Shimano Casitas ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Casitas ?

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:54 am

Any useage updates? Wondering about the durability of the graphite frame and such.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:36 am

Sorry man, I haven't used it in months, no from dislike, but from acquiring other reels. Too many reels, not enough time. It's a solid reel, feels quite dense. You won't be disappointed by the performance.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:27 am

I purchased a Casitas back in May to use as a light duty cranking reel. Mounted it on a Bass Pro 6' 6" medium rod that has a great flex for the small cranks and hard baits I use when wading the creeks and rivers of Ohio and Indiana. The reel is spooled with .012 diameter Suffix Seige (rated 10lb, iirc). I'm typically throwing a Sammy 85, Live Pointer 95, Rapala DT6, Wiggle Wart or a Rebel Crawfish. Occasionally fished a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait with a 3" curly tail grub trailer. I've not used this reel for anything over 1/2 ounce total payload.

I did fish the reel on my Powell 683 for a short time with a jig and small swimbait trailer.

The reel is capable of surprising distances. I typically fish a Chronarch CI4, E50 or tuned 100SF, and also have a few Abu lp's and rounds. The Casitas is like the Ci4 in the way it palms and feels. It's very similar in casting, perhaps just a bit wilder when dialing down to these lighter weights. Note that I've done nothing but spool and fish the Casitas - no cleaning or lube. Just a drop of oil on the bearings last trip and a wipe down every trip. It's been out about 6 times this season (not a great season for me). Working like a charm.

On retrieve, this isn't a powerful feeling reel. I like it with the jerkbaits and topwaters, but its a bight tight when grinding a Wiggle Wart in the rocks. Nothing that's a problem, just a feel when compared to other reels and I'm happy to fish it. No problems with a fish on, but nothing really large enough to test the tackle has been my way this season. The retrieve is smooth like an ABU or Lew's lp. Its smooth enough, but nothing like the 100SF. One can imagine feeling the teeth of the gears coming together.

Handle length is good, fit and finish are typical of a mass producted product - which is to say unremarkable. Exactly what you'd expect for the price range. The Casitias definitely fishes a little better than it costs and its a good choice for the application for which I bought it.

Joe C.