Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:23 am

Hi all,

First off let me start by saying I truly value the experience and recommendations provided by the TT community! Reall just a great group of individuals from all over the world that have great passion for fishing gear. :D Over my stay here there have been a few threads started on this subject but most of those are older and lack a lot of new reels. Recently I have been wanting a more "long distance" bait casters after initially being on a "weight weenie" kick :lol: . So what I am currently looking for is a low profile bait casting reel that you have used that you feel the casting distance seems superior to other reels you have used for baits between 3/8 and 3/4 oz. At the moment I feel like my Exscence DC, TDZ 100m, and T3 MX cast the farthest. I like the Exscence DC for its worry free casting of all baits 3/8 oz and up. The TDZ 100m seems to do well with a variety of baits but can get a bit unruly with baits with wind resistance casting into a head wind. I am still playing with the T3 but it seems to be better with the heavier baits especially closer 1/2 oz.

So with the new Shimano Reels like the 13 Met and the DC version, the new Zillions TWS variations, Steeze reels and such hitting the market with in the last few years I would highly appreciate getting as many replies to: What low profile baitcaster will cast 3/8 to 3/4 oz baits the furtherst that you HAVE PERSONALLY USED? :big grin:

Thanks in advance for your replies and recommendations! :)

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Furthest Casting LP baitcaster?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:48 am

At this point the line, rod choice, and aerodynamics of the lure have more to do with casting distance than the reels. All the high end reels will cast that weight range so far it is hard to discern the difference. Pitching, skipping, roll casting, and light lure performance are where the differences are noticeable from reel to reel.

I love throwing my stock spool & bearings OG Zillion with that size lures. A Steez or TDZ with the RCS 1016 or 1020 spools are great as well. The new Met DC is a great reel as well, but I feel like with braid the 2 setting is cutting off distance but the 1 setting backlashes ever time. I think I need to add more line to it though. I didn't have a full spool of Slick 8 available when loading it up.

DaveJ

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:53 am

I have a mess of tatulas and a few TW zillions, OG zillions, E series reels, and Abu premiers,Abu sx's and stx's, a Calcutta B, Calcutta 200, a 50mg Core and a bunch of others I failed to mention. IMO, so long as we aren't talking finesse, the Tatula and zillion TW cast equally well and seem to cast further than my other reels. I've never done a scientific length measured test with set parameters to eliminate all the variables, but by the seat of my pants that's my impression. Keep in mind line diameter, lure weight and rod taper/action have more effect on distance than the reel itself.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:18 am

Daiwa T3 and Tatula for me.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:57 am

I thought my tuned Zillions were casting machines until I got my hands on the 15Metanium DC.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:14 am

Great thread with a lot of discussion.
I would suggest you in the future specify the rod, line, the lure unless you gonna be getting answers like that.
Keep in mind line diameter, lure weight and rod taper/action have more effect on distance than the reel itself.
I truly believe all reels are gonna give you different distances and it worth to test it.
If you do a test, you have to do it on same rod, same line and same amount of line, same lure( or weight).
When I test my reels - I spool 70m of 10lb Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon on that reel using same rod for test purposes.
After you figured out which reel casts the best you can play with line, and a different rod.
I recall watching a Japanese guy testing some reels for distance on youtube, if I find those videos I post it here.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:04 am

The R+ tuned Gigas spools have been the best for distance in my experience, so TD-Z R+, TD-Z I'ze, Millionaire I'ze Light.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:57 am

For me it's the Antares hands down for pure distance.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:31 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I thought my tuned Zillions were casting machines until I got my hands on the 15Metanium DC.
Would you say the Met DC casts further than the stock 13 Met?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:33 am

Teal101 wrote:The R+ tuned Gigas spools have been the best for distance in my experience, so TD-Z R+, TD-Z I'ze, Millionaire I'ze Light.
Interesting that you mention the R+ spool. Some say these are pretty wild. How would you compare it the Gigas spool found in the 100m?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:34 am

bemo wrote:For me it's the Antares hands down for pure distance.
Are you referring to the new 2012 Antares or the Antares DC?

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 am

The 2012 non DC version. Sorry for not being more specific. I've never used the DC version.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Teal101 wrote:The R+ tuned Gigas spools have been the best for distance in my experience, so TD-Z R+, TD-Z I'ze, Millionaire I'ze Light.
Interesting that you mention the R+ spool. Some say these are pretty wild. How would you compare it the Gigas spool found in the 100m?
They are a bit fast, but easily manageable. They are my favorite spool for distance casting techniques. All three of my crank combos and my spinnerbait combo are R+ equipped. They are not as wild as the R tuned spools which I feel are a bit fickle. I do quite a bit of spinnerbait skipping with an R+ spool actually and it really skips a swimjig well.

I used a 100M in a Zillion Type-R and wasnt impressed honestly. The stock Zillion R spool actually seemed to pitch baits easier and handles the lighter weights better in my experience. For overhead casting the 100M works well, although it did fluff a bit if I was at 3/8oz or so. I have since sold the reel and spools to my buddy and he concurs the Zillion R spool is superior for pitching in his hands. The 100M went into a Fuego and does well with Spinnerbaits.

My next experiment is to put a R+ inductor on a 105 spool and see how angry it gets :mrgreen:

I would also put the R+ up against the Jdream/IP Zillion spool. The Jdream feels a bit more in control, but distance wise the R+ still shines. I also tried a 1016 and found it to be a great spool as well, but it didnt seem to be on par with the R+ casting wise, and the SV105 outmatches it by far for pitching and skipping so I sold it and went SV105.

Now that I've thoroughly confused you, I'll have to note I have yet to try any of Shimanos latest offerings, although a Met DC is on the short list.

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:02 pm

For baits between 3/8 and 3/4 oz I am confident that the Exsence DC will cast furthest, specially when casting in headwind. I am talking to archive the maximum possible distance, so skipping, pitching and so on, do not counter. My OG Zillions was very good longcasters, but that was before the DC era.

I test my long casting baitcaters with 10 feet long rods and casting plugs to test the edge of the casting capabilities of the reel. When using 7 feet long rods, then differences in distance are not so clear.

Other long casting reels for similar weight range baits are those with SVS infinity last generation.
I found that those new reels with taller spools and SVS infinity are perfectly controllable when casting long in real fishing situations. My MAG Z reels do not allow me to accelerate the spool to the max rpm with little braking force without backlash and increasing the braking force will have a negative impact in distance. I "solved" the problem using a different casting technique, but I was not happy with the results.

BR //T

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:48 pm

My Chronarch E5 is easily my furthest casting reel.