new Tatula CT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: new Tatula CT

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:New video up.

https://youtu.be/Xbd08jRUpwI

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think they mentioned the handle side plate material.

DaveJ
Im thinking a composite side plate may be used in the Fuegos case at least for some pricing off set against the OG Tat ... along with the T wing system cost.

I sure they perform great either way I'm just curious on the CT what direction they took to save ...

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

goblue wrote: Another really cool thing in the video is they note they are using a smaller spool for this rendition.
Agreed, I wasn't expecting that.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:40 am

389Maverick wrote:
goblue wrote: Another really cool thing in the video is they note they are using a smaller spool for this rendition.
Agreed, I wasn't expecting that.
Line cap on TW puts them really close or the same. Will be interesting to see the actual numbers.
I'm happy with the 4 Tat variants I own now. Either way I'm sure they won't disappoint.
Will be adding a couple regardless ... Especially at their price points.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 am

Why on earth they didn't give these a shallower spool is beyond me. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket or JDM version like the standard size reels.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:40 am

goblue wrote:
389Maverick wrote:Just saying...

Thanks man... Telling screenshot there. from that perspective it does look significantly narrower. Another really cool thing in the video is they note they are using a smaller spool for this rendition.

This is one instance where I'm really glad I was wrong. Reel should be arriving today and I'm pretty pumped.
Post some pics when you get it. Preferably next to other offerings. I still can't get a gauge on these reels. There was a pick next to a Curado 200E and they looked nearly the same in dimensions. Then Mav posted some pics of it in his what he calls small hands and it looks tiny. Maybe it's the length from front to back that's hanging me up?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Why on earth they didn't give these a shallower spool is beyond me. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket or JDM version like the standard size reels.
And hopefully it doesn't get listed at a much higher price simply for the shallower spool like they did with the 103 Tatula...

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:51 am

MediumHeavy wrote:Why on earth they didn't give these a shallower spool is beyond me. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket or JDM version like the standard size reels.
Because these are Reels designed for American bass fishermen. BFS is a tackle tour and a Japan "thing" for the most part. 16 and 20lb test flouro are staple line sizes for all the guys in the tourney circuits. I don't want you to think I'm blindly over generalizing because I see why you want a shallower spool but it's just not something the American bass market has gotten into just yet. I myself and thankful they kept the deeper spool. I have sv spools and alphas for BFS. Maybe the aftermarket will make a suitable spool to fit your needs.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:15 am

All this talk has made me curious ... Having a 8 gear overnighted to be able to use Saturday during our local club tournament. :mrgreen:

Chowmeow
Angler
Angler

Post by Chowmeow » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 am

jpd0144 wrote:All this talk has made me curious ... Having a 8 gear overnighted to be able to use Saturday during our local club tournament. :mrgreen:
pics are needed when you get it!

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:05 am

Chowmeow wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:All this talk has made me curious ... Having a 8 gear overnighted to be able to use Saturday during our local club tournament. :mrgreen:
pics are needed when you get it!
I'll post with a couple of its siblings ...

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:06 am

Oh, I know and understand that. Most pros still use backing too, so making the spool a bit shallower isn't going to hurt. it doesn't have to be a BFS spool. In this price range they would do themselves a favor to do this since Shimano and 13 Fishing have shallower spool reels in the sub-200 dollar market. It would also save some overall weight. They could even keep the standard spool on the cranking ratio if they had to.

Demoman wrote:
Because these are Reels designed for American bass fishermen. BFS is a tackle tour and a Japan "thing" for the most part. 16 and 20lb test flouro are staple line sizes for all the guys in the tourney circuits. I don't want you to think I'm blindly over generalizing because I see why you want a shallower spool but it's just not something the American bass market has gotten into just yet. I myself and thankful they kept the deeper spool. I have sv spools and alphas for BFS. Maybe the aftermarket will make a suitable spool to fit your needs.

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:09 am

I like the deep spool. I sold all of my smaller shimano reels because they dont hold much line. I prefer to line up with 14lb test.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:35 pm

quick comparison pics

ct vs 100typer2.jpg
ct vs 100typer2.jpg (91.73 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
ct vs sv1032.jpg
ct vs sv1032.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 6058 times

Sorry I can't post more pics... im such a tech novice that its taking so long to downsize these pics to fit.

So the CT definitely feels smaller in hand vs the standard tat. Particularly, its much easier to wrap your fingers
across the front of the reel. It much slimmer than I thought. However, for those complaining about the original tatula magforce knob protruding too much, you will probably still feel it on the CT. Because the reel is slimmer in the back and tapers out towards the middle, the dial becomes a contact point at the inner palm. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it may others.

I also snapped a quick comparison pic with the SV103, which uses the frame many consider to be the apex of palmability. The width of the reels are similar, but the SV103 is just more comfortable because of the back of the reel is rounded to fit perfectly in the palm, while the CT has a less comfortable skinny posterior. So basically, sir mix-a-lot and I still think the old school zillion/TDZ frame is the gold standard, but the CT is definitely a more comfortable design than the standard sized tat.

hope this makes sense cuz im pretty tired.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Buttermilk biscuits. Thx for the pics! How are you liking that SV103?

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Buttermilk biscuits. Thx for the pics! How are you liking that SV103?
I threw some line on the sv103 and thought, this is not a handsome reel. Nothing striking about it.
Paint scheme is pedestrian. Heavy. Lack of clickies. Not very enthusiast.

A month later its my favorite reel. Its seen more fish than all my other reels combined since I got it.
Easy win I guess... TDZ/Fuego/Old Zillion frame that doesn't backlash. Just simply works.