Daiwa SS SV-- in-and-out handle play?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bluesguitar
Angler
Angler

Daiwa SS SV-- in-and-out handle play?

Post by Bluesguitar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:43 am

I'm just took delivery of a used SS SV. The previous owner had swapped out the handle, the star drag wheel, and the mechanical brake adjustment button and side plate screws.

The issue with the reel is play between the lever and the body of the reel; in and out. I'd estimate it moves about 2mm. I haven't tried to disassemble anything yet. Tightening down the drag does have any effect on the play. I read the TT review of this reel and the reviewer did say that with the drag on low settings there was some movement in the test reel but I'm not sure if it's the same as the issue with my reel. I'm wondering if this is normal or if possibly there might be a washer missing somewhere-- I can see in the schematic that there are three washers inboard of the star and the ring that's sitting under it.

If any of you guys have SS SVs could you check and let me know? This would be holding the reel body and pulling the handle away and then toward the reel.

I've tried to attach a photo with the tip of a pen showing where the play is at.

Thanks!
aaaa sm sssv.JPG
aaaa sm sssv.JPG (37.29 KiB) Viewed 3927 times

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV-- in-and-out handle play?

Post by JerryC » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:15 am

My SS SV has the SLP works drag star on it, loose or tight, there is no play at teh drag star or the handle.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 am

My ss sv is stock and it has a small amount of in and out play that not noticeable unless you pull on it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:52 pm

None in mine. I've noticed that when swapping drag stars with various reels, they don't always fit like a glove and can alter how much you can loosen and tighten the drag. The drag star you're using is a Steez drag star, and should work fine. I would assume it's missing a washer. I just sold a T3 Mx and the buyer brought to my attention the drag would not fully tighten. I had replaced the original star with a Zillion Type R and never noticed. He put a drag star off an Alphas sv on it and it's fine now. Go figure

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:36 am

Mine has the small amount that most of them do. Nothing you'd normally notice. Could be that whoever swapped the handle installed the spring washers in wrong. Turn them around to where they are opposing each other and that should eat up that play and improve your drag pressure. He may have lost a washer or two as well, or maybe the handle itself is thinner than stock and needs to be shimmed.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:41 am

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if a tatula drag star will mount right up to these with the stock handle? I'd like a longer one so I can twitch shakey heads one handed, but I don't want a longer handle.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:33 pm

poisonokie wrote:While we're on the subject, does anyone know if a tatula drag star will mount right up to these with the stock handle? I'd like a longer one so I can twitch shakey heads one handed, but I don't want a longer handle.
It should. Steez, Zillion, T3, and Tat should all interchange.