SS SV vs Steez SV

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV vs Steez SV

Post by E73Bass » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:00 pm

TDZ-100M vs Fuego....enough said.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:55 pm

E73Bass wrote:TDZ-100M vs Fuego....enough said.
Oh I'm sure you'll have something else to say :whistle:
Do you own both? Is this your assessment based off using them?

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:31 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Well my conclusion at this point is that nobody really knows. Or if they do, they're not participating. I've read every post regarding this topic on here and other forums. One person was confident the Steez was worth the extra bread, stating it is indeed more refined, has a better "geary" connection feel as the EX is known for, and this was contributed to the Steez SV having better internals, added bearings, and the frame being magnesium rather the hybrid Zaion / magnesium of the SS SV. Pretty much everybody else thinks it's basically the same reel with a few more bearings, magnesium frame, clicking cast control, and longer handle.
So in short, the Steez should feel a little nicer based on what I posted above - Okay dandy. But, I'll ask one last time, DO THEY CAST THE SAME? Has anyone broken both reels down? Does anyone actually own both reels? Does the Steez have the same spool rotor spring? Somebody just say TDZ - Fuego and I'll go away.

And yet you are still here?

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 am

[quote="Hogsticker2"]Well my conclusion at this point is that nobody really knows. Or if they do, they're not participating. I've read every post regarding this topic on here and other forums. One person was confident the Steez was worth the extra bread, stating it is indeed more refined, has a better "geary" connection feel as the EX is known for, and this was contributed to the Steez SV having better internals, added bearings, and the frame being magnesium rather the hybrid Zaion / magnesium of the SS SV. Pretty much everybody else thinks it's basically the same reel with a few more bearings, magnesium frame, clicking cast control, and longer handle.
So in short, the Steez should feel a little nicer based on what I posted above - Okay dandy. But, I'll ask one last time, DO THEY CAST THE SAME? Has anyone broken both reels down? Does anyone actually own both reels? Does the Steez have the same spool rotor spring? Somebody just say TDZ - Fuego and I'll go away.[/quote]

I have both SS SV and Steez SV 6.3R JDM. No doubt Steez is worth the extra money, it casts much better with light tackle (I'm using HH Air bearings and I've have never tried above 1/2 oz with mine) and the quality feeling is much higher even if I have problems pinpointing what's causing it, Steez SV just feels perfect. This comparison is only valid for the "standard" JDM Steez SV, from the images I've seen the inductor of the Limited and US editions seems like the SS SV and the gear side plates of the Limited and US versions look like the SS SV Zaion part not the magnesium part used for the "standard" JDM Steez SV and EX.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

I think it's all in your head.

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 am

Rippin-lips offered that he should have purchased the 8.1:1 Steez instead of the 6.3:1 version. Why? I'm still fishing very old 6.3:1 reels; so, it's been awhile since I've had new ones. I always thought 6.3:1 was considered an all around ratio. Will a modern 8.1:1 reel handle deep diving crankbaits? I can see its virtues when casting spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. Please advise. I would like all my new reels to have the same ratio.

Also, based on what I've read, the 8.1:1 version is slightly heavier than the 6.3:1 version. Does anyone know why?

Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:32 am

Greg64 wrote:Rippin-lips offered that he should have purchased the 8.1:1 Steez instead of the 6.3:1 version. Why? I'm still fishing very old 6.3:1 reels; so, it's been awhile since I've had new ones. I always thought 6.3:1 was considered an all around ratio. Will a modern 8.1:1 reel handle deep diving crankbaits? I can see its virtues when casting spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. Please advise. I would like all my new reels to have the same ratio.

Also, based on what I've read, the 8.1:1 version is slightly heavier than the 6.3:1 version. Does anyone know why?

Thanks
The 8:1:1 has brass gears which accounts for the additional weight. 6:3:1 has aluminum and this gear ratio would indeed make a better all around reel for most folks. Most folks also prefer brass.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 am

Greg64 wrote:Rippin-lips offered that he should have purchased the 8.1:1 Steez instead of the 6.3:1 version. Why? I'm still fishing very old 6.3:1 reels; so, it's been awhile since I've had new ones. I always thought 6.3:1 was considered an all around ratio. Will a modern 8.1:1 reel handle deep diving crankbaits? I can see its virtues when casting spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. Please advise. I would like all my new reels to have the same ratio.

Thanks
Why one gear ratio? I can understand having the same reel so you have the same feel, but same gear ratio??

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:00 am

I fished with the 8.1:1 and own the 6.3 Steez SV. The 6.3 feels much smoother and more powerful even though it has aluminum gears. My experience has been with 8:1 or other super-high ratios you sacrifice power and refinement for speed.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:09 am

Frosty wrote:I fished with the 8.1:1 and own the 6.3 Steez SV. The 6.3 feels much smoother and more powerful even though it has aluminum gears. My experience has been with 8:1 or other super-high ratios you sacrifice power and refinement for speed.
Depends on application intended with said reel.
I went 8.1 for flipping and pitching, it will serve that purpose well.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:18 am

I have the 8.1 and this particular specimen has been butter smooth. Under load and not. It may not have the power that my 6.3 zillion has but it's every bit as smooth as any other reel I've used sans maybe the new conquest.