Great reels no one talks about?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Great reels no one talks about?

Post by DavidSA » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:22 am

uljersey wrote:Team Daiwa Advantage 153HSTA Supertuned.

Beast of a reel. A tad on the big side, you need some mitts to palm it, but very smooth and well made. I still use mine to launch my larger lipless cranks, but it will do a decent job on smaller baits as well. In it's day it was legendary.

My second reel of note is the first gen Revo STX. That was my first "high end" reel and I had a blast with it. Many people prefer the first gen over the subsequent versions. She's back in her box now living the retirement dream. She earned it.

Never fished it but I remember it vividly and it got editors choice in a review. The challenge was the 8.5oz at a time when all the brands were going light. At the time 7oz was light :roll:

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 am

Chronarch E, 200 and 50 sizes.
Poor marketing choices by Shimano led this reel to be so maligned, even though they were essentially the same reel as the Curado E, which people still covet to this day - as availability and Ebay asking prices will tell you.
I didn't really care about the name, it was a workhorse reel, available to lefties in 3 essential retrieve ratios and 2 sizes at an everyday price point. With its passing, left handed Shimano fans need to spend much more money than in the past to get a functional stable of reels to cover all techniques from slow cranking to finesse to all rounders to high speed bottom contact.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 am

BucketHunter wrote:Chronarch E, 200 and 50 sizes.
Poor marketing choices by Shimano led this reel to be so maligned, even though they were essentially the same reel as the Curado E, which people still covet to this day - as availability and Ebay asking prices will tell you.
I didn't really care about the name, it was a workhorse reel, available to lefties in 3 essential retrieve ratios and 2 sizes at an everyday price point. With its passing, left handed Shimano fans need to spend much more money than in the past to get a functional stable of reels to cover all techniques from slow cranking to finesse to all rounders to high speed bottom contact.
I think it was the ugly white and black color combination that threw some off.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:47 am

Think "storm trooper" color from the factory! Not ugly!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:46 am

I still fish two of the original Revo Premier reels. Those are my crank bait reels.
How about the first version of the Quantum Smoke? All they do is fish, all day.
And the Pflueger Summit reels. They are great, and bullet-proof.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 am

Daiwa Sol. My first finesse reel. Also the first reel I ever lost overboard, it's at the bottom of Hammonton Lake anchored by a 6' 10" Falcon Cara micro guide :crying: I scored that one new in the box off of fleabay a while after they had been discontinued. I found a used one from the Tackle Trap a couple of years ago, it's still in my rotation today.

I know there are more refined reels out there, but that particular shade of orange ... 8-) It just does so many things well.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:16 am

The chronarch E was a strange situation. In retrospect, the chronarch E has added to and made a legend called the E. When someone asks me if I will sell a E7 they don't care that I can tell if it was called a Curado or Chronarch.

I don't really see this reel as overlooked. I think this reel was somehow caught up in a transition by Shimano of anything lower then a Chronarch to being made outside Japan. Heell, I sold a Citica E last week and even it was made in Japan at the time.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

DavidSA wrote:
The chronarch E was a strange situation. In retrospect, the chronarch E has added to and made a legend called the E. When someone asks me if I will sell a E7 they don't care that I can tell if it was called a Curado or Chronarch.

I don't really see this reel as overlooked. I think this reel was somehow caught up in a transition by Shimano of anything lower then a Chronarch to being made outside Japan. Heell, I sold a Citica E last week and even it was made in Japan at the time.
The Chronarch E still sold very well after the name and color change. It was constantly on TW best seller list month after month.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 am

lape0019 wrote:My old Pflueger Patriarch XT baitcast reel. It was essentially Pfluegers version of the Premier. Great reel but no one ever talks about Pflueger. LOL.

I agree wit this. Even though I went back to Shimano these reels were great

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:13 am

Dink Dawg wrote:The original BB1N and any of the Shimano B series. These are classics yet still perform at an amazing level...if you have any. There are still loyalists that covet these reels and for good reason.
The original Lews BB1N was a superb reel. In fact I think I have 2 or 3 stored away in a closet for years. If there is anyone who loves these reels, send a pm and I could be persuaded to let a couple go.

Mitch

slideaction
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slideaction » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 am

My first baitcast was the citica e. Great reel out the box and was able to get it at a going out price of $56 at academy. Loved it so much I went to search for the curado e at local academys and was able to get one for $80. Had it good back then. Although they were in the shadows with a little tuning those citica are just as good only different color schemes, lol

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Chronarch MG50.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:34 pm

The Green Curado 100/101's great little reels!

Kurt

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Shimano caenan. great reel for the price

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:48 pm