new Tatula CT

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chowmeow
Angler
Angler

Re: new Tatula CT

Post by Chowmeow » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:11 pm

It looks a lot like the lexa 100. I'm buying it as soon as I hear about it's side plate materials and casting capabilities.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for the updates GoBlue; the sv103 is on my list of must haves for 2016 as well so I appreciated the picture inclusion.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:41 pm

goblue wrote: I also snapped a quick comparison pic with the SV103, which uses the frame many consider to be the apex of palmability. The width of the reels are similar, but the SV103 is just more comfortable because of the back of the reel is rounded to fit perfectly in the palm, while the CT has a less comfortable skinny posterior.
Those were my exact thoughts and comparison with the Zillion TWS SV vs OG Zillion.
The Tats will be flying off the shelves once all doubts have been put to rest, you simply can't beat that price point.

Thanks for the pics!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:09 pm

jpd0144 wrote:
Chowmeow wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:All this talk has made me curious ... Having a 8 gear overnighted to be able to use Saturday during our local club tournament. :mrgreen:
pics are needed when you get it!
I'll post with a couple of its siblings ...
Stand as far away as possible and use the zoom feature to limit lens distortion.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 pm

goblue wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Buttermilk biscuits. Thx for the pics! How are you liking that SV103?
I threw some line on the sv103 and thought, this is not a handsome reel. Nothing striking about it.
Paint scheme is pedestrian. Heavy. Lack of clickies. Not very enthusiast.

A month later its my favorite reel. Its seen more fish than all my other reels combined since I got it.
Easy win I guess... TDZ/Fuego/Old Zillion frame that doesn't backlash. Just simply works.
My only problem with the SV103 is that you can get an old TDZ in decent shape and pop in an SV spool and you have almost the same reel in a lighter frame with clickies. Lack of gear ratio choices and feel of magnesium versus aluminum being the main differences.

DaveJ

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
goblue wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Buttermilk biscuits. Thx for the pics! How are you liking that SV103?
I threw some line on the sv103 and thought, this is not a handsome reel. Nothing striking about it.
Paint scheme is pedestrian. Heavy. Lack of clickies. Not very enthusiast.

A month later its my favorite reel. Its seen more fish than all my other reels combined since I got it.
Easy win I guess... TDZ/Fuego/Old Zillion frame that doesn't backlash. Just simply works.
My only problem with the SV103 is that you can get an old TDZ in decent shape and pop in an SV spool and you have almost the same reel in a lighter frame with clickies. Lack of gear ratio choices and feel of magnesium versus aluminum being the main differences.

DaveJ
But isn't the aluminum a characteristic that's been praised for so long when it comes to the Zillion, hence, tanks, work horses.
The SV spool is simply a bonus.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:33 pm

goblue wrote:quick comparison pics

ct vs 100typer2.jpg
ct vs sv1032.jpg

Sorry I can't post more pics... im such a tech novice that its taking so long to downsize these pics to fit.

So the CT definitely feels smaller in hand vs the standard tat. Particularly, its much easier to wrap your fingers
across the front of the reel. It much slimmer than I thought. However, for those complaining about the original tatula magforce knob protruding too much, you will probably still feel it on the CT. Because the reel is slimmer in the back and tapers out towards the middle, the dial becomes a contact point at the inner palm. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it may others.

I also snapped a quick comparison pic with the SV103, which uses the frame many consider to be the apex of palmability. The width of the reels are similar, but the SV103 is just more comfortable because of the back of the reel is rounded to fit perfectly in the palm, while the CT has a less comfortable skinny posterior. So basically, sir mix-a-lot and I still think the old school zillion/TDZ frame is the gold standard, but the CT is definitely a more comfortable design than the standard sized tat.

hope this makes sense cuz im pretty tired.
really appreciate the pics!

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks everyone for the pics and info. Wish I could hold one and mount one on my rods to see if I like it.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:14 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:
Chowmeow wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:All this talk has made me curious ... Having a 8 gear overnighted to be able to use Saturday during our local club tournament. :mrgreen:
Stand as far away as possible and use the zoom feature to limit lens distortion.

DaveJ

At work at the moment but will put up a couple of pics also . Thanks goblue for sharing. Your pics have made me even more eager to get my hands on it.

Dave ill be working with an iPhone 6s so not much to work with ... sorry.

garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by garza7585 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:24 am

Love the reel... Hate the red...

Red, red, red and more red... I dont mind it much when they use it to distinguish gear ratios but my oberservations are that theyre all red!!

Need more purple and some neon green like the JDM Zillion TWS!!

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 am

I got my hands on the these at the Fred Hall show and I really like them. The Type R has a little too much red but I'm gonna get one anyways. I have small hands and it fits in my hand nicely. I will definitely have an assortment of these especially with the pricing.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:46 am

Chowmeow wrote:It looks a lot like the lexa 100. I'm buying it as soon as I hear about it's side plate materials and casting capabilities.
Its kinda similar to the lexa 100 in that the frame is a little longer front to back. However, I think the lexa 100 body
is uniformly narrow from front to back, and as a result a bit more comfortable to palm. Crazy thing is I believe both
reels have the same MSRP.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:56 am

Demoman wrote:Thanks for the updates GoBlue; the sv103 is on my list of must haves for 2016 as well so I appreciated the picture inclusion.
no problem, i just wish I had a better camera and more tech smarts to post more efficiently.

I don't know if its because im one of those stupid nostalgia driven consumers, but I just love the mix of old and new (old zillion frame + sv spool)... holding the sv103 frame reminds me of so many good days out on the water fishing the old zillion. People like me probably fuel daiwa's propensity to constant reboot old reel platforms with new tech.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 am

jpd0144 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
jpd0144 wrote:
Chowmeow wrote:

DaveJ

At work at the moment but will put up a couple of pics also . Thanks goblue for sharing. Your pics have made me even more eager to get my hands on it.

Dave ill be working with an iPhone 6s so not much to work with ... sorry.
Well your photos should be better than mine, I took mine with a 5s. haha.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 am

garza7585 wrote:Love the reel... Hate the red...

Red, red, red and more red... I dont mind it much when they use it to distinguish gear ratios but my oberservations are that theyre all red!!

Need more purple and some neon green like the JDM Zillion TWS!!
Funny, the only thing I don't like about the cosmetics reel is the fact that they use the color coded trims to indicate
gear ratio (my 8.1:1 has a purple nut plate retainer and magforce dial), while keeping the cast control
knob red. I really cant complain at this price, but the colors do clash a bit. I rather they made all the trimmings
a uniform color, but im sure they have to save on production cost somehow...