Help decide gear ratios

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Yerman
Angler
Angler

Help decide gear ratios

Post by Yerman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 am

Hey guys...I'm probably going to be picking up a few 13 Fishing Concept "A" reels during the holiday sales this year. My question has to do with gear ratios.

I know I want higher gear ratios but can't decide between the 7:3.1 and the 8.1:1 versions.

Here are the techniques I will be buying for and what I am thinking I should buy...

1. 7.3:1 - Plastics - texas riged worms, senkos, carolina rigs, etc.
2. 8.1:1 - Topwater - frogs, zara spooks,etc.
3. 8.1:1 - Flippin and pitchin - pig n jigs, beavers, etc.

What do you guys think?

NOTE: EDITED TO BE MORE CLEAR
Last edited by Yerman on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help decide gear ratios

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:12 am

I take it you are a righty. Use the L for flipping, R 8.1 for frogging and topwater, R 7.3 for plastics.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:48 am

Removed
Last edited by Yerman on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:41 am

OK, then just switch the 8.1's around.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 am

Thanks Gambler.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think we are confusing each other with the Left and Right hand thing...I just removed it to keep it simple :D

So...do you think the 7.3:1 is good for plastics? Or should I consider making them all 8.1:1 reels? What about the other setups?

I guess I know that I want more line per crank, but don't know what ratio I should go with for each technique.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:21 am

I have an 8.1 in the new Metanium DC, and that thing can burn some baits, but for me would be a little too fast for fishing T-Rig soft plastics and such (worms, lizards, etc). I use it to burn soft plastic swimbaits across the surface. I think the 7 gear would be better, especially if you tie on something you want to work slow. Also, what is the IPT on the 8.1? If its around 37IPT, its freaking fast for slow applications.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:49 am

You know...I'm not sure. 13 fishing doesn't advertise their IPT.

I will say that when I fish plastics, all the action I put in my bait is with the rod. I never use the reel handle to work my bait back to the boat. My main concern is that when I make a long cast and/or a fish picks up my bait and swims towards the boat, I have to wind like crazy to get the slack out before I set the hook. I wanted a faster reel for plastic mainly for that reason.

When I am fishing topwater, I usually stay as far away from my targets as possible to prevent spooking the fish...after I get about 10' away from my target, I like to bring it in quick and get my bait back in the strike zone. That's why I was thinking that a high speed reel would be better for topwater.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:13 am

I would go with 8.1 for those techniques.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 am

Although I use Daiwa Tatulas my reels are 7.3:1 and 8.1:1 and I use those reels for everything but crankbaits and spinnerbaits!! I love being able to get a cast back in and on to the next cast. Haven't had any problems with these ratios!

Jeff

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 pm

If this helps you, I flip/pitch/punch with a Megabass IP68 that has 7.3 gear set. I frog with a Zillion Coastal which has 7.3. I burn swim baits with a 15MetaniumDC XG with 8.1. I fish top water poppers/spooks with a Curado50E with a set of Core 7 gear set. I throw soft plastics with a Zillion HA that's 6.3 gears. I have a MetaniumMG7 that I use for jigs.