Ballistic EX or SH

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ballistic EX or SH

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 am

I have always used stradics, but after getting an older model fuego, I have been curious about the Ballistic reels. I've decided to give one of these a try and newer isn't always better so...
Anybody thats used both of these have any advice on which one would be better. I fish freshwater only.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ballistic EX or SH

Post by jwfflipper14 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 am

I have and had both reels and my Ballistic EX is a FINE reel for sure!! I also have a Steez 2508 IMHO the best reel there is but the Ballistic EX is just a step below it.
I haven't found a situation where the Ballistic didn't what I wanted it to do. I live in southern Louisiana and have caught my different fish with the Ballistic EX and it has stood the challenge. I don't you'll be disappointed!!

Jeff

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Thats good to here, but is the ex a better reel than the Ballistic sh?

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

I use the Cabelas Verano which is their version of the Ballistic SH. They are a fine reel for the money and I prefer Daiwa over Shimano when it comes to spinning. Reels have been flawless for two years now.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Absolutely, already made up my mind to buy one. Just looking for info so I can decide on which one.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:59 am

Are you wanting the faster retrieve of the SH? It isn't clear in your post. I would choose the faster retrieve for bottom contact baits. It is nice to be able to wind in your bottom bouncing baits very quickly when you are ready to make another cast. The slower ratio of the EX is better if you are slow winding reaction baits, but the 5.6 ratio of the EX is still faster than most reels of the recent past. I think the 5.6 ratio is a good compromise.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:07 am

Definitely bottom contact. If the only difference between the 2 is gear ratio, I would choose the sh. Thank you.....

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:18 am

I own 2 of the Ballistic SH's, they were sold up until 2014. The EX replaced it last summer. The main difference is the EX has Mag Seal and the SH doesn't. Mag Seal is the magnetic oil that makes the rotor waterproof. I actually prefer the SH over the EX because Mag seal reels can only be serviced by Daiwa. Besides the mag seal the SH and EX reels are very similar, both are made out of Zaion (Carbon fiber). The EX model does have 2 more ball bearing but the SH has 4 corrosion resistant bearings when compared to only 1 on the EX. I fell like Daiwa swapped out the CCR bearings to add the Mag Seal. One feature I like about the EX is it has the screw in type handle, the SH doesn't. The last time I was at Cabelas I spun the handle an EX, it felt exactly like my SH's. I also prefer the T-handle on the SH2500, the EX2500 has an oval shape handle. You might be able to find the SH models on sale, I bought mine for $100 each. :big grin:

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:44 pm

I went ahead and bought the 2000sh and 2500sh. Gotta good deal so we shall see.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 am

TOPWATER wrote:I went ahead and bought the 2000sh and 2500sh. Gotta good deal so we shall see.
They are great reels, you won't be disappointed!