Tatula or Lew's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tatula or Lew's

Post by zelmo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:56 am

I don't own a Tatula or any Lew's so I have no basis for comparison. I want either a Tatula Tactical or Lew's Team Pro Speed Spool, and with the current sale prices the Lew's is only $15 more than the Tatula. I will be using it to throw 1/2 to 3/4 oz crankbaits.

Help me decide which one to get. Thanks.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tatula or Lew's

Post by 665 almostevil » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Tatula has a couple of spool options to maximize casting.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 pm

I have a Tatula and Team Lews Pro. If I had to sell one of the two, it would definitely be the Tatula. I have larger than average hands and the Tatula is not easy to palm. Casting difference between the two is negligible and I have had zero problems with either reel. Performance wise, I would have a hard time making a decision, but comfort wise, the Lews beats the Tatula easily, for me.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 pm

Hands down easy decision: lews.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am

I own 2 Tournament MBs and a LFS Speed Spool, and I have nothing to complain about any of them.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

line comes off of the tatula easier than the lew's. lew's is easier to palm & lighter. all my lew's (tourney pro, bb1 pro, tourney lite) have a little more play in the handle than my tatulas.

if i had to choose, i'd prob pick lew's but daiwa's coming out with a new zillion sv tw that has my attention.

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am

Lew's. Love my Team Pro Z, the way it palms and how light it is 6 oz~. The Tatula, with line spooled on, is over 8 oz. For me, once I started fishing super light reels I just don't want to go back to anything heavier. Check out the Tournament Lite too, that's only 5.8 oz, casts light lures down to 1/8 superbly and bombs 1/2 oz+ lures out of this planet.

Any reels $200 and below I'll stick to Lew's, but once you get up to that $300+ range then the best reels are JDM Daiwa/Shimano. Just my opinion.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:07 am

ibobpeb wrote:Lew's. Love my Team Pro Z, the way it palms and how light it is 6 oz~. The Tatula, with line spooled on, is over 8 oz. For me, once I started fishing super light reels I just don't want to go back to anything heavier. Check out the Tournament Lite too, that's only 5.8 oz, casts light lures down to 1/8 superbly and bombs 1/2 oz+ lures out of this planet.

Any reels $200 and below I'll stick to Lew's, but once you get up to that $300+ range then the best reels are JDM Daiwa/Shimano. Just my opinion.
add all this to my commets. i 2nd that lew's make the best reels under $200 and i chose lew's over tat for the same reasons as above.

i'm hoping the zillion tw sv will give me the best of all worlds (6.9oz, smaller profile, tws, & sv)

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:15 am

I have 4 Lews Lites and 3 Tatulas...if that tells you how close it is for me. Haha. I'd go with the Lews between the two but it's not a very wide gap at all between them. The pluses for the Lews Lite are the palmability, low weight, and solid casting/pitching performance. Where the Tatula shines is in casting applications for me..it has an edge on the Lews as far as casting distance. If you can deal with the added weight/bulk of the Tatula, then you'll love the casting performance that you get to go along with it. But still, if I had to choose between them, there's more in favor of the Lews reels for me.

Justin