New Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: New Curado 70

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:21 am

Bootytrain wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Hulkster wrote:all these issues with the news SVS reels make me wonder if I should get a classic style Calcutta 200GTB (the souped up model of the B series) for my new E6X mag bass rod. Calcuttas still have the older VBS system.

seems to me the new breaking design either has lots of issues or is very high maintainence. dont want my new curado to be a pain in the ass

my chronarch 101A I used to have with the VBS system could be lubed once a season and never gave me issues..

I am considering a curado 200i but all this talk has me reconsidering. would like to stick with shimano if possible. always been a shimano loomis guy lol

-Hulk
Why don't you get first hand experience first. The new style SVS has been an overwhelming success but of course there are going to be a few isolated isues which affect every reel no matter the manufacturer.
If a new Curado 70 howls, will Shimano replace it?
I'm not understanding the question? Or is this some attempt to be clever?
It's just as it reads. Will Shimano replace a new reel if it howls right out of the box?

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:53 am

mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Hulkster wrote:all these issues with the news SVS reels make me wonder if I should get a classic style Calcutta 200GTB (the souped up model of the B series) for my new E6X mag bass rod. Calcuttas still have the older VBS system.

seems to me the new breaking design either has lots of issues or is very high maintainence. dont want my new curado to be a pain in the ass

my chronarch 101A I used to have with the VBS system could be lubed once a season and never gave me issues..

I am considering a curado 200i but all this talk has me reconsidering. would like to stick with shimano if possible. always been a shimano loomis guy lol

-Hulk
Why don't you get first hand experience first. The new style SVS has been an overwhelming success but of course there are going to be a few isolated isues which affect every reel no matter the manufacturer.
How are we supposed to know? Why don't you contact Shimano and ask them? This sounds like the same jab type question you were throwing Daiwa's way over the t wing grooving claims.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:52 am

mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

-Hulk
I'm not understanding the question? Or is this some attempt to be clever?
It's just as it reads. Will Shimano replace a new reel if it howls right out of the box?
I suppose if it makes a sound that shimano thinks is out of the ordinary that can't be fixed with a simple oiling.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:37 am

joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

-Hulk
How are we supposed to know? Why don't you contact Shimano and ask them? This sounds like the same jab type question you were throwing Daiwa's way over the t wing grooving claims.
I'm just surprised that Shimano would send out a reel that makes noise, right out of the box. I've owned Shimano reels over the years, and have never had this be a problem. I've fished four Chronarch MG50's for almost 15 years, and have never had any noise come from them, except when a fish pulls drag and it "sings", which is music to my ears.
Daiwa dug their own hole. They let the grooving issue go unanswered long enough that it became a topic for discussion, instead of acknowledging the problem and dealing with it immediately. If it weren't a problem, why did they redesign the T wing?
Maybe I'm spoiled, but I don't expect to have lube any reel right out of the box, even though I do oil the bearings and grease the gears when I first get them. To me, that's just preventive maintenance.
But having to grease/oil the brake drum immediately, and often, or they'll make noise, doesn't seem reasonable for what the reels cost.
I've praised both Daiwa and Shimano a lot, because they make great fishing equipment.
I don't think discussing a problem with either of their products is out of line. That's what forums are for.
If you feel I've taken "jabs" at Daiwa or Shimano, you're entitled to your own opinion.
So am I.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:10 am

For me, running unshielded ceramic hybrids, I like to oil my bearings every 3-4 trips anyways, so it's not a big deal to add a dab to the brake drum while I am at it. Though I do understand why, to the masses this is unappealing.
I know I make a lot of comparisons to the car industry, but for me, this is kind of like the difference between mass market commuter cars and performance oriented cars. Wear items are made for longevity and low maintenance on commuter cars. Performance is ultimately compromised, not beyond safe levels, but definitely far short of maximizing performance.
Where reels are at now, for me, is likely nearly as good as they are going to get, and further gains are often going to come at the expense of low maintenance and longevity of parts - ie. Composites favoured over metals for lightness, but giving up rigidity and longevity. The brake system Shimano uses now could be thought of in the same way. In order to improve on the trusty, bullet proof and worry free system they used, low maintenance was compromised in order to boost total potential performance. THAT is not for everyone, no doubt. The brakes on my Mitsu Evolution absolutely suck from a longevity and cost benefit analysis, but damn do they stop my car fast...
As time goes on, they may find better ways to deliver that performance that are lower maintenance. I suppose the question remains to be answered though - do the masses want a Corrola or a Supra?
And is Shimano aiming to supply the masses with a commuter car? Or a performance machine?

