Question regarding Alpha SV 105 for inshore use

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Question regarding Alpha SV 105 for inshore use

Post by Congoman775 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:17 am

Hey guys, I have a question for those who use or have experience with the Alpha 105 SV. I'm considering buying one for general light inshore use, targeting Redfish, Speckled Trout, and the occasional Snook. I'd like to throw everything from 1/8oz jigs up to 5/8oz Paul Brown lures & Topwaters, and my question is do you think this reel has the guts and capacity to throw those bigger lures, as well as the finesse to manage the smaller ones? And how do you see that reel holding up to the corosive inshore elements? I'm not going to tell you I break down every reel and clean after each trip, just doesn't happen. Good rinse and some Salt-Away or something is typical with a more thorough clean maybe once or twice a year.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Question regarding Alpha SV 105 for inshore use

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:50 am

I dont think thats a good idea. Nowhere close to enough line if a bull takes you on a run.

Yerman
Angler
Angler

Post by Yerman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:59 am

Hey Congoman...I agree that you might want to look into a larger capacity reel.

Have you seen the Curado 300J for a small reel with higher line capacity? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SC3ER.html

Another option is a round baitcaster. If you have the money...I have one of these...http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... ge-SC.html

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 am

I used mine for some light inshore and loved it. I used 30 lb braid with a fluoro leader so I felt like I had plenty of capacity. It's aluminum frame with brass gears make it a solid reel.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks for the responses guys. My concerns are mostly about whether or not it'd handle the casting of heavier 5/8oz lures, and hold up to Saltwater, I enjoy catching fish on lighter-than-you-might-imagine sized gear. Am I correct in assuming this reel is the most similar Daiwa version of the Chronarch 50 reels?

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 am

Compared to the 50e, it feels more refined to me, as I own both. So long as your using braid you'll be able to make up for the lack of spool depth with the inherent thinner diamter of PE lines. Slap a topshot of 20lb test flouro and I'd imagine you could make an SV105 do good work inshore. I myself, feel the reel lacks a bit of torque for the ratios when compared to my Zillions and Tatulas but that's not a problem for BASS. I dunno how the torque issue may affect the species you are after or if it's just in my head, but I swear when I reel fish in on my SV105hs it feels like I really have to work at turning the handle under load.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 pm

It will cast 5/8 like a Champ, plus anything lighter. That's the heaviest I've gone with mine though. Not the most powerful reel around. You can get approx 190 feet of. 275 mm line on this spool.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:15 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:It will cast 5/8 like a Champ, plus anything lighter. That's the heaviest I've gone with mine though. Not the most powerful reel around. You can get approx 190 feet of. 275 mm line on this spool.
UH-OH with 12# sniper and 3/4 LCB going to spool it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:32 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:It will cast 5/8 like a Champ, plus anything lighter. That's the heaviest I've gone with mine though. Not the most powerful reel around. You can get approx 190 feet of. 275 mm line on this spool.
UH-OH with 12# sniper and 3/4 LCB going to spool it.
I suppose it's possible, but good luck setting the hook.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:33 am

I have thrown a R2S S-Waver 168 on one of my Alphas SV's on a KLX 7-3 Hvy Mod-fast (w/ 30# braid) and it worked fine for me. That's 1.75 oz! It handled the bait AND a 6# fish without feeling over-matched. The factory drag seems very smooth to me, as well. btw, that's not the reel I typically throw smaller glides with, but I had left my swimbait set-up at home and it handled that bait surprisingly well. And I do use it to throw frogs regularly.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:36 am

I have one and it gets used inshore fishing. With braid I feel like I can handle anything the inshore can throw me (this includes bull reds as it has brought a 39" to the yak). I have absolutely no problems with it!