Shimano baitcaster handles

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Shimano baitcaster handles

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:53 am

Do the newer Shimano baitcaster handles fit the older Shimano reels, like my Bantam 100?

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano baitcaster handles

Post by SLM » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:16 am

Be a purist and keep the rosewood--that's one of the Bantam 100's distinctions!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 am

SLM wrote:Be a purist and keep the rosewood--that's one of the Bantam 100's distinctions!
Hahaha. I am a fisherman, and I want to use it, not worship it!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:33 am

SLM wrote:Be a purist and keep the rosewood--that's one of the Bantam 100's distinctions!
Agreed, I fish mine stock minus the carbontex drag. Planning to have a rod built for it as well. :big grin:

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:51 am

I wished they would just design all of them for double bearings. Then I could swap any of them around...pending same knob shaft and all.

Well darnn handles, just try...it may work.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 am

slipperybob wrote:I wished they would just design all of them for double bearings. Then I could swap any of them around...pending same knob shaft and all.

Well darnn handles, just try...it may work.
I don't have any of the newer Shimano reels to try the handles, or I would. My newest is the Chronarch MG50.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 am

Mark- here is my take. Only someone who has taken handle x and put it on reel y should comment. Recently I was about to buy a Met xg handle for my Curado 100D. I assumed it would fit because the handle fits great on the chronarch MG50. Just before I hit order I decided to test it. It did not work. The dragstar on the 100D is different then the MG50. Lesson learned the cheap way. Testing is the only way to know.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:31 am

DavidSA wrote:Mark- here is my take. Only someone who has taken handle x and put it on reel y should comment. Recently I was about to buy a Met xg handle for my Curado 100D. I assumed it would fit because the handle fits great on the chronarch MG50. Just before I hit order I decided to test it. It did not work. The dragstar on the 100D is different then the MG50. Lesson learned the cheap way. Testing is the only way to know.
I agree David. The reel I want to upgrade has a metal drag star, so I can bend the tabs to fit an offset handle. I've done it before with other reels, but none of my Shimanos.
I can't do that with the MG50 reels, because the drag stars are plastic.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:58 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Agreed, I fish mine stock minus the carbontex drag. Planning to have a rod built for it as well. :big grin:
Excellent! Please post a pic after it's built. I've been wanting to do the same--I'd love to have a retro looking rod built for one of my Bantam 100s but nothing too 80s 5'6" pistol grippish looking.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am

SLM wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:
Excellent! Please post a pic after it's built. I've been wanting to do the same--I'd love to have a retro looking rod built for one of my Bantam 100s but nothing too 80s 5'6" pistol grippish looking.
Will do, been brainstorming for years...