Daiwa SV103

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa SV103

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:55 am

If anyone has the SV103 in 7.9:1 gear ratio could you send me a pm? I've got some questions to ask if you wouldn't mind answering some. Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:57 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:If anyone has the SV103 in 7.9:1 gear ratio could you send me a pm? I've got some questions to ask if you wouldn't mind answering some. Thanks
I'll try to help, PM sent...

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a JDM model of the SV103? I got to know about the OG Zillions a bit too late, and I was looking for a J-Dream until I found the SV103. How does this reel compare to the J-Dream btw?

Thanks in advance.

bullant
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bullant » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:47 pm

X2 would like to know how the j dream compares to the sv103

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:20 am

Anybody find out if the HH parts for a TD Zillion will work for the SV103? I dont see HH added the SV103 to their parts availability, but they did add the Steez and Zillion SV TWS reels. :?:

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:04 am

I don't think the SV103 is offered in Japan. Even though it's made in Japan, it is a USDM reel.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:31 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody find out if the HH parts for a TD Zillion will work for the SV103? I dont see HH added the SV103 to their parts availability, but they did add the Steez and Zillion SV TWS reels. :?:
Everything will fit but the cast control cap. Level wind bar and level wind cap are standard fit for most Daiwa reels. Screw set fits, and obviously the handle nut and retainer work. The brake dial screw as well. All the parts are the same for the Tdz as well.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:36 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Anybody find out if the HH parts for a TD Zillion will work for the SV103? I dont see HH added the SV103 to their parts availability, but they did add the Steez and Zillion SV TWS reels. :?:
Everything will fit but the cast control cap. Level wind bar and level wind cap are standard fit for most Daiwa reels. Screw set fits, and obviously the handle nut and retainer work. The brake dial screw as well. All the parts are the same for the Tdz as well.
Perfect! Thank you.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:54 am

Ok, so I decided to sell the MetaniumDC in favor to get the SV103. My friend wanted it, and I told him he can pay me in installments :lol: . Anyway, the TD SV is gonna work out better on the custom rod for my application of lighter baits. Any updates on satisfaction of the reel? Hows everyone doing with them so far. Im an addict for the TD Zillions. :mrgreen:

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:23 am

I will have one thursday i will let you know how i like it

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:17 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Ok, so I decided to sell the MetaniumDC in favor to get the SV103. My friend wanted it, and I told him he can pay me in installments :lol: . Anyway, the TD SV is gonna work out better on the custom rod for my application of lighter baits. Any updates on satisfaction of the reel? Hows everyone doing with them so far. Im an addict for the TD Zillions. :mrgreen:
I am so glad i picked one up earlier this year. So far I am very impressed with it - that SV spool rocks and once dialed in is difficult to backlash. Overall, very easy reel to dial in and keep under control as expected. The non-clicking CC knob doesn't bother me at all and feels smooth. I have been using it mostly for pitching/flipping and have nothing but good things to say about it. This thing is a winner and will definitely be buying a couple more.

I think a shootout is in order between the SV 103 and the J dream. :big grin:

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 am

jpmoney wrote:
I think a shootout is in order between the SV 103 and the J dream.
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts too between the SV103 and Jdream. I suspect the Jdream wins when casting distance is preferred while the SV103 makes for easier flipping

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:31 am

Jdmbassman wrote:
jpmoney wrote:
I think a shootout is in order between the SV 103 and the J dream.
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts too between the SV103 and Jdream. I suspect the Jdream wins when casting distance is preferred while the SV103 makes for easier flipping
J Dream is just soo purdy though. How can you compete with that?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:11 am

I have it from a reliable source that the stock SV103 is a good caster. So that means the Jdream and SV103 are in direct competition.

It would have to be tuned to be optimum for flipping. I must say that my Jdream 6.3's with OG corks and 7.9's with red RCS do look rather nice.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 pm

I have both reels, fished them both extensively at this point in time. I have multiple SV103's now I like them so much after moving out many of my original Zillion models. I've been a fan of the original Zillion and TDZ for a very long time, so the frame is a great fit for me. The fact that the SV103 can accept all the TDZ/Steez/IS spools is a huge bonus, but out of the box, the reel doesn't need anything. It's an extremely impressive reel all the way around. It's solid, well built, very smooth, powerful, and it just feels great to fish. The J-Dream is a very nice reel indeed, but side by side, I'd take an SV103 given the choice of either. I don't plan on selling my J-Dream either because I'm a tackle junkie and it's a great reel, but I did move out the remaining original Zillions (except for a few limited models of course :D ).

In terms of performance, they're both outstanding of course. Casting distance alone, the J-Dream may hold a slight edge, but it's ever so slight and not something that is clearly obvious. I'm not interested in going to a football field for "scientific" testing on the matter however :lol: The SV103 has more control and is more user friendly. It doesn't need to be tuned to do anything out of the box, but it's very tuning and tinkering friendly without a doubt.

If you guys are in the market for one, it's worth your time to get in touch about pricing, The Tackle Trap is competitive with anyone out there and has them all in stock. PM me anytime or email thetackletrap@gmail.com Dusty, let us know how you like yours and LgMouth, congrats on the sale... now the SV103 is in your future \:D/