Daiwa Tatula Type HD....???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Tatula Type HD....???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Does the Tatula Type HD have enough line capacity for 2-3oz+ swimbaits and A-Rigs....???

Just getting into swimbait fishing. I do not want to go up to a 300-400 sized reel as my hands are kind of small and these bigger sizes are pretty cumbersome for me.

3oz is probably the max lure weight I will be throwing on this reel.

I am planning to use 50lb braid with a 10' mono/fluoro leader...so I know for sure I can get more line capacity this way also.

Probably pair it up with a 7'6" - 7'9" H-XH flippin/swimbait rod.

On a side note....I used to have a zillion with 65lb braid and I remember one time throwing a 2 3/4oz bait on a 7'5" rod and I came pretty close to the bare spool. Kind of made me think twice about swimbait lure weights and line capacity. And is the reason I am wanting the Tatula HD as I know it has a deeper spool than a zillion.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula Type HD....???

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38 pm

I don't think there's any way you'll cast all the 50# braid off that HD spool. I think that's exactly what that model is intended for.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:41 am

I think the HD is a reasonable fit for that application if you use braid, but make sure that it balances reasonably well on the rod you choose. Fishing large swimbaits and A-rigs is a lot of work and you don't want to make it more work than it has to be. Baits that displace a lot of water are much easier to wind with the bigger and slower gear ratio reels.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 pm

I use my Tatula hd in the 6.3:1 ratio for swimbaits and a-rigs up to 3 ounces and 20 lb mono. I have had zero issues concerning power or line capacity. It fits the bill perfectly. I also have. Lexa 300 but I like the Tatula had much more for the weight range.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:33 am

vncnt wrote:I use my Tatula hd in the 6.3:1 ratio for swimbaits and a-rigs up to 3 ounces and 20 lb mono. I have had zero issues concerning power or line capacity. It fits the bill perfectly. I also have. Lexa 300 but I like the Tatula had much more for the weight range.
I agree 100% - the Tatula HD is a better reel for me than the Lexa 300. I no longer have the Lexa 300 as I much prefer the Tatula HD which handles 1 to 3 oz baits nicely at a great price point.