New Steez TWS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Steez TWS

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

It is official, the 2016 Steez will feature the TWS and will be a worldwide launch. U.S. pros have already been testing/using it. Guess I will be stocking up on the originals and SS versions. Looks like it sits higher and based on the video (around the 2:23 mark) it has the front end flared out accommodate the TWS and it also appears to be taller than the previous model. One interesting note is that Daiwa said it could not improve on the original Steez and that dropping too much weight could lead to less rigid reel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ovj08mUcq ... e=youtu.be

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... _OAWYBem4w

DirtydeucegooseUSMC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Steez TWS

Post by DirtydeucegooseUSMC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:19 pm

So they actually did try to fix what wasn't broken, even in their own opinion. Interesting.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Mixed emotions about this one, looks really nice, but I'm not sure I'd stray away from the OG Steez just yet.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:41 pm

DirtydeucegooseUSMC wrote:So they actually did try to fix what wasn't broken, even in their own opinion. Interesting.
Yeah I noticed that too.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:46 pm

389Maverick wrote:Mixed emotions about this one, looks really nice, but I'm not sure I'd stray away from the OG Steez just yet.
It looks, not sure nice was the first thing that popped into my mind. It appears taller and has the TWS front end bulge that some have had complaints about. But they did say they narrowed the rear end (which would increase the bulge effect by pushing the upper part of your palm out while bringing in the bottom of the palm). Also not sure how I feel about a 4pc frame/sideplate setup (magnisum frame, aluminum drive sideplate, inner brake housing and outer palming plate).

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 pm

JWR075 wrote:
389Maverick wrote:Mixed emotions about this one, looks really nice, but I'm not sure I'd stray away from the OG Steez just yet.
It looks, not sure nice was the first thing that popped into my mind. It appears taller and has the TWS front end bulge that some have had complaints about. But they did say they narrowed the rear end (which would increase the bulge effect by pushing the upper part of your palm out while bringing in the bottom of the palm). Also not sure how I feel about a 4pc frame/sideplate setup (magnisum frame, aluminum drive sideplate, inner brake housing and outer palming plate).
The overall shape, more precisely the front end, will definitely be a deciding factor with this reel.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm

389Maverick wrote:
JWR075 wrote:
The overall shape, more precisely the front end, will definitely be a deciding factor with this reel.
looking at the pics it appears the wide front end did not vanish on this reel.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:31 pm

It's funny how the new knobs and end caps look very similar to Shimano's latest knobs.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:49 pm

joekaz wrote:It's funny how the new knobs and end caps look very similar to Shimano's latest knobs.
Look at the new Kronos (Cronos) rods, it looks like they bought the reel seats straight from Shimano.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... -4MdxXUPgw

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:02 pm

I am beginning to really resent Daiwa. They seem to have someone running the ship that has no love for the past. They are getting away from what made me switch in the first place. The lineup is confusing as hell and all starting to run together.

This new Steez as of right now, looks like an abomination. If they want me to go back to Shimano, they should have just asked.

That Cronos Rod is the perfect example of how confused Daiwa is. The Rod is a direct shimano copy and has no call to the Daiwa I fell in love with. Perhaps I am being a bit dramatic, but it sad to see them fumble product after
product.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm

The only good thing I see about the new Steez is it is listed as SW safe now.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:28 am

Well, I'll reserve my final judgement until I can actually hold one and test it out, but for now, I'm glad I'm stocked up on TDZs and other older Daiwas.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:10 am

pharmboy2010 wrote: Well, I'll reserve my final judgement until I can actually hold one and test it out ...
This ^^^ x2 !

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 am

jpd0144 wrote:
pharmboy2010 wrote: Well, I'll reserve my final judgement until I can actually hold one and test it out ...
This ^^^ x2 !
So technically, you're thinking of a USDM release?

Evintos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Evintos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 am