Baitcaster for light lures

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Baitcaster for light lures

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:35 am

Not sure if you are still looking at the t3 ballistic.
Rather pick up a MX,it is vastly superior.Just my 2c

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:36 am

Rich Frye wrote:
mark poulson wrote:What is the difference between the clear and the red brake blocks?
Red are heavier than white, green heavier yet .
Thanks.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Just Arrived: T3 1016 w/hedgehog air bfs bearings, SV1012 spool in Black/gunmetalish and reel treatment goodies Image

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

Congratulations. Be sure to let us know how it works out. I've got a few of the T3 reels, but none with any improvements other than better bearings in a couple. Looking forward to a review.

Reading through this thread has be scratching my head. The Alphas SV is well thought of by everyone. Yet I am very disappointed with mine. Poor distance. Backlashes. Heck, my $33.33 Abu Black Max 1600C gets better distance, casts lighter lures and will throw directly into the wind without backlashing as long as I don't try a bomb. Ian is going to get my SV when I have some spare funds. I like the looks of the reel. I like its ergonomics. Just don't like the way it casts. My Primmus will cast rings around it (as will most of my reels for that matter).

Nope. I am not a Diawa hater. About half my reels are Daiwas and several are among my favorites.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 am

mark poulson wrote:What is the difference between the clear and the red brake blocks?

BNT3048 Smoke/Clear weighs .012 grams
BNT1715 Red - weighs .017 grams

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 am

new2BC4bass wrote:Congratulations. Be sure to let us know how it works out. I've got a few of the T3 reels, but none with any improvements other than better bearings in a couple. Looking forward to a review.

Reading through this thread has be scratching my head. The Alphas SV is well thought of by everyone. Yet I am very disappointed with mine. Poor distance. Backlashes. Heck, my $33.33 Abu Black Max 1600C gets better distance, casts lighter lures and will throw directly into the wind without backlashing as long as I don't try a bomb. Ian is going to get my SV when I have some spare funds. I like the looks of the reel. I like its ergonomics. Just don't like the way it casts. My Primmus will cast rings around it (as will most of my reels for that matter).

Nope. I am not a Diawa hater. About half my reels are Daiwas and several are among my favorites.
Well you have to realize that one mans long bomber is another mans average caster.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:05 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:Congratulations. Be sure to let us know how it works out. I've got a few of the T3 reels, but none with any improvements other than better bearings in a couple. Looking forward to a review.

After casting this and catching a couple of Yellowfin Bream, I realised that this reel was made for finesse... I could lightly swing my wrist with a 4.3g SX40 and it would go like 20m... its a casting machine https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56E2B88B

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:58 am

I have to agree with Bootytrain. One mans "cup of tea" might be "bilge water " to others. Depends on what you have been using.

I jumped on the Daiwa SV train, called best bang for the buck. It IS a nice reel but nothing really special to me. My Curado stock 50 E and cheaper Scorpion XT 1000 both are better in ALL ways. In fact, I've decided to relegate it to " brother can use it" status. Merely a "Meh!"
I suppose I'm jaded. Ordered the 16 Scorpion 70 just to see.
That little Primmus I got for $75 actually casts as well as the ones I mentioned. I don't expect the reel to hold up to hard use however.
The Alpha Ito Ai is a super in all respects, had one and loved it. The 2 13 Mets I have are best all around and the Exsence is a fun DC workhorse as is a 100 Conquest DC. PLAIN FUN.
I have a T3 that is nice but seems flimsy. On the other hand my Megabass FX73SV Feels solid and smoother. The Zonda 10 R is an effortless caster as is a Megabass IP73c.
Once you fly in "rarified" air you tend to become more demanding and discriminatory in your choices.
I never thought I'd get to this point. But now I have those reels that I LOVE! Not just whatever will do. Had a lot of that in my youth. Age has refined my tastes.

I no longer drink the "House Wine".

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:07 am

Silas wrote:I have to agree with Bootytrain. One mans "cup of tea" might be "bilge water " to others. Depends on what you have been using.

I jumped on the Daiwa SV train, called best bang for the buck. It IS a nice reel but nothing really special to me. My Curado stock 50 E and cheaper Scorpion XT 1000 both are better in ALL ways. In fact, I've decided to relegate it to " brother can use it" status. Merely a "Meh!"
I suppose I'm jaded. Ordered the 16 Scorpion 70 just to see.
That little Primmus I got for $75 actually casts as well as the ones I mentioned. I don't expect the reel to hold up to hard use however.
The Alpha Ito Ai is a super in all respects, had one and loved it. The 2 13 Mets I have are best all around and the Exsence is a fun DC workhorse as is a 100 Conquest DC. PLAIN FUN.
I have a T3 that is nice but seems flimsy. On the other hand my Megabass FX73SV Feels solid and smoother. The Zonda 10 R is an effortless caster as is a Megabass IP73c.
Once you fly in "rarified" air you tend to become more demanding and discriminatory in your choices.
I never thought I'd get to this point. But now I have those reels that I LOVE! Not just whatever will do. Had a lot of that in my youth. Age has refined my tastes.

I no longer drink the "House Wine".
Did you get your scorpion yet?

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:14 am

Japan Tackle will let me know when they send it. Pre order at $189.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:23 am

Silas wrote:Japan Tackle will let me know when they send it. Pre order at $189.
You may want to read my mini review on the curado 70 and it's brakes in the curado 70 thread before you spool it up and go fishing.