What are the must have reels ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What are the must have reels ?

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 am

Adding to the great Stella spinning reel, I'd add the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ for those with a bit tighter budget. Depending on reel size, they are somewhere just north of $200 and they are simply great. I don't think I have ever read a negative review on this reel.

Brad

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:37 am

Brad in Texas wrote:Adding to the great Stella spinning reel, I'd add the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ for those with a bit tighter budget. Depending on reel size, they are somewhere just north of $200 and they are simply great. I don't think I have ever read a negative review on this reel.

Brad
The CI4+ is where I started and I would say a Certate is closer to a Stella. If i could turn back time, I would have stayed with the Certate rather than the Stella's but as I have them, I will keep them.

As for spinning reels, the Opus One is the only one on my radar.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:
Brad in Texas wrote:Adding to the great Stella spinning reel, I'd add the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ for those with a bit tighter budget. Depending on reel size, they are somewhere just north of $200 and they are simply great. I don't think I have ever read a negative review on this reel.

Brad
The CI4+ is where I started and I would say a Certate is closer to a Stella. If i could turn back time, I would have stayed with the Certate rather than the Stella's but as I have them, I will keep them.

I've never used a CI4+ but I can say that my Certate is nowhere as smooth as my Vanquish and I've issues with the Certate (written about in another thread). I would definitely take the Vanquish over the Certate.

I wonder if anyone on TT besides the original reviewer has ever used that Unicorn. I've never even heard a peep.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:30 am

I've heard a lot about Shimano and Daiwa but what about Abu Garcia Revo Beast for Flipping and Pitching ? Or the REVO LTX for general use ?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Everybody should own at least one correctly colored Pixzilla. :big grin:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:I've heard a lot about Shimano and Daiwa but what about Abu Garcia Revo Beast for Flipping and Pitching ? Or the REVO LTX for general use ?
I enjoy shimano, abu, and daiwa reels about equally --- with a slight shimano preference (abu>daiwa when all price points are considered and daiwa>abu when talking high-end reels).
I have the abu garcia beast and the mgxtreme (not ltx). Both are great reels. I use the beast for pike baits weighing 3/4-2 oz - mostly jerk/glidebaits, swimbaits and spoons. I think it would fit your purpose very well - if the z2020 is hard to find.
The mgxtreme is a very fine general purpose reel, albeit somewhat expensive in the US.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:17 am

hawkoath wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:

Brad

I've never used a CI4+ but I can say that my Certate is nowhere as smooth as my Vanquish and I've issues with the Certate (written about in another thread). I would definitely take the Vanquish over the Certate.

I wonder if anyone on TT besides the original reviewer has ever used that Unicorn. I've never even heard a peep.
weird, i have 5 certates (all 2000/2004) and a vanquish c2000hgs, the certates are far and away smoother than the vanquish. the vanquish isnt rough, at all, but just not as buttery as the certates (especially the '13 model).

my next reel to be purchased over the winter will be a daiwa ignis type-r 2505 to go on my destroyer phase 3 aaron matens limited.

Rascal
Angler
Angler

Post by Rascal » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 am

I will just keep it simple, if I can only have 1 reel covering from Bass to Muskies to light saltwater work such as Red Drums, I will just take the Calcutta D. The Conquest is smoother, but the Calcutta D is more than good enough. The 200 size will be enough to handle most fish. The only thing I would do to it like I do with most Shimano baitcasters is just upgrade the drag to Carbontex.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:04 am

Rascal wrote:I will just keep it simple, if I can only have 1 reel covering from Bass to Muskies to light saltwater work such as Red Drums, I will just take the Calcutta D. The Conquest is smoother, but the Calcutta D is more than good enough. The 200 size will be enough to handle most fish. The only thing I would do to it like I do with most Shimano baitcasters is just upgrade the drag to Carbontex.
It is a very nice reel. Also very good looking - quite classy in its simplicity. Personally, I do not mind that access to the brake blocks is "difficult". I have two brake blocks on and just enjoy it. Haven't installed carbontex yet - brake seems good enough to me. Still, I would not mind it if I could get an aftermarket spool for the reel, eg a light weight Avail spool (not too shallow). At present, a 1/4 oz lure is as low as I can comfortably go with the reel.

poopformayor
Angler
Angler

Post by poopformayor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:02 am

My must have reels are
1. Daiwa Z2020
2. Shimano Antares
3. Daiwa steez ex

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:07 am

Jdmbassman wrote:...what about Abu Garcia ... REVO LTX for general use ?
The LTX has an ultralight spool--around 7 g, I think, stock. The manufacturer cautions against using heavy line on it; I think the max might be 10 lb. test. Spool deformation risk.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Casting reels:

shimano metanium DC
shimano metanium
Daiwa J-dream or MB IP series

Spinning reel:

Shimano stella 2014

staten island angler
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by staten island angler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:54 pm

All the dream reels I wanted I was able to get except the I'ze light so that would be my choice!

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:27 am

poopformayor wrote:My must have reels are
1. Daiwa Z2020
2. Shimano Antares
3. Daiwa steez ex
What do you use the Z2020 vs Antares for ? The reason I ask is that I thought they did pretty much the same job so surprised to see both up there

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
It is a very nice reel. Also very good looking - quite classy in its simplicity. Personally, I do not mind that access to the brake blocks is "difficult". I have two brake blocks on and just enjoy it. Haven't installed carbontex yet - brake seems good enough to me. Still, I would not mind it if I could get an aftermarket spool for the reel, eg a light weight Avail spool (not too shallow). At present, a 1/4 oz lure is as low as I can comfortably go with the reel.
It's not difficult if you get the JDM Version of the 12 Calcutta 200. In case you don't know, the JDM Version has the flip open sideplate.