Itching for another high end spinning reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Itching for another high end spinning reel

Post by jpmoney » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:36 pm

My vote is overwhelmingly in favor of the 2014 stella. It doesnt get any better than that. The new daiwa exist is IMO a notch below the stella in all aspects.

You can also get a stella for a little less $$ than the exist.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:10 pm

zodiak311 wrote: But it makes "cents" for Daiwa.
Doesn't make sense for me. I used 12 different reels this past seaon. If I switch them all over to mag seal that will get expensive. I'd be OK with sending in one or two reels and but not 12. Call me paranoid but I don't really trust anyone to work on my reels, nobody will take care of your stuff like you will.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote: But it makes "cents" for Daiwa.
Doesn't make sense for me. I used 12 different reels this past seaon. If I switch them all over to mag seal that will get expensive. I'd be OK with sending in one or two reels and but not 12. Call me paranoid but I don't really trust anyone to work on my reels, nobody will take care of your stuff like you will.
Agreed, that's why I don't like them. And I don't trust anyone either, except Mr. Shields, otherwise I do everything myself.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Daiwa got screwed on Magsealed concept. To be too greedy in most cases is not good for the business.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:09 am

I think I am going to change my vote. If I really wanted to get one of the best spinning reels money could buy I would purchase the Daiwa Morethan Branzino. I believe they were only sold in Japan and Australia, and it was discontinued some time ago. The Morethan uses what Daiwa calls the hyper digi gear, the first gen had a stainless steel pinion gear and brass alloy main gear. I believe the second generation went to a brass pinion gear and brass alloy maingear. Either gen has a near bulletproof gearbox. I have seen them used on eBay for around $400 and I think they retailed for around $800. Here's what they look like on the inside.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1k_4AV6Yzs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V62N0YAlaew

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 am

big_gee wrote:I say get the Steez if you already have the Stella. I have the Steez and not many reels feels like butter in your hand like the Steez. It is light weight solid and the drag is incredible.
x2 on the Steez!! Smoothest spinning reel I've ever own!!

sadler81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sadler81 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 am

I would get the jdm certate. For the price it a no brainer.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm

sadler81 wrote:I would get the jdm certate. For the price it a no brainer.
Is the jdm a better version than the usdm certate ha. Looking hard at these which means my ocd is already locked on, so its inevitable that I will Buy one of these.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Also what jdm certate 2500 series has the 6.1 gear ratio like the usdm ha.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 am

TOPWATER wrote:Also what jdm certate 2500 series has the 6.1 gear ratio like the usdm ha.

The 2510PE-H is 6.0:1 and holds 160 yds of 8lb (0.23mm)
I have 5 certates (two mag seal models) & have never serviced one yet in 5 or six years. They simply have not required any service based on feel. The mag seal concept is no big deal if the reel works flawlessly for years in my opinion. I do have my casting reels serviced whenever they need it including a few by Ian.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:31 am

dhottle wrote:
TOPWATER wrote:Also what jdm certate 2500 series has the 6.1 gear ratio like the usdm ha.

The 2510PE-H is 6.0:1 and holds 160 yds of 8lb (0.23mm)
I have 5 certates (two mag seal models) & have never serviced one yet in 5 or six years. They simply have not required any service based on feel. The mag seal concept is no big deal if the reel works flawlessly for years in my opinion. I do have my casting reels serviced whenever they need it including a few by Ian.
are there any differences between the usdm and jdm other than price and slightly different look?

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:22 am

the '13 JDM certate has a magsealed line roller, and a different (lighter) design for the air rotor. the magsealed line roller is an excellent upgrade, i have 4 '10 certates (3 jdm and 1 usdm) and the only problems i have had with them is the line roller gets noisy and needs to be cleaned/relubed. the '13 with its magsealed roller has had no problems in 2 years of service (and its slightly smoother than the others, to boot).

i also have a c2000hgs vanquish, and for a very light rod (mine is on a 6'5" l/f major craft ms-x limited) i would get that over a certate, but for anything other than that its the certate all the way.

personally, while i would love to get a stella or exist, i have a hard time believing that they are a whole lot better than a certate, and for the price of either, you can get 2 certates. to me its a no brainer!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I will be picking up the stella soon.

that is my answer...