Curado 70XG first... And second impressions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Flippin81
Angler
Angler

Curado 70XG first... And second impressions

Post by Flippin81 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:40 am

After first receiving this reel, I was super excited. Purchased it to be a flipping reel, punching 3/4-1 1/2 oz weights. I found myself having an immediate issue with the handle/knobs. I understand some bearings can be installed in the knobs, or even just upgrade the handle all together, and that issue may go away. With that said, I'm starting to feel kind of...meh... About the reel. Really wanted to come back to Shimano, but I'm not sure this is the reel for me. I honestly feel torn about it. Should I have purchased my first Daiwa... ? Just kind of putting thoughts to keyboard right now guys, but any opinions are welcome.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 70XG first... And second impressions

Post by CGrinder » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:30 pm

What's your issue with the handle/knobs?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:37 pm

I thought the same about Shimano, meh. I know they make good reels, I just couldn't get used to the 15 Aldebaran I had. The big thing was pitching and skipping. The reel was a good casting reel but, it wasn't as "free" pitching as any of my Daiwa reels are unless I turned the brakes off. I'd then have to open the side plate and turn brakes on for a normal cast. Not the case for my Daiwa reels. I can pitch, reel in, then let out a long bomb cast and back to pitching without monkey-ing around with the reel. I like the extra wind control of my Daiwa reels too.

Shimano reels are set it and forget it, which is nice. But, I'd rather the only negative be turning an external dial a couple times to adjust for conditions.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:38 pm

You could always purchase power septon knobs for it. If the handle is too short you could buy a longer handle such as that from the 13 Met. You purchased a Shimano's 70 series reel which is basically the replacement for the 50 platform. This size is between a BFS reel and a normal sized casting reel. What reels are you currently fishing?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Good question, what is the issue with the handle/knobs? They aren't comfortable or the handle is too short? I've left my 71XG stock to get a good feel for how the reel fishes under lots of different conditions, but very soon, I'll be installing a new handle/knobs as that's my only complaint about the reel. I will definitely add a bearing and put the Shimano Power Game knobs on there, which are still some of the most comfortable knobs I've ever fished with. Performance wise, it's been extremely impressive for me - casting, pitching, smoothness, retrieve rate, etc... I haven't punched 3/4 to 1.5 oz. weights with it, but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Flippin81
Angler
Angler

Post by Flippin81 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:28 am

I have been fishing with the more standard sized baitcasters (Revo STX, Curado 200, Lews BB1). In all honesty, I don't think the handle size is the issue (that's not to say I wouldn't like a Metanium handle more). I really believe I just need to install bearings in the knobs and try it. I love the reel aesthetically, and it is very smooth. It's my first compact baitcaster.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:53 am

Flippin81 wrote:I have been fishing with the more standard sized baitcasters (Revo STX, Curado 200, Lews BB1). In all honesty, I don't think the handle size is the issue (that's not to say I wouldn't like a Metanium handle more). I really believe I just need to install bearings in the knobs and try it. I love the reel aesthetically, and it is very smooth. It's my first compact baitcaster.

I personally just bought this reel, and I like it. It doesn't blow my socks off, but at the $165 new I paid for it, it's really nice. I agree it does need handle bearings, but I actually like the knobs and the handle better than on the old E models. I've been very impressed with skipping 3/8oz jigs under docks with mine...I didn't like the overall castability as much as expected.

If you're unhappy don't start throwing money at it...give it time and decide what to do. Speaking from experience an upgrade here or there only does so much, and unfortunately when you sell it the upgrades rarely help the selling price...aside from an Ebassfisher full polish and tune on the Daiwas.

I would recommend trying out the Daiwa SV 105. I bought it too this year and to me it's personally a lot more impressive and fun to fish. It won't quite have the power for heavier cranking apps that the oversized gearing in the Curado has, but it would be fine for flipping and punching. Maybe upgrade the drag on the Alphas that's it.

Flippin81
Angler
Angler

Post by Flippin81 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:56 am

Appreciate the insight! I guess you got it right on when you said the reel didn't blow your socks off. I guess I expected that. It really is an awesome little reel though!

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Fished my Curado the entire trip today. While it performed well, I definitely wish I would have kept my Scorption XT 1001's. Just my opinion...they were a lot more fun to fish with.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 pm

I got the Scorpion 70 HG last week and landed 6-7 lmb's on it this past saturday. I definitely prefer the 70 size over the 200's. The 70 seems to take a bit more braking (than 200) to keep the spool under control, though that's not a bad thing in my opinion. It just means its spins a bit more freely. The drag seems to be adequate for bass, and so far, I'm impressed with it. While I agree it doesn't blow my socks off, I didn't really expect it to. But it does see to do everything I need it to do, really well. I plan to purchase more.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 am

metanium wrote:I got the Scorpion 70 HG last week and landed 6-7 lmb's on it this past saturday. I definitely prefer the 70 size over the 200's. The 70 seems to take a bit more braking (than 200) to keep the spool under control, though that's not a bad thing in my opinion. It just means its spins a bit more freely. The drag seems to be adequate for bass, and so far, I'm impressed with it. While I agree it doesn't blow my socks off, I didn't really expect it to. But it does see to do everything I need it to do, really well. I plan to purchase more.
Go look at the chart I posted in the curado 70 thread, it shows the new braking profile. And while for $200 its not a world beater, I've had much more expensive reels i.e. the SS SV and Revo Elite 8 that left me saying... Meh.. And are relegated to the shelf and probably the classifieds eventually. Once I learned the brakes its definitely proved itself to me.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:51 am

Thanks Booty! It took me a minute to understand, but this makes complete sense to me now. I like that it takes more braking to get the spool under control, as it means there's more adjustability on the low-end of the braking range.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:22 am

metanium wrote:Thanks Booty! It took me a minute to understand, but this makes complete sense to me now. I like that it takes more braking to get the spool under control, as it means there's more adjustability on the low-end of the braking range.

They designed it with the intention of using the outside dial for most of the adjustments, but yeah, 4 on with the dial to 1 means about 2 on with the previous system.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:40 am

Bootytrain wrote:They designed it with the intention of using the outside dial for most of the adjustments, but yeah, 4 on with the dial to 1 means about 2 on with the previous system.
When I started fishing on Saturday, I had 2 brakes "ON" initially, and was getting some backlash with the outside dial up all the way. I ended up settling on 3 "ON" with the dial in the 4-8 range, while throwing a 5" weightless senko. After looking at the chart, it makes sense to me. Heck, I may end up with all 4 "ON", and just use the outside dial to adjust for lure changes & wind.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm

I would bet an order to Hedge Hog for a good set of bearings would wake it up a bit, sure made my Curado I come to life! Seemed to improve it more than other reels. Maybe clean the spool shaft and the brake drum as well.

Kurt