Tatula vs new Fuego?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tatula vs new Fuego?

Post by joekaz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:42 am

Has anybody bought the new Fuego yet and compared it to the Tatula. I am curious if the Tatula with the t-wing will outcast the Fuego with the regular line guide. Maybe the TT guys will do a comparison test.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula vs new Fuego?

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:44 am

I doubt it. I just wonder if the form factor is any narrower.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:02 am

Im probably going to get the fuego for my new crank rod. More bearings, lighter weight and better spool.

Twing is pretty much a gimmick that made their reels uncomfortable to palm and killed the zillion line. There is a reason the steez pixy and sv105 has typical line guide.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:08 am

Theoretically T-Wing outcasts standard guide by 15%. Daiwa mention that in every catalog.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:32 am

Montanaro wrote:Im probably going to get the fuego for my new crank rod. More bearings, lighter weight and better spool.

Twing is pretty much a gimmick that made their reels uncomfortable to palm and killed the zillion line. There is a reason the steez pixy and sv105 has typical line guide.
The Fuego might be uncomfortable for you to palm also. It looks to me like it has the same wide nose as the Tatula.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am

I don't think the t wing is a gimmick at all. The line definitely comes off more smoothly whether pitching or casting. I get better casting distance with less effort and risk of backlash and I think the tatula palms just fine, at least on a tatula rod, though I do have larger hands. To get optimum casting distance with a standard line guide you need to make sure it's aligned with the center of the spool. Not so with the t wing. Especially on the t3 because the spool is a normal width. What killed the zillion line is the fact that it's not much of an upgrade over the tatula despite costing 2-3 times as much. Granted, I'd love one, but won't spend that much on it. Personally, I can't wait to see what this project t 2016 is all about. It's nitrided at least, so there's less worry about the etching people experience. I haven't seen it on any of mine, but all that ever goes through them is braid, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I have 3 tatulas and a t3.

T3 palms the best of those 4.....but not even close to as comfortable as my tdz.

Do I hate twing? No. Can I live without it for a lower price tag, more bearings and a better spool? Without a doubt.

I imagine that if daiwa is to keep their twing baby, they must be working on smaller versions.

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brighamvang » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Montanaro wrote:I have 3 tatulas and a t3.

T3 palms the best of those 4.....but not even close to as comfortable as my tdz.

Do I hate twing? No. Can I live without it for a lower price tag, more bearings and a better spool? Without a doubt.

I imagine that if daiwa is to keep their twing baby, they must be working on smaller versions.
I'm pretty sure with all the out cry of a smaller profile/t-wing/3d brake system Daiwa will answer.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Montanaro wrote:Im probably going to get the fuego for my new crank rod. More bearings, lighter weight and better spool.

You state better spool, can you explain?

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:34 pm

It comes with the tatula type r spool

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:59 am

Montanaro wrote:It comes with the tatula type r spool
Where did this info come from? I could find nothing on TW, Daiwa or even TT Icast preview to suggest this. Something I did notice and that on a certain aftermarket spool for the Tat it said would not fit Fuego. I'd be curious to read about the Fuego with the Type R spool. Can you please share the link?

Here is the link to the aftermarket spool that says will not fit Fuego or Tatula 150.
http://www.dreamtackledesign.com/spool_ta103.asp

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:22 am

Saw it in an icas video unless i misinterpreted. Pretty sure they mentioned it was the a7075 aircraft aluminum spool. Same color and design as type r...although its pretty similar to tatula.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:14 am

Montanaro wrote:Saw it in an icas video unless i misinterpreted. Pretty sure they mentioned it was the a7075 aircraft aluminum spool. Same color and design as type r...although its pretty similar to tatula.
I've been looking for an Icast video on it but have not found one yet. As for color, I would not rely on just that since the TW Tatula as the R spo and also the Cabelas Tatula has it too and neither are red. Plus the Fuego has three different colored spool's depending on gear ratio. The link I provided makes me wonder if it is a Tatula minus the TWS or it was given a different spool dia. like the TD-Z 100m, BBS and orginal Fuego which all used a zillion sized spool.