New Fuego Baitcaster

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Fuego Baitcaster

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:17 am

Retail in the US for the Alpahs SV 105 is around $269. From Japan they seem to be around $200 give or take,though I paid about $185 for mine shipped and had it in 3 days.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:52 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Retail in the US for the Alpahs SV 105 is around $269. From Japan they seem to be around $200 give or take,though I paid about $185 for mine shipped and had it in 3 days.
I sent you a pm.

DirtydeucegooseUSMC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DirtydeucegooseUSMC » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:31 am

mark poulson wrote:
DirtydeucegooseUSMC wrote:For what they can be had for on the auction site I may pick one up as it fits a niche I've been searching for. For $100 it may be the first reel I really get my hands dirty with as far as taking it apart and tinkering around with as I won't be too upset if I ruin it. And with no first hand experience with it, it doesn't look too shabby on paper as long as you aren't concerned about weight.
If you have a cellphone camera, take pictures as you go, so you'll remember what went where.
I put out a clean cloth (so dropped stuff doesn't bounce) and then put the parts in line as I remove them, right to left.
Helps me keep stuff organized, and that way I put it back together the same way it came apart.
Watch out for the two little springs on the spool engaging mechanism. They can get lost easily, so take them off as soon as you see them.
It's fun. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, looking forward to learning something new.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:46 pm

How did this post go from a Fuego to an Alphas? I just want a reel to throw cranks that I don't throw that often anyway. Just don't want an expensive reel sitting in the rod locker.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 pm

BigAl23 wrote:How did this post go from a Fuego to an Alphas? I just want a reel to throw cranks that I don't throw that often anyway. Just don't want an expensive reel sitting in the rod locker.
Could you not have mentioned that from the get go? You pot stirrer! :big grin:

I'd go with the Tat if that's the case, pretty sure you'll gain distance (Twing), which is certainly a positive when throwing cranks.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:22 am

389Maverick wrote:
BigAl23 wrote:How did this post go from a Fuego to an Alphas? I just want a reel to throw cranks that I don't throw that often anyway. Just don't want an expensive reel sitting in the rod locker.
Could you not have mentioned that from the get go? You pot stirrer! :big grin:

I'd go with the Tat if that's the case, pretty sure you'll gain distance (Twing), which is certainly a positive when throwing cranks.
Yep, I was gonna say it but you already took care of it. I've used my Tatula's for 2 seasons now (crankbaits and spinnerbaits) and have more respect for them than I ever thought I would. Very solid performance for cheap!

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 am

i got to play with a new Fuego casting reel at my local shop tonight. Very nice looking reel, it feels smooth and the over-the-counter impression is it should be every bit as awesome as the Tatula. Im tempted to buy one so i can disect it and a tatula, or maybe do something weird like put a twing in a fuego and delete the twing on the tatula just for giggles.

I realize alot of TT hardcores are rather anti- Tatula platform but I really like it. Yeh, alot of variants of it but it doesnr torque me off like it does some of you :lol:

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:04 pm

mark poulson wrote:
DirtydeucegooseUSMC wrote:For what they can be had for on the auction site I may pick one up as it fits a niche I've been searching for. For $100 it may be the first reel I really get my hands dirty with as far as taking it apart and tinkering around with as I won't be too upset if I ruin it. And with no first hand experience with it, it doesn't look too shabby on paper as long as you aren't concerned about weight.
If you have a cellphone camera, take pictures as you go, so you'll remember what went where.
I put out a clean cloth (so dropped stuff doesn't bounce) and then put the parts in line as I remove them, right to left.
Helps me keep stuff organized, and that way I put it back together the same way it came apart.
Watch out for the two little springs on the spool engaging mechanism. They can get lost easily, so take them off as soon as you see them.
It's fun. Good luck.

If your worried about shooting the springs across the room and losing them, you could put the reel in a nice sized freezer bag while you do it.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:30 pm

So what size is the new Fuego? Is it a 100, 150, or 200? The reason I ask this is because it appears the spools will not swap with the 100 size Tatulas (which appears to be the reel it's based off of). To bad a Daiwa rep is no longer on TT to find out.

http://www.dreamtackledesign.com/spool_ta103.asp

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm

JWR075 wrote:So what size is the new Fuego? Is it a 100, 150, or 200? The reason I ask this is because it appears the spools will not swap with the 100 size Tatulas (which appears to be the reel it's based off of). To bad a Daiwa rep is no longer on TT to find out.

physically, it is the exact same size as the Tatulas.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Demoman wrote:
JWR075 wrote:So what size is the new Fuego? Is it a 100, 150, or 200? The reason I ask this is because it appears the spools will not swap with the 100 size Tatulas (which appears to be the reel it's based off of). To bad a Daiwa rep is no longer on TT to find out.

physically, it is the exact same size as the Tatulas.
Let me rephrase the question, what is the spool's physical size (diameter and shaft) for the Tatula (103) vs the new Fuego? Was looking for a cheaper cranking reel that could be upgraded with better spool (Tatula HLC).