Curado 70XG first... And second impressions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 70XG first... And second impressions

Post by Hennessy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:09 am

Claims that this reel can cast just as good as the metanium is interesting. Can anyone compare distance of the 70i to a daiwa sv spool reel?

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:33 am

Hennessy wrote:Claims that this reel can cast just as good as the metanium is interesting. Can anyone compare distance of the 70i to a daiwa sv spool reel?
My SV Steez and Alphas both outcast it for distance. I actually prefer the non-SV spools for pitching though--a lot of that depends on individual preferences. I thought the spool started pretty quickly in this reel, and I liked the power for such a small platform. Mine had some weird issue, but it seems to be an anomaly. It's seems to be a can't miss reel at this price, and has some tuning options available. Hope that helps.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Hennessy wrote:Claims that this reel can cast just as good as the metanium is interesting. Can anyone compare distance of the 70i to a daiwa sv spool reel?
I don't know about the metanium, but it easily out casts my SS SV for 1/4 oz and up.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:28 am

I had 3-SV spooled reels, 2-Alphas SV's and 1-SSSV. Once I got the braking figured out on the 70HG (mines the Scorpion), it has outcast the SV reels for me.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:58 am

Fished all day last week with my XG and love it, love it. I have Curado 100Bs, 200Es and 50Es and this is one sweet little reel. I have it spooled with 12lb flouro and threw a Senko all day. Of course, out of the box, I cleaned the oil out of the AR spool bearings (not the Xship bearing), lubed with Yellow Rocket Fuel and could not ask for any more speed, effortless distance and smoothness. I ain't changing anything on the reel. I will leave the gears until fall cleaning then I will clean the grease out of the pinion bearing and dip it in TSI301 as I have with all of my Shimanos.

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbfisherman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:06 am

I fished my 70 XG today. All I can say is this is one sweet reel. Like the previous post, smooth cast and really effortless. Once you dialed in the brakes settings I was able to throw a 1/8 oz split shot rig with a zoom finesse worm. It didn't struggle at all. I didn't even break it down and cleaned it yet either. I really like the palmability slightly better than the 50 Es. I'm ready to add more! Probably be a Scorpion 70 though.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:30 am

I bought the scorpion 70hg and its like everyone else has stated as far as the braking system goes, palms wells,casts effortlessly,and is smooth.
Last edited by phatbass on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 am

Since heavy rains kept me off the water, I removed the factory bearing and installed a pair of new Boca's in each knob this weekend. I was shocked at the amount of grease that was squeezed into the knobs from the factory. :shock:

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 am

metanium wrote:Since heavy rains kept me off the water, I removed the factory bearing and installed a pair of new Boca's in each knob this weekend. I was shocked at the amount of grease that was squeezed into the knobs from the factory. :shock:
I often wondered why they do this. So a couple years ago I had a chance to run into Bantam1 (Dan from Shimano) in Shreveport and asked him about why so much grease and oil. Basically he said while a lot of us do regular maintenance, some people fish their gear for years without servicing them. Its one way to help extend the reels life for those that just fish them and never look back.
Another thing he mentioned was I was only seeing it as a fresh water guy. For those people who saltwater fish its a way of protection and added security to keeping the reel running as it should. He noted that some people even do the salt deal and don't clean as the should. So again added life for those who know no better or don't care to be OCD with their reels. Left me with a side note saying that I probably didn't realize how much the inshore and salt market sales bring to the table just for the Curado line alone.

Left me thinking a bit ...
Last edited by jpd0144 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 am

jpd0144 wrote:
metanium wrote:Since heavy rains kept me off the water, I removed the factory bearing and installed a pair of new Boca's in each knob this weekend. I was shocked at the amount of grease that was squeezed into the knobs from the factory. :shock:
I often wondered why they do this. So a couple years ago I had a chance to run into Bantam1 (Dan from Shimano) in Shreveport and asked him about why so much grease and oil. Basically he said while a lot of us do regular maintenance, some people fish their gear for years without servicing them. Its one way to help extend the reels life for those that just fish them and never look back.
Another thing he mentioned was I was only seeing it as a fresh water guy. For those people who saltwater fish its a way of protection and added security to keeping the reel running as it should. He noted that some people even do the salt deal and don't clean as the should. So again added life for those who know no better or don't care to be OCD with their reels. Left me with a side note saying that I probably didn't realize how big the inshore and salt market sales bring to the table just for the Curado line alone.

Great point on the saltwater market. It surprises me how many saltwater anglers I talk to that know nothing about cleaning a reel. While I have no idea if it's true or not, I've always thought it was a reason Shimano doesn't use worm gear bearings in a lot of their reels. We all know how those pinion bearings like to corrode quickly :whistle: Lack of maintenance gets to those bearings quickly as they see a lot of saltwater contact. I've noticed they started using bushings on the worm gear on some newer reels, giving the option to change if needed.

greyhound
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by greyhound » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 pm

What do you guys think is the maximum lure weight (softbaits) that can be handled with this reel?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 am

I wouldn't toss giant swim baits with it for fear of spooling the reel but for flipping or punching I wouldn't hesitate to use anything. It is a very solid reel in a very compact form. I was tossing a 10in worm with a 1/2oz bullet and had no issues.

greyhound
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by greyhound » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:39 am

So 1oz in total shouldn't be an issue at all?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 pm

1oz wont be a problem at all.

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:23 am

jpd0144 wrote:
Another thing he mentioned was I was only seeing it as a fresh water guy. For those people who saltwater fish its a way of protection and added security to keeping the reel running as it should. He noted that some people even do the salt deal and don't clean as the should. So again added life for those who know no better or don't care to be OCD with their reels. Left me with a side note saying that I probably didn't realize how much the inshore and salt market sales bring to the table just for the Curado line alone.

While it might be hard for someone in a landlocked state (not saying you or anyone specific) to realize how much the saltwater market encompasses tackles sales, take it from me as someone working on a dock staring at a saltwater all day it is a substantial portion. Even big enough in some instances where companies will manufacture and market "inshore" specific reels that are not that far apart from their "freshwater" brethren.