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:05 am

mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

-Hulk
I'm just surprised that Shimano would send out a reel that makes noise, right out of the box. I've owned Shimano reels over the years, and have never had this be a problem. I've fished four Chronarch MG50's for almost 15 years, and have never had any noise come from them, except when a fish pulls drag and it "sings", which is music to my ears.
Daiwa dug their own hole. They let the grooving issue go unanswered long enough that it became a topic for discussion, instead of acknowledging the problem and dealing with it immediately. If it weren't a problem, why did they redesign the T wing?
Maybe I'm spoiled, but I don't expect to have lube any reel right out of the box, even though I do oil the bearings and grease the gears when I first get them. To me, that's just preventive maintenance.
But having to grease/oil the brake drum immediately, and often, or they'll make noise, doesn't seem reasonable for what the reels cost.
I've praised both Daiwa and Shimano a lot, because they make great fishing equipment.
I don't think discussing a problem with either of their products is out of line. That's what forums are for.
If you feel I've taken "jabs" at Daiwa or Shimano, you're entitled to your own opinion.
So am I.
Mark, right on. Nicely put. I agree with you 100% on both issues, and having owned both Curados, and grooved out 5 twings, I'm with you and I see what your saying about Daiwa not addressing the concerns, or may we better just say, about Daiwa LYING their asses off over it then for some reason redesigning it all together. Like you I still love Shimano, and Daiwa but I'm no ass kisser so I'll call a spade a spade. I never owned a reel I had to add oil to during my fishing day, every f'in day like I did the redesigned Shimano Curados! When I started fishing those I had to keep oil in my pack at all times! Whats with that?!?! Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on the new SV DAiwa redesigned zillion, the new "zillion twing", and the Curado 70. I beat my reels up, and it doesn't take me long to find flaws in a design when I'm catching over 60 bass a day, 3 days a week. Anyhow I'll step aside and let the thread roll on......

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:26 am

All this noise is simple in my mind:
SVS is higher performance and higher maintenance than the older VBS. I really don't understand all the fuss though because it takes less than 45 seconds to do the 'maintenance' suggested in the owner's manual of these reels. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJIqAk9gKiE
This video does it in 90 seconds while talking! zomg...

Its funny to me that the 'noise' that has everyone complaining does not seem to have any correlation to performance. But, if noise is bad then I guess we have justification for never using ceramic bearings or straight cut gears.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:06 pm

mark poulson wrote:
joekaz wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:

-Hulk
So am I.
The problem I had with your Daiwa statements were that you were adamant that Daiwa issue some sort of recall. The issue is not wide spread enough to warrant this. Did Quantum send out a recall when some of there Exo's wobbled because of
loose rivets in the reel foot?
The problem I have with your Curado 70 statement is that you think Shimano should replace the reel if it howls on the cast. Every reel that has SVS brakes comes with a yellow instruction manual on how to oil the brakes if the brakes make noise. If the costumer fails to read this or ignore Shimano's advice should Shimano replace that reel? If I flush the bearings in my reel and decide not to relube them should Shimano replace that reel? I only have to oil my Citica I once in a while and I do that when I oil the bearings and the spool shaft ends. If somebody feels like it is too hard to do this then quit bitchin and move on to a different brand. To me it is worth it to oil the brakes on the new Shimano's because they cast into the wind a lot better then my older VBS reels.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Noise what noise? I didn't hear any noise... :whistle:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 am

