Aldebaran, Metanium or Core?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran, Metanium or Core?

Post by bigfruits » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:30 am

Hello,

Im looking to buy two new reels for the rods below.
NRX 843c MBR - 1/4 to 3/8oz spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and buzzbaits mostly
GLX 803c BCR - 1/4 to 3/8oz jigs and t-rigs (plus trailer)

I was thinking that the 15Metanium DC (6.2:1) would be nice for casting moving baits on the MBR and the Core 51 (7:1) would work well on the BCR rod. They are $410 and $345 on ebay.

Would you recommend the Aldebaran or any other reel under $400 for either application?

Thanks!
-Z

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran, Metanium or Core?

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:32 pm

I wouldn't pay that crazy price for a core 50 since its discontinued , I would look at the aldebaran HG

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 am

For the NRX843C MBR I'd shoot for the Metanium in a 6 or 7 gear. Holds a little more line should be much better for the reaction baits you listed. For the GLX803C I'd go for a Core 50Mg7 if you can get a deal and save $150-$200 over a Aldebaran it's a great reel and awesome value. If you can't find a Core 50Mg7 for cheap settle for the Aldebaran. It's more refined, light, smooth, seems to pitch and flip a little nicer and with the X-Ship the cranking power is awesome.

Hope this helps,

MTBF

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize that the price I found for the Core was so high because of availability. Many online retailers are selling them for $369.

Will the Aldebaran be ok for pitching and casting 3/8oz jigs plus trailer weight? I am also a little concerned with the low weight of the reel. Do you think it will balance nicely on the GLX BCR 803c?

Thanks again,
-Z

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 am

Lightly used cores can be found for well under $300. I have seen many with just a few small imperfections go for $250 or less. The Scorpion 1000xt and Chornarch 50E often show up for under $170 lightly used. Very similar to the Core. Differences more or less can be found in the gear ratio, weight of reel, and quality of the bearings. Frame and spools I believe are identical. Just another option or two to consider. I have 4 50 series reels. Core 50mg7, Curado 50e, Scorpion 1000xt, and Chronarch 50e. All the reels are similar yet slightly different.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I would put a simple Metainium XG on your 803 GLX and Metanium HG on the 843 and be a very happy man!

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:00 pm

I second this ^ idea especially if you appreciate continuity in your setups. Plus, the new Metaniums are flat out awesome!
Good luck to you, Eric.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:17 am

Here's a link to Japan Tackle:

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/sh ... reels.html

I have not bought from them, but others here have, and their prices look good..

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:40 am

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:02 am

I have to agree with going with the Metaniums, it isn't to say the other reels are bad.

The Aldebaran would work for 3/8 plus trailer in open water but I think would be out of its element in any type of cover. This is after having some extensive conversations with people who own them and reading up on a few conversations on forums such as this. Essentially, it is more geared toward BFS than anything else.

The Core is a nice reel. I've never used a 50 size reel as it just doesn't suit my needs. I will agree the price is high.

Now, I have both a Metanium XG and a Metanium HG DC. both of these reels are silky smooth and there is a slight edge in casting distance to the DC reel. I also find it is cosmetically better looking with its single colour.

Since your budget is pretty good, I would look at getting either one of the mets. The major difference is the breaking system.

IMO, I would go with a Met in either variant and put a 6.2:1 ratio reel on the 843 and a 7.4:1 or 8.5:1 (I just don't like the longer handle on the 8.5 but I am getting used to it) on the 803.

I just personally enjoy slower ratios for spinnerbaits.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:29 am

I agree all the reels listed are good. The more I use the XG though the more I like the reel. So many reels I go out behind my house to the Pond and they cast great then out on the lake from a boat they don't seem as good. The Met XG seems to perform better on the water after repeated trips. It both pitches and casts very well. It is a very neutral reel. It to me is as finesse as my loved MG50 Chronarchs yet it can crank up the power.

For spinnerbaits I actually use the CI4 in a HG because I thought the brass gears better for that application. Having owned the XG I'm not sure. That reel is smooth and even the XG has power. I'd pick a XG to throw a buzzbait in a New York Minute :D

Handle length is highly personal. I was nervous about the XG handle but like it so much that I bought more and put them on all my old supertuned Chronarch MG50's. Now I can throw a buzzbait on an old MG50 and it works well without working me to death. clearly a personal preference but works for me.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

good stuff! im going to get at least one Metanium. ill prob go with the 6.2 or HG instead of the XG for the mbr rod as it would probably be better for spinnerbaits and other baits with a little resistance. would love to have a >8:1 ratio on jig/worm rod but the Aldebaran is so small and light! tough choice...

is the Metanium a 100 size reel? How does it compare to the Aldebaran in size or other 50 size reels? my local stores do not sell this reel unfortunately so i cannot go hold it.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:15 am

I own all three reels and fish them hard week in and week out. The Metanium is a touch bigger than both the Core 50 and the Aldebaran. It is not quite the size of a 200 series Curado/Chronarch, but I can definitely feel its size in hand versus the Core and the Aldebaran. The Aldebaran is ever so slightly smaller than the Core and is a featherweight.

They are all fantastic reels, but the Aldebaran is quickly becoming my favorite of the bunch. I use it to fish topwaters up to 1/2 oz and exposed hook plastics up to 3/8 oz. I consistently catch Redfish in the 10-12 lb range on the Aldebaran and it does not break a sweat. I have small hands so if you have some really big mitts you may like the Metanium better. You can't go wrong with any of your choices; but don't let anyone fool you, the Aldebaran is a tough little reel that can do many things well.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:31 am

The Metanium is in fact a 100 size reel. It basically replace the Core 100 but has a much smaller frame that the Core did.

Shimano has gone to a compact reel design and even the 200 size reels are much smaller than they used to be. For the most part, I find it works great.

I do not own any 50 size reels so it is hard to compare. I will say I agree it is smaller than the 200 size curado and Chronarch though.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 am

I'm liking the Aldebaran for finesse and jerkbaits and the Metanium for everything else.