Help: New T3 from Japan

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help: New T3 from Japan

Post by aquaholik » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:26 am

I've read about the grooving issue and thought Daiwa fixed it by adding a metal plate to the front lip. Mine did come with a plate but they also send in another plate that has very weak glue and a plastic piece. I can't read Japanese but maybe some of you guys have installed this "FIX". I removed the piece of plastic since I can't see it being there for long term use:

At first I installed the plastic:

Then the TWS metal piece on top:

I laid the rod and reel down and 15 minutes later, the TWS plate shifted out of place. The glue is very weak on the clear plastic line guard. So I removed it and just installed the TWS plate. Glue doesn't feel strong enough to stand up to long term salt use. It'll probably fly out. I take it this TWS plate is to guard against grooving the T-Wing itself?

I wondered why they just don't install this at the factory if this is indeed a fix for the groove in the T-Wing. Right now it just sticks on there with very weak adhesive. To say this fix is very unprofessional on Daiwa part would be an understatement.

Any one seen or experience this fix.

Price was hard to beat, $144 shipped.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help: New T3 from Japan

Post by aquaholik » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 am

The front already has the metal plate there:

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 am

Well at least it came pre-installed on the FX68. Daiwa can't even be bothered for installing something this importantImage

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 am

I just noticed my T3 SV started to groove.
Does anyone know there I can buy that metal plate separately or at least a part number?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:53 am

I have some stronger spray adhesive. I'm going to remove it and use that adhesive instead.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:29 pm

I use a bit of contact adhesive on both surfaces.Dump that piece of plastic,its only there to help you apply the metal piece :D
Personally I only installed the plates because they have SLP Works printed on them :lol:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Cracker wrote:I just noticed my T3 SV started to groove.
Does anyone know there I can buy that metal plate separately or at least a part number?
Contact Daiwa,they will send you one for no charge.
The original 1016 had no plate,it was added in the box after the first few months.
The Air and SV had a design change to the frame.A small metal 'friction bar' was added infront of the contact zone,hence no metal adhesive plate.
The later MX and FX resorted to the original design,no bar.They come with pre installed friction plates.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

africanbass wrote:
The original 1016 had no plate,it was added in the box after the first few months.
The Air and SV had a design change to the frame.A small metal 'friction bar' was added infront of the contact zone,hence no metal adhesive plate.
The later MX and FX resorted to the original design,no bar.They come with pre installed friction plates.
Thank you for your reply!
I just noticed - my T3 SV has that bar, however it didn't fully prevent the grooving of the T-Wing. I mostly used that reel with PP 20lb.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Hmm, sad to read this, I have a T3 SV on the way from PLAT.
Is there anything I can do to prevent grooving?
Should I use mono instead of braid?
Cheers Michael

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Hmm, sad to read this, I have a T3 SV on the way from PLAT.
Cheers Michael
Simply ask daiwa to send you a friction plate(they usually wont charge anything)
If you dont win,I should still have a couple in my box of goodies.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:07 pm

africanbass wrote:I use a bit of contact adhesive on both surfaces.Dump that piece of plastic,its only there to help you apply the metal piece :D
Personally I only installed the plates because they have SLP Works printed on them :lol:
Thank you. I figured the plastic piece was use to remove dust and speck before applying the metal plate.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Cracker wrote:
africanbass wrote:
I just noticed - my T3 SV has that bar, however it didn't fully prevent the grooving of the T-Wing. I mostly used that reel with PP 20lb.
I thought that plate was meant to prevent grooving of the Zaion frame in that location. I don't see how it would protect the TWing. Where does the twing groove in a T3 reel?

DaveJ

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:11 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Cracker wrote:
africanbass wrote:
I thought that plate was meant to prevent grooving of the Zaion frame in that location. I don't see how it would protect the TWing. Where does the twing groove in a T3 reel?

DaveJ
Yeah,it's for the frame
No issues what so ever with the T3 T-wing

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:06 am

Dalleinf wrote:Hmm, sad to read this, I have a T3 SV on the way from PLAT.
Cheers Michael
I heard mono/fluorocarbon never been an issue for a T-Wing.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote: I thought that plate was meant to prevent grooving of the Zaion frame in that location. I don't see how it would protect the TWing. Where does the twing groove in a T3 reel?
DaveJ
I have to disassemble the reel in order to shot a good picture.
Right now I can see the T-Wing lost some coating in the slot.
Actually I'll try to take some pics later.