New Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Curado 70

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:16 am

mark poulson wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:
frogpond11 wrote:Looks like a fantastic reel. Though if it makes that same squealing noise on the cast that the 200i makes, I won't be owning any of them. If they fix that noise issue, I may own 5 of these.

Justin
Read the directions and you won't have the problem.
Just curious..do you think the brakes squeal because of the materials the pads are made from, or are the drums too smooth or rough? Or maybe the pads put too much pressure on the drum when they're applied, or the drum is too thin, so it vibrates.
Or is it just some kind of a weird harmonic ghost?
So many questions, so little time. :lol:
I agree... A noise on the cast is very vague. Also the new svs makes more noise in general on the cast than the previous VBS. A whirring sound on the tail end of the cast(which I've experienced) is cured by a drop of oil on the brake drum.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:28 am

I have (3) 200i 7's and (1) 200i 6. I've used them from punching to deep cranks. I purchased the i6 at the 2014 Classic. So far no noise problems with any of them.
About every 6-7 trips or sometimes a little longer I apply 1 drop of oil to the end of a Q-tip and go around the brake pipe. No noise issues here and they perform great for me.
For those that may think that every 6-7 trips is a too much/often of a head ach ... that is about how often I apply a very small amount of oil to my spool bearings and pinion bearing in all my reels. So I would be doing service anyways. This may vary for some depending on how often they fish. Around 2003 I left duck and deer hunting the winters for 100% fishing year around with the mild season we have. My gear gets used quiet a bit.

I will definitely be adding a 70 to the lineup to try out. Unless something seriously goes south. I don't anticipate the SVS being a problem with proper service.

Time will tell ...

For the record I use to be 100% Shimano. Over the last two years I've slowly introduced Daiwa into my collection.
Currently I'm setting right at 1/2 and 1/2 mix ... so the above is definitely not playing fan boy politics :lol:

Jeff

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:51 am

If the reel squeals it's one of two things
#1 it's dry
#2 bad bearing
If you put one small drop of oil on each of the spool shaft tips and one drop on one brake that is out and make a few casts this should take care of it.

If it still makes noise it's a bad bearing.

I add lube every two trips and they don't make noise.

If I use one reel all day and don't put it down - by the end of the day it will need lubed.

I use reel x

That type of hub has to be lightly lubed to work correctly.
The old style shimano brake system worked better with lube too.

The only shimano I have ever had that screamed had a bad bearing.

If you suspect that- send it to shimano and they will fix or replace your reels.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:05 am

One other thing I thought of- if you aren't filling your spool to the top with line - it will generate a much faster spool speed than the brakes are designed to work at. This could cause it to dry out faster or spin so fast- that it squeals.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:If the reel squeals it's one of two things
#1 it's dry
#2 bad bearing
If you put one small drop of oil on each of the spool shaft tips and one drop on one brake that is out and make a few casts this should take care of it.

If I use one reel all day and don't put it down - by the end of the day it will need lubed.

I use reel x

If you suspect that- send it to shimano and they will fix or replace your reels.
Yes
On all cent style brakes Ive always lightly oiled them routinely, any brand, for better performance.

Also check each brake block I have had individual blocks that made noise switched it out and noise gone

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:16 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
arrowslinger1 wrote:If the reel squeals it's one of two things
#1 it's dry
#2 bad bearing

I use reel x

Yes
On all cent style brakes Ive always lightly oiled them routinely, any brand, for better performance.

