Mgl XG Topwater.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mgl XG Topwater.

Post by NYBASSIN » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:23 am

Going to pick up a Metanium mgl. It's going to be used for topwater. Most of the time I will have a Sammie or a pop-max on it.
I've pretty much made up my mind to go with the XG. Figured since I'm going to have a lot of slack line it will be good to take it up fast. Just want to hear anyone else's opinion. To see if there are any factors I may have overlooked,regarding the ratio.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Mgl XG Topwater.

Post by DavidSA » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:07 am

I absolutely love the XG in the 13met. I'd fish an XG on anything feasible and what you suggest is feasible ;)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:40 pm

I'd go with the 7.4:1 for topwater. Plenty fast.
The XG will work, but those ultra fast gears are better suited for plastics & jigs at close range imo.
Also depends on what size bass in your area. I'm in Ga and it's not far fetched to get into 7-15lb largemouth on topwater, Or the occasional striper. I'd be cussing if I got into a 8+ lb fish from 40-60 yards away(or farther) with 8.5:1 gears.

For me, the line capacity is the main thing I'd be hesitant about. I use 14lb mono for 1/2oz+ walking baits and I want atleast 100 yards of it. Poppers and smaller tw baits I use 10lb.
If you're using lower test line than 14lb, or not bombing em across the lake it should be good.

Thats a slick reel, I'd like to get one myself. But ...I don't know if it would be my first choice for a workhorse topwater reel. I think the micro gears(aluminum?) and lighter weight shallower spool would be wasted on that application.
But I haven't fished one or even held it, just going by specs and what I prefer for my specific style of topwater fishing(which is usually hard and fast, from sunrise to sunset when they're schooling on shad).
Everyone's style, lakes & region is different so take that with a grain of salt- YMMV.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 am

yeah, if you are fishing big mono then spool capacity might come into play. The older Mets had a bit more line capacity but I still use 30# braided line on them.

I would not think twice about hooking a 8lber on the Met13 xg that is 35 yards away. All that said, I commented only on the XG portion of your post. I elect to fish topwaters with a CI4 HG. This reel has a bit more line capacity then even the 13Met, casts a heavy lure just as far and the CI4HG is slightly faster then the MetHG. By slightly I mean about 10% more pickup. 10 cranks on a Ci4 HG is the same line pickup as roughly 11 cranks on the Met HG.

Dark3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dark3 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:19 am

Let us know what you think when you get it. I will have the same mgl xg on the way this week. Mine will be for jig and plastic casting/pitching

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:36 am

The topwater bite has just started around here, and have been throwing Skitterwalks and Spook Jr. a lot lately on my '13 XG. I'm loving the high speed for picking up slack on the strike and also reeling in quickly to make another cast. I'm using 30lb 832 with a 16lb Shooter leader and have no issues with line capacity. Using heavy mono may present some problems with capacity though. Never had an issue fighting big fish either. 20lb redfish and 8lb speckled trout, have no problems bringing them in, even on a long cast. Let the drag do its job and fight the fish with the rod. Plenty strong enough for bass.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 am

Another vote for the XG. Can't believe how much I love that reel. I am using it for walking baits and it is spooled with 30# braid with a mono leader.