Shimano Stradic ci4+ handle play????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Stradic ci4+ handle play????

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjw0um08yY

Drive shim at 2:24 under the left side bearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMvcS55CsI

The Ci4+ is more like the above reel.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:25 am

jm529 wrote:
You should exchange your reel if possible. Shimming the gears is not as simple as it sounds. You need an assortment of shims and calipers to measure the shims to figure out which size to use.
Yeah, best route. It can be intimidating opening one up for the first time, but they are very similar after you open half a dozen of them a dozen time.

Rarenium looks exactly the same as Ci4+, X-Ship but no bearing in the spool or under the spool. Exsence is better at $225.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHemWLXIRz8

Wiha are expensive but very well worth it if you service your own reels. Their screw drivers fit those tiny screws use in reels very precisely.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 am

I've had the Wiha screwdriver set for years and they are great. I was just planning on getting the hex driver set to match the drivers that i have already.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 am

aquaholik wrote:
jm529 wrote:
You should exchange your reel if possible. Shimming the gears is not as simple as it sounds. You need an assortment of shims and calipers to measure the shims to figure out which size to use.
Yeah, best route. It can be intimidating opening one up for the first time, but they are very similar after you open half a dozen of them a dozen time.

Rarenium looks exactly the same as Ci4+, X-Ship but no bearing in the spool or under the spool. Exsence is better at $225.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHemWLXIRz8

Wiha are expensive but very well worth it if you service your own reels. Their screw drivers fit those tiny screws use in reels very precisely.

Does the exsence come in a deep spool? A lot of the JDM offerings have shallow spools I noticed. The video was pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

Christian

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:41 am

Maybe I'll just hold off and get this reel instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E_4fRXLppQ

Let me know what you guys think!

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:42 am

Looks like all shallow spool on Ebay.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 am

Good move! Exchange it and if the next one has the same issue, exchange it again.

These reels are absolutely great when they are "right," but for that kind of money, you shouldn't have to take them apart, invest in special tools and then modify them.

I have never, ever closed my Ci4+ bail by hand so I am not sure what the sound might be but if others have investigated and found the source, and it is a flaw, sending it back is the way to telegraph the issue to Shimano.

This, of course, assuming the retailer just doesn't repackage it and sell it to the next guy.

Here's hoping you get it right because it is one heck of a reel.

Brad

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:10 am

chreim20 wrote:Maybe I'll just hold off and get this reel instead:

Might have to wait a while. Loops sharp like a Stradic FK in Ci4 body. Should have seals similar to the FK. I like the Stradic FK, best Stradic yet except for the weak felt drag washers.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:58 pm

aquaholik wrote:

Might have to wait a while. Loops sharp like a Stradic FK in Ci4 body. Should have seals similar to the FK. I like the Stradic FK, best Stradic yet except for the weak felt drag washers.

The reel has 20 lbs of drag, is that weak? Or weak as in they wear out fast? Let me know! Thanks

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:Good move! Exchange it and if the next one has the same issue, exchange it again.

These reels are absolutely great when they are "right," but for that kind of money, you shouldn't have to take them apart, invest in special tools and then modify them.

I have never, ever closed my Ci4+ bail by hand so I am not sure what the sound might be but if others have investigated and found the source, and it is a flaw, sending it back is the way to telegraph the issue to Shimano.

This, of course, assuming the retailer just doesn't repackage it and sell it to the next guy.

Here's hoping you get it right because it is one heck of a reel.

Brad
You are right, I agree with you 100% I always close the bail with my hand, but I haven't even mounted this reel on a rod yet, just held it in hand. I'm positive it is the handle play that is the issue. If I just ignored it, I could probably fish this reel and never have a problem with it, but the reason I bought a $200 is because I want it to be solid and a joy to fish with. I've held pfueger spinning reels under $100 that felt tighter than this reel does, lol. Thanks for your input!

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:52 am

chreim20 wrote:
aquaholik wrote:

The reel has 20 lbs of drag, is that weak? Or weak as in they wear out fast? Let me know! Thanks
If you keep the drag under 3lbs, they should last forever. Push it to 4-5 lbs and they will wear out quick.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Crazy I have owned 4 plus and have many friends that own them as well with no issues, I wonder if it has to do with the more current batches.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm

This is just what we have come to expect with Shimano.

Their QC/QA has gone right out the window.

If you get a good one, then all is ok...but good luck finding one.

I don't have any Ci4+'s, but I do own 6 or 7 Ci4's......and they are all flawless....but three of them had to go back when purchased to exchange for others....

This is why I virtually never order reels online.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:This is just what we have come to expect with Shimano.

Their QC/QA has gone right out the window.

If you get a good one, then all is ok...but good luck finding one.

I don't have any Ci4+'s, but I do own 6 or 7 Ci4's......and they are all flawless....but three of them had to go back when purchased to exchange for others....

This is why I virtually never order reels online.
Good point! If you buy in person you can actually test it out and if it doesn't feel right, then test another. You will end up paying more, but it might be worth it to avoid the headache.

I just got a Stradic 2500fj in, and it's much more solid in the handle. I know it's aluminum, heavier, but the tolerances just feel tighter on it, even tighter than the 2500 fk. Thanks for your input!

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:15 pm

I have FG's, FH's, FI's, FJ's and four CI4+ don't tell my wife! with the exception of the soft gears and little lubrication supplied in FH's and the worm shaft Knocking in the FI's I'm pretty happy with them, with the CI4+'s being my favorite by a wide margin. I have one CI4+ 2500 that has well over 50 Salmon on the bank and at least as many lost to it's credit and it is still as tight and smooth as the first day I used it, the drag has held up very good as well with just a little fuzz working loose from the felt washers. I keep all of them lubed regularly that is the key to making them last.
The only real issue I have had to date is the reels coming under lubricated from the factory, I have had a number of new Stradics start locking up within the first couple hours of use and two CI4+'s just last summer but thanks to the lube port they were up and going within minutes. I would send it back and try again you will love the reel they are one of the best.

Kurt