" The problem I had with your Daiwa statements were that you were adamant that Daiwa issue some sort of recall. The issue is not wide spread enough to warrant this. Did Quantum send out a recall when some of there Exo's wobbled because of
loose rivets in the reel foot?
The problem I have with your Curado 70 statement is that you think Shimano should replace the reel if it howls on the cast. Every reel that has SVS brakes comes with a yellow instruction manual on how to oil the brakes if the brakes make noise. If the costumer fails to read this or ignore Shimano's advice should Shimano replace that reel? If I flush the bearings in my reel and decide not to relube them should Shimano replace that reel? I only have to oil my Citica I once in a while and I do that when I oil the bearings and the spool shaft ends. If somebody feels like it is too hard to do this then quit bitchin and move on to a different brand. To me it is worth it to oil the brakes on the new Shimano's because they cast into the wind a lot better then my older VBS reels.[/quote]

Look, I am sure that the reps. of the various reel manufs. monitor this, and other, online reel forums, so I think what is posted here is valuable feedback for them, both on reel performance and customer service.
I ran my own company for 35 years, and I was always grateful for feedback, because I wanted us to do the best job we could as a company.
Anytime I have had a problem with a new reel, I've sent it back and it was replaced.
I've done that a few times, but it has not been a major issue for me with any of the major manufs.
I did not buy a T wing reel, but my fishing partner did, and she hasn't had grooving, so I haven't seen the grooving first hand.
But lots of others have had grooving, and posted their stories and pictures here, so I was surprised and disappointed how Daiwa never publicly responded.
But they did redesign the T wing, so they knew it was a problem.
I never had an EXO with a loose rivet, but I did have a different problem with one, and it was replaced.
And I've posted questions about intermittent problems with one of their reels, to see if others have had the same experience and have found a solution.
If Shimano's SVS braking system makes noise and needs constant lubrication, and I had bought one and found that it made noise after a short time of fishing, I would have sent it back.
Nowhere in any of their advertisements did they mention that there new braking system required more maintenance, but that it was worth it. Hell, they could have touted it as a proprietary design that was a major breakthrough and improvement in braking, and let people make a choice about whether or not to give it a try. I'm sure lots of people would have.
But I don't think it's right to wait to mention the need for constant brake drum lubrication until your read the instructions that come with the reel, so you have to buy it to find out for yourself.
Fair is fair, and that isn't fair.
I don't buy reels to service, I buy them to fish, and Shimano has never had trouble making reels like that up to now.
I'm not interested in debating this, or being right. I just want reels that work.
I think we have to agree to disagree about this and move on.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:50 am

Mark, My point is that I don't feel a company should be obligated to replace the whole reel when a simple part can be fixed. In fact one time I sent in a reel to be fixed and they shipped back a new one. I was happy at first but then realized the new reel was not as smooth as the original one. So you never know. In most cases the SVS braking system was not defective, the brake drum just ran out of oil, just like a bearing would. Should Shimano keep replacing somebody's reel over and over again because they failed to add a drop of oil once in awhile? It's very simple, either do the maintenance, or sell the reel and move on. To me the SVS system works better then the VBS system so the extra maintenance is well worth it. I can see how this new step is not for everybody. I have some friends that have owned reels for years and have never added a drop oil to anything. Of course they can't cast as far as me either. Maybe Shimano will make some changes to the brake system to make them more user friendly in the near future, but I am content if they don't. O k, I will shut up now. I agree to disagree with you. No hard feelings.
Last edited by joekaz on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:40 am

I keep clicking on the topic hoping to learn something about the Curado 70.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:36 am

bemo wrote:I keep clicking on the topic hoping to learn something about the Curado 70.
Attachments
gladiator.jpg
gladiator.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 6324 times

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:37 am

bemo wrote:I keep clicking on the topic hoping to learn something about the Curado 70.
I apologize for my role in getting this topic off track.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:58 am

and you are. you are learning about the SVS brake system and required maintainence that is a main feature of the curado 70 8-)

having said that, i am going to give these new curados a try. putting a drop of lube on my reel is no big deal if the SVS system works as well as everyone says it does. the reviews are mostly glowing.