Daiwa Tatula in Saltwater

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Tatula in Saltwater

Post by Tony9 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:02 am

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any experience with the Daiwa Tatula in the saltwater environment? I'm interested in one and plan to use it in brackish waters.Thanks!

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula in Saltwater

Post by mylobass » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:42 am

Tried it and returned it after one trip. Line guide on the reel could not cope with leader knots. I usually keep a very long leader, 20 to 30lb. mono that is surgeons knotted to 12 or 14lb. mono main line.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:24 pm

mylobass wrote:Tried it and returned it after one trip. Line guide on the reel could not cope with leader knots. I usually keep a very long leader, 20 to 30lb. mono that is surgeons knotted to 12 or 14lb. mono main line.
Try using an FG knot for your leader knot, and use braid for mainline. It works quite well.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Tony9 wrote:Hi guys,

Does anybody have any experience with the Daiwa Tatula in the saltwater environment? I'm interested in one and plan to use it in brackish waters.Thanks!
I service reels in North Queensland Australia. Where predominantly salt water fishinf is done. The biggest issue i have come across with tatulas is the pinion bearing and spool bearing under the cast control cap fail often. The best defence is to remove the spool and cast control cap at home after use an add a couple drops of oil to each of those bearings. Another issue is the alloy drag washer pits where it contacts the carbon drag washer which i have only found in reels used in salt. Reels that have been regularly serviced have not had this issue either.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:37 am

Thanks for the response guys. If I do grab a Tatula, it'll be for freshwater only.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:23 am

I used the Tatula exclusively in saltwater last year without a problem. Did a Simple rinse and lube after each trip then ready to go
Ymmv
Go gettum Mick

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tony9 wrote:Hi guys,

I service reels in North Queensland Australia. Where predominantly salt water fishinf is done. The biggest issue i have come across with tatulas is the pinion bearing and spool bearing under the cast control cap fail often. The best defence is to remove the spool and cast control cap at home after use an add a couple drops of oil to each of those bearings. Another issue is the alloy drag washer pits where it contacts the carbon drag washer which i have only found in reels used in salt. Reels that have been regularly serviced have not had this issue either.
Would there be any preventative maintenance that would help?

pop the shields (assuming they are removable) and grease the pinion bearing with yamalube cut with corrosion x or royal purple HP.

on the spool tension bearing. grease the threads to add sealing.

Grease the drag stack to protect the metallic surfaces.

I spend a ton of time in the salty stuff. Preventative maintenance is key to longevity.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Pretty much what i said as post fishing maintenance. But before using it give it a good service as all new reels have minimal grease from factory and tatulas don't have enough to get through a few months in the salt. I believe the culprit for the salt getting in is the non free floating spool design as they have done away with the bearing housing that juts into the spool like the free floating spool reels, so my theory is the salty water gets either through the spool or beside it onto the spool shaft and enters the body along the shaft, thats the only it can get to the spool bearing under the cast control cap as there is an o ring on the cap. Another protection for the free floating spools is the separate pinion shaft. Changing the spool and pinion bearings to a ceramic hybrid will give better corrosion protection or at least a pinion bearing with a rubber contact seal as these give better protection than a metal shield.