Also check each brake block I have had individual blocks that made noise switched it out and noise gone

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:34 am

I fish at least once a week and sometimes more. I throw moving baits a lot of the time.
I have used Quantum Hot Sauce in my reels since 2001+-. It is supposed to bond to the metal somehow on a molecular level.
I typically lube the bearings twice a year, just adding a drop of oil and spinning them, not flushing them out.
I grease my gears once a year.
I've fished several Shimano Chronarch MG 50 reels all this time, hard. I had Ian service all four of them last year, for the first time since I bought them in 2003.
I've also used Quantum, Pflueger, Abu, and now Lew's reels during the same time, with the same servicing and lube.
I've never had a reel howl, or a bearing go bad. This is the first year I'd even heard about oiling the brake drum.
Even when I had a Quantum EXO get jambed up under my TM, and bent the handle when I had to stand on the TM to get it to disengage so I could deploy it, the reel didn't make noise.
If I bought a new reel that made noise right out of the box I'd send it back. There is a problem with it somewhere.
Either it has a bad part, or is a bad design.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Having the same issue with the squeeling which is so annoying I went into Shimano Irvine and what the techs told me was that they have had issues with that same noise from many customers . My reel was the chronarch ci4+ and the squeeling was off and on , I turned all the brakes off and it was gone . Turned any amount of the brakes back on and sure enough it came back . Story short, he said to put light grease on the brake tabs that I am using and it will stop . I looked at him and said that will slow the spool down for sure . Sure enough I tried it and it worked perfectly , never came back till this day .... Hope this helps fellas.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:Having the same issue with the squeeling which is so annoying I went into Shimano Irvine and what the techs told me was that they have had issues with that same noise from many customers . My reel was the chronarch ci4+ and the squeeling was off and on , I turned all the brakes off and it was gone . Turned any amount of the brakes back on and sure enough it came back . Story short, he said to put light grease on the brake tabs that I am using and it will stop . I looked at him and said that will slow the spool down for sure . Sure enough I tried it and it worked perfectly , never came back till this day .... Hope this helps fellas.
i guess this is y so many pop up for sale on bbc. for me at least, given my time restraints, i'd like to minimize the amount of times i'd have to lube, grease, or clean my reels so i hope they fix this problem. too many good reels on the market these days to have to deal with this issue

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Agreed , that's why I got rid of that reel regardless of it being fixed . No problems with any other highend shimanos I have .

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:Agreed , that's why I got rid of that reel regardless of it being fixed . No problems with any other highend shimanos I have .
Nor should there be.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:29 am

all these issues with the news SVS reels make me wonder if I should get a classic style Calcutta 200GTB (the souped up model of the B series) for my new E6X mag bass rod. Calcuttas still have the older VBS system.

seems to me the new breaking design either has lots of issues or is very high maintainence. dont want my new curado to be a pain in the ass

my chronarch 101A I used to have with the VBS system could be lubed once a season and never gave me issues..

I am considering a curado 200i but all this talk has me reconsidering. would like to stick with shimano if possible. always been a shimano loomis guy lol

-Hulk

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:26 am

Hulkster wrote:all these issues with the news SVS reels make me wonder if I should get a classic style Calcutta 200GTB (the souped up model of the B series) for my new E6X mag bass rod. Calcuttas still have the older VBS system.

seems to me the new breaking design either has lots of issues or is very high maintainence. dont want my new curado to be a pain in the ass

my chronarch 101A I used to have with the VBS system could be lubed once a season and never gave me issues..

I am considering a curado 200i but all this talk has me reconsidering. would like to stick with shimano if possible. always been a shimano loomis guy lol

-Hulk
Why don't you get first hand experience first. The new style SVS has been an overwhelming success but of course there are going to be a few isolated isues which affect every reel no matter the manufacturer.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:54 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Hulkster wrote:all these issues with the news SVS reels make me wonder if I should get a classic style Calcutta 200GTB (the souped up model of the B series) for my new E6X mag bass rod. Calcuttas still have the older VBS system.

-Hulk
Why don't you get first hand experience first. The new style SVS has been an overwhelming success but of course there are going to be a few isolated isues which affect every reel no matter the manufacturer.
If a new Curado 70 howls, will Shimano replace it?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:19 am

mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

-Hulk
If a new Curado 70 howls, will Shimano replace it?
I'm not understanding the question? Or is this some attempt to be clever?