 3/4Oz, never owned any new generation Shimano reels with SVS, but I would test them if I get some in my hands.

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
So it sounds like the Exscence DC takes the cake in that weight range using a normal 7 foot +/- casting rod and the usual baits for bass?
Well, you did not wrote nothing specific about bass lures in your first post. I use mine mostly for inshore fishing and those lures are more aerodynamic shaped then usual bass lures and of course they cast further.
From time to time I use some oneten and oneten copies , silent assassins or similar which are bass lures and there is not a problem to archive very good casting distances even in "wind mode".

//T

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:23 am

If you're looking for a stock reel that casts really well, look at the Quantum EXO 100's. According to Cal's TT review, it comes with an 11 gram spool, stock, and that is aftermarket weight!
I have six, and love them. They throw weightless fat Ikas a mile, and I can almost spool them with a 1 oz. jig.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:29 am

My DC reels (minus the scorpion DC).
Followed by my svs infinty reels and the lews team Lite.
Then my T3B.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:04 am

I have a T3 with a RCS1016 spool I modded. On a 7ft Steez Fle X Lite I can cast a #7 Rippin Rap 60yds on a football field with no wind. I imagine a longer rod would make it even farther.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:13 am

Has to be the T3 for me,also the most fun to fish
I can live without TWS on a reel,just leave my pop up hood alone :lol:

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:44 am

my 13 met outcasts all my other shimanos (core/chronarch ci4/conquest).....i've tried every different rod/reel combo i own for the same techniques and baits and find the met wins in casting distance...