Shimano Stradic ci4+ handle play????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Stradic ci4+ handle play????

Post by chreim20 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Hey guys,
I just purchased a Shimano Stradic ci4+ spinning reel and after connecting the handle I have noticed a good amount of play in the handle. Everything works as it should but for $200 I was expecting it to be a little tighter. Have a purchased a defective one or is this common with this reel? If you have this reel please give me your thoughts, thank you!

Christian

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Stradic ci4+ handle play????

Post by vinnieb729 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:19 pm

What type of play? Slop when reeling or in and out from the body?

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:What type of play? Slop when reeling or in and out from the body?

Their is some in and out play when I pull the handle away from the body. When I turn the handle it feels smooth but their is a clicking feeling in the handle when I get it to the down position. I have my reel set up to retrieve with my left hand, when I put the handle at 10 o'clock and just tap on the handle with my finger it just really seems loose and not real tight, even though the handle is all the way locked down. Hope that made sense, lol

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:09 am

I just got a 2500 size ci4+ and have fished it several times, no slop for me. I'd say contact Shimano.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:28 am

Sounds like something isn't right to me.

I have a 2500 series Ci4+ and it has no play in it in either circumstance: not in the reeling action itself, nor in any left/right push pull toward and away from the reel.

And, it should be absolutely silent, no clicking noise.

One suggestion might be to reverse the handle to the opposite side to see if the problem persists. If not, on the off chance that it is related to how the handle was "seated" when the handle was attached, it might clear itself up once removed and then re-attached.

If not, get it back to your source. You'll love the Ci4+.

Brad

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:45 am

I checked mine and don't have any play to speak of.

The ticking sound I've had before. Infact I just bought one of the new Stradics from Japan that did it pretty bad. Returning it wasn't feasible so I tore into it. Turns out it was the bail trip bar that closes the bail when you turn the reel handle...it wasn't lifting high enough out of the way and was ticking the bail trip lever. It made no difference if I closed the bail by hand or with the reel handle...fast or slow rotation, didn't matter. I ended up removing the bail trip strike and all is well...I'm forced to close the bail by hand now but I always did anyway so it's no real inconvenience.

Not sure this is the same issue yours is having but it may be useful in the future if not now. The sound could also be related to whatever is causing the slop. I'd go to a store and check out a couple reels to compare yours too.

This is the diagram for your reel but the parts are roughly the same on the new Stradic.

Part# 15024 BAIL TRIP LEVER
Part# 12651 BAIL TRIP STRIKE
https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/produc ... 4441848376

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 am

I just got one from Tackle Warehouse a couple weeks ago with the same problem. It seems like the drive gear is not shimmed properly and needs another shim. The reel is smooth but not a solid quiet reel like it should be.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:47 am

jm529 wrote:I just got one from Tackle Warehouse a couple weeks ago with the same problem. It seems like the drive gear is not shimmed properly and needs another shim. The reel is smooth but not a solid quiet reel like it should be.
Unfortunately, the rotor needs to come off before you can take the side plate out to add the shim, and in order to take the rotor out, you need a .9mm hex driver to get the set screw out.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 am

aquaholik wrote:
jm529 wrote:I just got one from Tackle Warehouse a couple weeks ago with the same problem. It seems like the drive gear is not shimmed properly and needs another shim. The reel is smooth but not a solid quiet reel like it should be.
Unfortunately, the rotor needs to come off before you can take the side plate out to add the shim, and in order to take the rotor out, you need a .9mm hex driver to get the set screw out.
Yeah that's keeping me from tearing into it now. I have the shims but not the hex key.

I guess Shimano's quality control is not what it used to be.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:57 am

YES!!! This is exactly how mine feels, kind of like a loose handle knob on a baitcast reel in a way. Where can I get some shims and directions to do this? The reel does feel smooth, but disappointed my $80 pflueger feels tighter than this reel, ya know?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:17 am

You need one of these:

Search Amazon for :
MIP 9012 Thorp Hex Driver 0.9mm MIPC9005
by MIP

You need to remove that tiny set screw. You might be able to file down a paper clip and use that but that tool above is invaluable if you are a Shimano reel owner. Stradic and above all use that set screw now.

The rest is pretty straight forward, just looking at some youtube video.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 am

aquaholik wrote:You need one of these:

Search Amazon for :
MIP 9012 Thorp Hex Driver 0.9mm MIPC9005
by MIP

You need to remove that tiny set screw. You might be able to file down a paper clip and use that but that tool above is invaluable if you are a Shimano reel owner. Stradic and above all use that set screw now.

The rest is pretty straight forward, just looking at some youtube video.
Thank you, if you come across a video that's useful please post it! I'll look for some as well!

Christian

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks! You saved me some money. I was gonna get the Wiha set for $25.00 but didn't have much use for the other sizes.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:09 am

chreim20 wrote:

YES!!! This is exactly how mine feels, kind of like a loose handle knob on a baitcast reel in a way. Where can I get some shims and directions to do this? The reel does feel smooth, but disappointed my $80 pflueger feels tighter than this reel, ya know?
You should exchange your reel if possible. Shimming the gears is not as simple as it sounds. You need an assortment of shims and calipers to measure the shims to figure out which size to use.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:13 am

jm529 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:

You should exchange your reel if possible. Shimming the gears is not as simple as it sounds. You need an assortment of shims and calipers to measure the shims to figure out which size to use.
I'm going to exchange, it's in the process, but if the other one is the same I'll be disappointed and might have to tear into that bad boy. Also, might just return and get a stradic 2500fj or Rarenium out of Japan. I heard the rarenium has tighter tolerances for some reason on another thread.