High(er)speed gear set for cardiff

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bass raider
Angler
Angler

High(er)speed gear set for cardiff

Post by Bass raider » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Hey guys my first post here. I was hoping some of the more experienced tackle junkies could help me out. I have been wanting to try a Shimano round reel but sadly do not have the funds for a calcutta so I about decided to go with the cardiff but it's only available in 5:1 gear ratio. Does anyone know if there are higher speed gear sets available for the cardiff 100 and/or 200? Thanks.

MRG
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: High(er)speed gear set for cardiff

Post by MRG » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm not sure if there are faster gears or not. Maybe there are some Calcutta gears that might fit.

Nonetheless... I've had a 201 and 301 Cardiff since the early 2000s that I regularly use for Musky and Bass. I usually use the 201 for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. The 301 is used for musky bucktails, surface lures (aka top waters) and crankbaits.

I don't think the thought has ever crossed my mind that either of these reels are too slow. They seem just fine to me. I think they are geared just right for a reel of this size. I've always been impressed with these reels. They have been flawless for me for many years. They're also one of the best reel values you'll find out there. I'd recommend buying the reel and giving it a try with the stock gears.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:12 pm

I was looking for idea of installing gear set of Shimano Calcutta 200D (CT-200D) into my Cardiff 200A (CDF-200A) for the sake of it has X-SHIP technology and stumble into this thread during my search (sorry for digging old thread). Do you guys think it's possible to do? what are others part that I need to install/swap? here are measurement of drive gear I've measured from Cardiff 200A, forgot to take measurement of pinion gear though.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Post in the Shimano manufactures forum maybe.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Shimano's X-ship is a fancy term for bearing support on both ends of the pinion gear. The spool side of the pinion has been bearing supported in many shimano reels for a long time but the cast control cap side recently received bearing support with that new design. It requires a boss for the bearing which won't be in the side plate of your reel. If the center lines and diameters of the newer gear set mesh in your old reel you would still need to shorten the pinion length by cutting off the spindle for it to fit your reel.

wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandyhee » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am

sold my cardiff 200a without even using it. I spool up with 40lb 0.30mm braided line and it's only about 90m. Just ordered Shimano 13 Calcutta 400 (jdm) yesterday from Japan seller (ebay), they sent the package out today and hopefully it will be here by mid next week \:D/