Shimano Casitas ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Casitas ?

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Anybody pick one up? Seems like a steep price for a reel with a graphite frame, but the 150 size makes it interesting for a lower end offering. $92 Tatulas are gonna be hard to dethrone in my book :)

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Casitas ?

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 am

Checked one out in one of the local Field & Stream shops and it seems pretty solid. Looks nice. Anybody use one yet? TT gift guide gave it a favorable nod. Wouldn't mind getting a full review.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:04 am

Just a little bump in case anyone got one for Xmas?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:41 am

I have one on its way to me finally(Due to being back ordered at TW). Ill post pics when I get it

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Looks like it would be the perfect mix of great looks and strong enough to toss treble hook baits and topwater plugs. Using a mono line on it, should be no worries with flex of any sort.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:22 am

Looking forward to some pics and reviews!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:19 pm

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:00 pm

I think it's a great budget reel. Smaller profile than the curado and citica and weighs almost an ounce lighter. Palms better too. I'll wait until supply catches up and get it for $80ish at the Sportshow in May. Can't fish until May anyway.

DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DelcoSol » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:35 pm

I handled one in the store yesterday. Seems like a nice reel for the money.

hysupra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hysupra » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am

Love the look of this reel. I'm sure a couple of bearing upgrades would really improve the quality of it. Can't complain about the weight, that's for sure.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 am

The casitas got here yesterday and I'll post pics tonite. Just some observations, feels solid, very small and compact (almost as small as the Aldebaran) and super comfortable to Palm. Theres a concave section on the top of the frame where my thumb naturally goes and rests in. It weighs 6.8 oz.but for some reason feels heavier? Probably due to the compactness Spool weights 15.3 grams. Spool is narrow like the Aldebaran 50 but deeper. Levelwind is farther away from the spool than the Aldebaran which should make this a decent caster at least for normal sized lures. The knobs are really comfortable. They are contoured like the old septons but thicker than the Aldebaran knobs. Cast control cap is metal and very nice to the touch and to turn. Retrieve is not the normal Shimano buttery smooth, has a slight Geary quality to it. The handle is very heavy and you can feel the effort it takes to turn it vs the Aldebaran. I'm sure you can shave off half an ounce with a lighter aftermarket handle. The brake blocks are of a different design and are more like the 6 pin svs to activate and deactivate. Won't be able to fish it until this weekend though to get a feel of its performance. So far very happy with the Casitas

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:13 am

Thanks for your time to update booty... I'll be tuning in for the follow up !

Jeff

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 am

Thinking about one of these for a jerkbait reel, just wondering how that graphite frame will hold up. Obviously not a ton of stress jerkbaiting but still not a fan of graphite. How does the frame itself feel compared to say a chronarch ci4?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:47 am

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 am

kstephes033 wrote:Thinking about one of these for a jerkbait reel, just wondering how that graphite frame will hold up. Obviously not a ton of stress jerkbaiting but still not a fan of graphite. How does the frame itself feel compared to say a chronarch ci4?
To be honest the weight difference is only .2-.3 oz but the Casitas feels heavier than that and more solid. Again I attribute that to it being more compact and smaller. The handle does not have any play in it at all, neither do the knobs. I looked at the schematics and it looks like the pinion doesnt have a bearing to support it? Ill have to see how that affects the retrieve this weekend if fish decide to cooperate and bite my lures.