Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:49 am

Bootytrain wrote:My DC reels (minus the scorpion DC).
Followed by my svs infinty reels and the lews team Lite.
Then my T3B.
I believe you have fished quite a few of the newer Shimano reels. Can you comment on the Curado I, 13 Met, and Chronarcb CI4 for distance? Thanks

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:52 am

africanbass wrote:Has to be the T3 for me,also the most fun to fish
I can live without TWS on a reel,just leave my pop up hood alone :lol:
I believe my T3 MX was purchased thanks to your T3 love :lol: . Are there much differences in sheer casting distance among T3 variants in that 3\8 to 3/4 oz range.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:54 am

MRQturbo wrote:my 13 met outcasts all my other shimanos (core/chronarch ci4/conquest).....i've tried every different rod/reel combo i own for the same techniques and baits and find the met wins in casting distance...
That's good to hear. ThanI you for your feedback! Assuming you are referring to the standard 13 Met and not the DC version? I was close on getting one but went with a Exscence DC instead.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:25 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
MRQturbo wrote:my 13 met outcasts all my other shimanos (core/chronarch ci4/conquest).....i've tried every different rod/reel combo i own for the same techniques and baits and find the met wins in casting distance...
That's good to hear. ThanI you for your feedback! Assuming you are referring to the standard 13 Met and not the DC version? I was close on getting one but went with a Exscence DC instead.

13 met is non dc...15 met is dc....i must also note that my core has boca bearings, ci4s have hh zr bearings...conquest and met (i did change to the white brake blocks though) are all stock still...all have the same braid backing also.....

Nevrsumma
Angler
Angler

Post by Nevrsumma » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:21 am

Just to throw my two cents in here, I own a lot of what are considered to be the longest distance LP baitcasters. I do most of my casting within the weight range you mentioned. For me the clear winners in sheer distance are my T3 SV and FX68 Viola with the purple SLP SV Spool installed, and following very closely behind my 13 metanium. I just feel like any one of the T3 variants with an SV spool is an entirely different animal. They are casting machines. The reels I own and are making my comparisons to are Calais DC, 12 Antares, Steez Limited SV, 15 Aldebaran, Steez EX, Revo MGX, Exsence DC, Zillion TW.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:My DC reels (minus the scorpion DC).
Followed by my svs infinty reels and the lews team Lite.
Then my T3B.
I believe you have fished quite a few of the newer Shimano reels. Can you comment on the Curado I, 13 Met, and Chronarcb CI4 for distance? Thanks
I can only comment on the Metanium and Curado because Ive not used the Chronarch yet for long cast techniques. The 2 are really close until I swap the brake blocks on the Metanium to all white and it probably adds 10 ft at least with heavier aerodynamic lures. I was really surprised at the long distance capabilities of the Curado though. Keep in mind, I try to use only 1 brake block activated.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:58 am

Nevrsumma wrote:Just to throw my two cents in here, I own a lot of what are considered to be the longest distance LP baitcasters. I do most of my casting within the weight range you mentioned. For me the clear winners in sheer distance are my T3 SV and FX68 Viola with the purple SLP SV Spool installed, and following very closely behind my 13 metanium. I just feel like any one of the T3 variants with an SV spool is an entirely different animal. They are casting machines. The reels I own and are making my comparisons to are Calais DC, 12 Antares, Steez Limited SV, 15 Aldebaran, Steez EX, Revo MGX, Exsence DC, Zillion TW.
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. It is nice to see what you feel is best relative to what you have used. I may have to snag an SV spool for my T3. Also seeing lots of love the standard 13 Met.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:37 pm

I rememeber a while back a group of guys took all the current Shimano models and had a casting contest using the same rods and same weights. They found that the Curado I was the furthest casting of the group oddly enough after taking the averages among them. I realize there are other variables and it is not a lab test but I definitely found it odd.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:50 pm

TFOUR wrote:I rememeber a while back a group of guys took all the current Shimano models and had a casting contest using the same rods and same weights. They found that the Curado I was the furthest casting of the group oddly enough after taking the averages among them. I realize there are other variables and it is not a lab test but I definitely found it odd.
Intersting. Was there a video showing such results of some sort of write up? If you don't remember that is ok. I would love to watch the video or read up on it. Also would like to know if this was only from Shimanos current offerings or some prior models like the D, E, G series etc...
Last edited by Fishing4Fun on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:11 pm

I believe it was all current models available through the current Metanium not including discontinued models. It wasn't a video it was a group of guys in the fishing industry I believe that rep for Shimano.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I have owned, tweaked and fished most of the LP reels from both Daiwa & Shimano over the past 2 years. No round profile for me, even though I had a Morrum AE74 by ZPI some time ago...

Out of the bunch, the Shimano Antares DC was one of the longest distance casters. I own the new Antares now and is a very capable reel.

But, for all-round MH fishing, there is a new casting king in my stable: the Daiwa Morethan PE SV 8.1-L TW. If you think the Tatula are far reaching reels (and they are, I have 2 with HH air bearings and revamped TWS line guides), think again. That SV spool in combination with T-Wing is something to behold. I still have to try the new Zillion TW, will get one in the near future (had to delay it because of the Abu Elite Aurora 2015, had to get one).

But the Morethan PE SV is in a casting league of its own.

That's legit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUFS4RSnwY

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Nevrsumma wrote:For me the clear winners in sheer distance are my T3 SV and FX68 Viola with the purple SLP SV Spool installed,
Have same results - T3 SV (orange spool) and FX68 with same purple SLP SV spool - my best casting reels.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:13 pm

AndZ wrote: But, for all-round MH fishing, there is a new casting king in my stable: the Daiwa Morethan PE SV 8.1-L TW.That SV spool in combination with T-Wing is something to behold.
But the Morethan PE SV is in a casting league of its own.
That's legit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUFS4RSnwY
I somehow overlooked that reel, need to buy one.
Did you test that reel vs T3, Megabass FX reels with Magforce3D braking system?
I like Magforce 3D over Magforce Z.

Did you leave stock bearings in Morethan? Do you think HH's airs would be improvement for it?

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 pm

I owned the Daiwa Z with both stock and shallow spools and it was a great caster, fc lines included. Also owned the T3 reels and their variations, T3 Air included, SLP editions with SLP special shallow spools and so on. The Steez limited edition with SV spool was a great caster, too.

The Morethan PE SV has the Air brake SV system, initially deployed in the T3 Air. It's more stress-free than the Magforce-Z. Mind that the 3D braking is just Magforce-Z + 3 different distances that the magnets get closer/farther from the spool's inductor.

I didn't bother with the bearings swap in the Morethan PE SV. I don't see the need yet. Plus that the stock Daiwa bearings are smoother/quieter than the HH Airs. This might be the first reel I'll leave bone-stock.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:23 am

AndZ wrote:I owned the Daiwa Z with both stock and shallow spools and it was a great caster, fc lines included. Also owned the T3 reels and their variations, T3 Air included, SLP editions with SLP special shallow spools and so on. The Steez limited edition with SV spool was a great caster, too.
The Morethan PE SV has the Air brake SV system, initially deployed in the T3 Air. It's more stress-free than the Magforce-Z. Mind that the 3D braking is just Magforce-Z + 3 different distances that the magnets get closer/farther from the spool's inductor.
I didn't bother with the bearings swap in the Morethan PE SV. I don't see the need yet. Plus that the stock Daiwa bearings are smoother/quieter than the HH Airs. This might be the first reel I'll leave bone-stock.
Great! Thanks for that info!