New Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Curado 70

Post by trent_s » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:19 am

Has anyone compared to it other Shimano reels casting-wise? Specifically the E series/Scorpions

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:16 am

Bootytrain wrote:Alrighty, I got a couple of hours with the Curado 70 today, on a 6'8 MXS BFS rod rated from 1/8-3/8 with a mod fast action. I threw 4 lures, a pointer 65 weighed on my scale at 5.2 grams, a keitech fat 2.8 with a 1/16 jig head weight at 5.2 grams, a LC square bill and Jackall aska rated at 8 grams. 8lb mono. The Curado could handle the 3/16 with alot of brakes, 3 on with 6 on the dial but it wasnt as happy doing it as the Aldebaran, maybe if I went to a lighter rod. Distance was about 20-25 yards. Still had to thumb it and I got the best results with a sidearm cast instead of overhead. The LC squarebill i could go down to 2 brakes but had to still use 6 on the dial. Going from 6 to 5 on the dial resulted in backlash, so I went to 5.5 and found the sweet spot. I could hit an easy 30 yards and go thumbless on a long overhead cast. The retrieve was smooth and powerful but I wouldnt recommend it for anything super high resistance. Palming was awesome and the balance on that rod was spot on.

So about the new brakes.. the braking profile seems to be less aggressive than the previous style SVS Infinity. 2 brakes on feels like 1 brake on the old system. With some lures I could go down to 1 brake on the old system, no way on this new system. My advice is when you use the new SVS for the first time, start with the brakes maxed out, 4 shoes on and 6 on the dial. Then back them off until you find the sweet spot. Its very sensitive to the external dial and cc adjustment. I wouldnt recommend this new style brake to beginners new to bait casting. So this isnt a BFS reel by any stretch, but it will handle 1/4 and pretty easily.
Bootytrain, I think you need to give the reel time to wear in a little bit. My 200i's I had to start with 3 brakes on, I'm down to two now.
On my 70, now that I've put 12-14 hours on it, I've always used only two brakes and adjusted between 2-5 on the dial. I can tell you that the 70 loosened up on me a little after day one and two. With 3/16 and 4.5 robo, I just barley have to flick my wrist and I'm getting good distance with control.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 am

goosed wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Alrighty, I got a couple of hours with the Curado 70 today, on a 6'8 MXS BFS rod rated from 1/8-3/8 with a mod fast action. I threw 4 lures, a pointer 65 weighed on my scale at 5.2 grams, a keitech fat 2.8 with a 1/16 jig head weight at 5.2 grams, a LC square bill and Jackall aska rated at 8 grams. 8lb mono. The Curado could handle the 3/16 with alot of brakes, 3 on with 6 on the dial but it wasnt as happy doing it as the Aldebaran, maybe if I went to a lighter rod. Distance was about 20-25 yards. Still had to thumb it and I got the best results with a sidearm cast instead of overhead. The LC squarebill i could go down to 2 brakes but had to still use 6 on the dial. Going from 6 to 5 on the dial resulted in backlash, so I went to 5.5 and found the sweet spot. I could hit an easy 30 yards and go thumbless on a long overhead cast. The retrieve was smooth and powerful but I wouldnt recommend it for anything super high resistance. Palming was awesome and the balance on that rod was spot on.

So about the new brakes.. the braking profile seems to be less aggressive than the previous style SVS Infinity. 2 brakes on feels like 1 brake on the old system. With some lures I could go down to 1 brake on the old system, no way on this new system. My advice is when you use the new SVS for the first time, start with the brakes maxed out, 4 shoes on and 6 on the dial. Then back them off until you find the sweet spot. Its very sensitive to the external dial and cc adjustment. I wouldnt recommend this new style brake to beginners new to bait casting. So this isnt a BFS reel by any stretch, but it will handle 1/4 and pretty easily.
Bootytrain, I think you need to give the reel time to wear in a little bit. My 200i's I had to start with 3 brakes on, I'm down to two now.
On my 70, now that I've put 12-14 hours on it, I've always used only two brakes and adjusted between 2-5 on the dial. I can tell you that the 70 loosened up on me a little after day one and two. With 3/16 and 4.5 robo, I just barley have to flick my wrist and I'm getting good distance with control.
I agree, had the same happen with the casitas, seems like it needs a loosening up period. Also I didn't have the best quality line. I'm going to try again this weekend with some light flouro.

DelcoSol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DelcoSol » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 pm

I agree completely with Booty. I originally set mine to two brakes on and 1 on the dial and I couldnt cast at all. Turned everything all the way up and backed down slowly and all is well. The brakes are much less agressive. Just from my first day using it it really reminds me of the 50E. Very solid in hand. I prefer this over the Aldebaran. My only gripe is the newer style knobs, other than that it seems like a home run. I may pick up a few more.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:31 am

Ok I just put in about 4 hours today and about 2 hours last weekend on the Curado 70. A couple of changes I made last weekend, I spooled it up with 8lb fluoro straight from my Aldebaran, spool to spool(I have to admit I probably had it overfilled previously). And I took my thumb and wiped off what oil I could from the brake pipe. The results were much better. Last weekend I was able to throw 3/16 oz quite easily with no backlashes with 3 brakes on and about 5 on the dial. Not getting the outright distance with this weight that the Aldebaran got but very respectable considering the 15 gram spool. Today I threw mostly 3/8 oz jerkbaits, with 3 brakes on and the dial fluctuating between 2 and 3. Was getting really good distance and the backlashes disappeared. Lures used were the Zman diesel chatterbait, LC Pointer 78, Shadow Rap Shad shallow, and 3.3 inch Keitech fat on a 1/8 oz head. I quickly dialed it in to be able to throw thumbless on long overhead casts and even threw directly into a little wind with no issue.

If you look at this chart that Shimano gives on the new SVS system you can see that 2 brakes on the new system with the dial set to 1 provides almost as much braking as 1 brake on with the previous system. Turn the Dial to 6 and you get braking equivalent to about 3.5 on the old system. And my experience pretty much echoes this. I guess I should have taken the time to study the chart lol

sprogk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sprogk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 pm

I was thinking of getting this reel for frogging. Mostly 1/4 - 5/16 frogs.
So while casting light frogs the reel still needs the power to fish the slop/weeds.
Is this reel an option or should I look at something like the Excense DC?

Thanks
Sprogk