crankin reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

crankin reel

Post by BigAl23 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 pm

So for a technique I don't use often, what reel would you recommend for cranks? Nor do I want a reel over $150. I was thinking Tatula because of the cost and the T wing. Does it cast further than a conventional baitcaster?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: crankin reel

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 pm

People say it doesn't, I think it does, especially on an easy roll cast. They are tough reels, too, so I think they're great for cranking. The 6.3 or 7.3 would suit the task well. If you reel righty, there's the low gear model to consider, but I don't feel like there's much utility outside of cranking, and mostly deep cranking at that, which can still be accomplished with the 6.3 without too much fatigue.
Which rod are you planning on using?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:58 am

If you're going to buy new the Tatula will be a good buy. The 6.3:1 gears will work for everything until you get to the deep drivers. If you're OK with used TDZs in 6.3:1 or 5.7:1 would be great for the price. I use a Zillion Crazy Cranker 4.9:1 for my deep cranking and like it a lot.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:23 am

I find that, for moving baits that I cast repeatedly, a lighter reel helps with fatigue, over the course of a long day.
If you can stretch your budget, this is a great light casting reel:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Tea ... -LTPC.html

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:45 am

I reel lefty and picked up a lexa on clearness at tw. 4.9 to 1 has a lot of power and is super smooth on the retrieve. I liked it so much I was able to get a 6.3 to 1 for all purpose.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:26 am

I had trouble with that 4.9:1 left lexa twice. Before it messed up, it was great, but a tatula is worth the extra $40.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:38 am

I'd try and find either a used Zillion 5 gear or a Chronarch/Curado 5 gear. With some time you can find either of them for your budget price. All 3 are tanks and will last forever with the front runner going to the Zillion.

I bought a NIB Chronarch 200E5 for cranking about 4 years ago and very seldom crank. Reel still looks new and runs like a champ.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:31 am

x2 Tatula!! I can't get enough of the Tatula cranking reel ease of casting and yes I do get a further cast with it. The 5.4:1 gear ratio is great for a lot of different crankbaits. And I find that paired with my Kistler Magnesium composite crankbait rods I have found the ideal set up for cranking!!

Jeff

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:56 am

I had a Curado E5 and E7 that were superb crankers! I gave them away to students of mine for Christmas. I may get another E5 since it was stress free to cast.

I also think the TDZ reels are superb crankers. Easy to find s good used one.

A Zillion Crazy Cranker is superb!! I think I like it best.

In the end, I finally realized it was not the WEIGHT of the reel that made the greatest advantage.

It is the EASE of casting, the EFFORT it saves. Think about it...we spend MUCH more time REELING in a crankbait than CASTING one.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:07 am

Any former Zillion variants would be awesome, and can be found second hand within your price range. Eventually, when get bored, you can save up for a IZE HLC spool, and have yourself an absolute beast of a reel. Just get that finger ready for that wild child, but the smoothness and distance is something to be experienced. 8-)

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:08 am

I say get a faster reel, and just slow down when you're cranking big baits. Since you can feel the throb of a crankbait, anyway, you can feel how it's working, and being able to slow down is easier than having to speed up a slow reel by winding like crazy.
I remember reeling a trap like a mad man, when all I had was a 5:1 reel.
I just caught a 30" salmon, using a 7:1 Smoke reel, 15lb mono, and a med. lite rod.
I was digging the wiggle wart hard as it came up a steep dropoff. Speed was a big factor in getting the bite, but I was able to keep up with the fish, once it was hooked, and that was because of the faster reel.
I am 68, have arthritis in both hands, and I find the faster reels are no problem, even when I'm deep cranking DD22's.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:39 pm

poisonokie wrote:People say it doesn't, I think it does, especially on an easy roll cast. They are tough reels, too, so I think they're great for cranking. The 6.3 or 7.3 would suit the task well. If you reel righty, there's the low gear model to consider, but I don't feel like there's much utility outside of cranking, and mostly deep cranking at that, which can still be accomplished with the 6.3 without too much fatigue.

I have a 7' St Croix Avid MM

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:12 am

BigAl23 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:People say it doesn't, I think it does, especially on an easy roll cast. They are tough reels, too, so I think they're great for cranking. The 6.3 or 7.3 would suit the task well. If you reel righty, there's the low gear model to consider, but I don't feel like there's much utility outside of cranking, and mostly deep cranking at that, which can still be accomplished with the 6.3 without too much fatigue.

I have a 7' St Croix Avid MM
Oh yeah, that would suit a tat just fine. It palms well with that reel seat.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:07 am

I used to be pretty much all Shimano with my reels, but in recent years, I've switched over to where I now have a lot of 2 different reels...Lews Tournament Lites and Tatulas! These reels are impressive for the $$ for sure. If you were going to go with a faster gear ratio reel, the Tourney Lite comes in a 6.4:1 ratio that'd be great for crankbaits. It can be found for ~$150. Having said that, since long casts are usually very important with cranks, I think I'd have to say I'd recommend the Tatula as my first choice in this price range. It will be a bit more bulky and weigh a little more than the Tourney Lite, so those things could sway you the other way, but I think the casting performance is worth it. Both of these reels are built like tanks and are super smooth on the retrieve.

Justin