Curado E vs Curado I

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Curado E vs Curado I

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Can we see some pics and hear the story?
Stripped gears is a pretty big deal in a new production reel.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:27 pm

mdesouza wrote:
Frosty wrote:Gears stripped in my 71 Curado today. I won't be getting another [-X

What happened today that stripped the gears?
Nothing out of the ordinary. It's caught between 30-40 fish on about 3 trips as part of the rotation. Wednesday I thought the drag was acting up on a trip to the lake before work...it did it again today, but stayed out of gear, so to speak. It's like the handle disengages but the clutch is fully up, so I don't think it's the pinion. When you reel it the level wind goes but the spool freezes...I had to torque the drag down, put my finger on the spool and then eventually the gears remeshed (that's not a real word :lol: ) could just be a lemon but in all my years of fishing I've never seen this happen. Worst part is the reel was purchased about 3 weeks ago...it will be going back. :sick:

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Frosty wrote:Gears stripped in my 71 Curado today. I won't be getting another [-X
I havent stripped the gears and Ill be getting another :lol:

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:53 am

Bootytrain wrote:
It's always funny to me how people need reassurance from everyone that they're rod or reel is great. If you need to hear you're special, call mommy :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 am

Wouldn't really call that stripped gears, but it is a problem. Sounds like the clutch spring isn't re-engaging the clutch correctly. This happened to my Chronarch when the spring corroded. Could still push the thumbbar back up to re-engage the spool though.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Wouldn't really call that stripped gears, but it is a problem. Sounds like the clutch spring isn't re-engaging the clutch correctly. This happened to my Chronarch when the spring corroded. Could still push the thumbbar back up to re-engage the spool though.
It could be... First time it did it I had a 5 lb fish on, then it happened twice more. It was a decent little reel before that, and maybe they mainly are and I just got a lemon so to speak. I probably won't try another. Gear acting up will ruin a trip faster than anything.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:10 am

I understand that. Main reason why I quit buying anything Abu when they changed to their new gen 3 reels. Stupid clutch would get stuck all the time. Nothing ruins a trip faster than that [-(

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:43 am

hmm. on my older chronarch 101A and my new Curado 200i PG when the drag star is fully backed off (ie when its on my rod rack) when you turn the handle it doesn't always engage the spool.

you have to have some drag tension to do this.

I thought this was common to all baitcasters lol? or at least all shimanos? lol my chronarch was like this for years and years.\

when fishing, the drag is never fully backed off to nothing so I don't ever notice anything.

is this normal? I always thought it was??

-Hulk

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:29 am

Frosty wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
It's always funny to me how people need reassurance from everyone that they're rod or reel is great. If you need to hear you're special, call mommy :lol:
Reassurance? From YOU? :lol: not on your best day kid. Ive had a different experience than you and you get butt hurt over it? Change out your tampon and you will feel better :lol:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:52 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Frosty wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Reassurance? From YOU? :lol: not on your best day kid. Ive had a different experience than you and you get butt hurt over it? Change out your tampon and you will feel better :lol:
Internet.... :mrgreen:

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Frosty wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
Internet.... :mrgreen:
I guess posting gear reports isn't the purpose of this forum :lol: ;) . I'm thinking this is a BBC poster. I won't be taking advice from someone who's handle is "BootyTrain" :talk hand:

carter
Angler
Angler

Post by carter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:39 am

Frosty wrote:I guess posting gear reports isn't the purpose of this forum :lol: ;) . I'm thinking this is a BBC poster. I won't be taking advice from someone who's handle is "BootyTrain" :talk hand:
So you claim to have "stripped" the gears(without opening up the reel so see if that really happened) and you wont be buying another(who cares?) But instead of making a thread in the Shimano support forum you choose to spam it in as many threads as you can(and more than likely different forums). I dont recall ever giving you any advice,you posted your experience and I replied with mine, you got your thong twisted :lol: But what could one expect from a "Frosty"?

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:27 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Frosty wrote:I guess posting gear reports isn't the purpose of this forum :lol: ;) . I'm thinking this is a BBC poster. I won't be taking advice from someone who's handle is "BootyTrain" :talk hand:
So you claim to have "stripped" the gears(without opening up the reel so see if that really happened) and you wont be buying another(who cares?) But instead of making a thread in the Shimano support forum you choose to spam it in as many threads as you can(and more than likely different forums). I dont recall ever giving you any advice,you posted your experience and I replied with mine, you got your thong twisted :lol: But what could one expect from a "Frosty"?
Lmao go back and read your response. I posted what happened to mine on its third trip, and you trolled me. And no, I don't post in other forums, unlike you I have better things to with my time. You know things like work, not living in my mom's basement, not giving casting lessons to everyone on the forum... :lol: :-$ :sick:

And no I didn't open it up, it's a brand new reel. Whether it's the clutch, gears, whatever...it got sent back. Tear yours down if it floats your boat, oh wait that's right you're the dude who shore fishes public parks and kiddie ponds :lol: :lol:

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:45 am

Oh snaps.
Bootytrains, frostys and kiddy ponds. Oh my!

I loved the older e series and sold my 51e to try a 201i. So far so good. The brakes are what kept me from picking one up but couldn't resist for the price.
Imo, it's an average reel and worth its price but I still prefer the old vbs system. Not that this new one is bad but there is a learning curve and does need to be adjusted more frequently.
I'll hold onto my scorpion xt for the time being until I get more time on the water with the I series...

Whats wrong with fishing from shore? I've caught all of my peacock bass and a massive arrowana from shore. Not to mention the non natives and lmb. Not everyone can be cool and own a boat. :whistle: